- This article is about Caves in general. For other uses, see Cave (Disambiguation)
Caves are recurring locations in The Legend of Zelda series. A Cave is a natural hollow space where monsters may hide and valuable treasure often lies. Potential treasure can range between Pieces of Heart to Rupees. Some Cave entrances are hidden, whose entrance may be underground or concealed behind a Bombable wall. In some of The Legend of Zelda games, Caves are dark and Link is required use a Lantern or Candle to see his way. The Cave concept is present in some form in many, if not all, Zelda games.
Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
In Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, these locations are known as Secret Grottoes, or simply Grottos. They are sealed underground, and may be unearthed by placing a Bomb, playing the "Song of Storms" or smashing the ground with the Megaton Hammer. Secret Grottoes are usually small and may only house a couple Rupees or sometimes a small Treasure Chest. They are often infested by Skulltulas, and many Secret Grottoes are covered in webs. Some webs may hold Pots suspended in the air, which can be shot down with a projectile weapon to receive their goods. Secret Grottoes also often contain small Bugs that may be caught in a Bottle. Link can exit a Secret Grotto by stepping into the beam of light that shines through the entrance hole, which will warp him out of the Cave.
The Wind Waker
- Main article: Secret Cave
In The Wind Waker, Secret Caves appear on various islands across the Great Sea. Their entrance lies underground, identically to the Secret Grottoes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. After completing a puzzle or killing all the monsters inside the Cave, a Treasure Chest is revealed.
In Twilight Princess, Caves appear throughout Hyrule in several regions. Some Caves, like the Secret Grottoes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, are underground and can only be entered by burrowing in as Wolf Link. These Cave entrances can be sensed while using his Wolf Senses; the entrances usually appear as large dark markings in the ground that sparkle. There are also much larger and more complex Cave tunnels known as Lantern Caverns, which are pitch dark inside and require the Lantern to navigate. These Caves have Torches inside which can be lit indefinitely.
Minor Enemies and Traps
Ocarina of Time
The Wind Waker
- In Twilight Princess, a remixed version of the Cave theme was featured in the Temple of Time dungeon.[verification needed]
A Secret Grotto near the Astral Observatory in Majora's Mask
- "Link played the Song of Storms near the castle entrance, revealing a secret grotto" (Ocarina of Time Official Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 125)
- "Drop into the fenced-off grotto by the Fairy's Fountain in North Clock Town to compete in the Deku Scrub Playground games." (Majora's Mask Official Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 126)