Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Cave of Shadows
|Cave of Shadows|
|Game(s)||Twilight Princess HD|
|Main Item||Wallet Upgrade|
The Cave of Shadows is a dungeon similar to the Cave of Ordeals, though it features 40 floors and must be completed as Wolf Link, since Link cannot revert to his human form while in it. The Cave of Shadows also inhibits the use of Fairies, which will not revive Link when he runs out of Hearts should they be Bottled beforehand. If Link clears the final floor with the Giant Wallet in his possession, he will obtain the Colossal Wallet, which can hold up to 9,999 Rupees; otherwise, he will receive the next Wallet upgrade, moving the Colossal Wallet to Agitha.
The dungeon is split into three sections, one with five floors, the second with 15, and the last one with 20. After each section is a floor containing a Treasure Chest, then the dungeon must be left and re-entered again in order to access the next section. Floors cannot be skipped, so the dungeon must be traversed through three times to get to the end the first time. The first section can be accessed after restoring light to the Faron Province, the second section after watching Ganondorf's execution after Arbiter's Grounds, and the third section after obtaining the Sol-infused Master Sword in the Palace of Twilight. After completing the last floor of the dungeon, Link will obtain a Wallet upgrade from the Great Fairy. Then, a door in front of him opens, revealing a giant statue based on the Wolf Link amiibo. Standing on the three tiles in front of the Wolf Statue will each give different views of the statue, where the right tile gives a three-quarter view, middle tile gives a front view, and left tile allows jumping onto statue's head.
Upon completing a section of the Cave of Shadows, the game presents a score based on the amount of Hearts preserved, time taken, highest combo, and amiibo used while traversing it on a previous attempt. The Wolf Link amiibo can be used to save data of the number of Hearts preserved from that last attempt, which can then be scanned again while inside the cave to replenish Link's health to that amount.
Although enemies do not drop any Hearts, a single Heart can be digged up from the center of the room on the following floors: 6, 9, 13, 20, 27, 32 and 38.
Floors and Enemies
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||獣の試練 (Kemono no Shiren)||Trial of the Beast|
|FrenchEU||Épreuves du loup||Test of the Wolf|
|Italian||Antro Oscuro||Dark Cave|
|SpanishEU||Cueva de las Sombras|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 156
- "You have to play through this brutal challenge dungeon exclusively as Wolf Link." (Twilight Princess HD Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 429)
- "As a reward for your efforts, you'll be given the Colossal Wallet: a massive Rupee bag that can hold 9,999 Rupees!" (Twilight Princess HD Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 436)
- "The Cave of Shadows is broken down into three challenges, each one unlocks as you progress through the game [...] Each new challenge unlocks more floors for you to take, but the catch is you have to do all the floors from the previous floor to get to the new floors." (Twilight Princess HD Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 429)
- "Every time you complete one of the challenges you'll be met with the Record screen, which breaks down how long you have played, how many Hearts you lost during that playthrough, and how many enemies you defeated without taking any damage." (Twilight Princess HD Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 430)
- "Any Hearts you have at the end of a run through one of the Cave of Shadows' challenges will be stored in your Wolf Link amiibo." (Twilight Princess HD Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 429)