Castle Library Book
|Castle Library Book|
The Castle Library Books are objects in Breath of the Wild.
Location and Uses
The Castle Library Books are books that recorded important Recipes for the d are found inside Hyrule Castle's Library. The first Castle Library Book is situated on top of a table in the middle of the Library's bottom floor and describes the Recipe for Fruitcake. According to the book, Fruitcake was Zelda's favorite dish and helped to clear her head when she researched ancient Sheikah technology.
The second Castle Library Book is situated atop a podium in the east wing of the Library's second floor and provides instructions for Monster Cake. According to this book, Monster Cake affects one's brain and helps the consumer to plot malicious schemes.
The Castle Library Books are important for the Side Quest, "A Royal Recipe". In the Quest, a Hylian stablehand named Gotter asks Link to enter Hyrule Castle and find any Recipes that his ancestor, a chef serving the Royal Family, might have prepared.
- The effect of the Monster Cake allowing one to develop evil plots and the fact that it was the Chancellor's favorite dish both seem to be a reference to Chancellor Cole, Princess Zelda's retainer in Spirit Tracks who plotted to betray her and resurrect his master, the Demon King Malladus.
- As with other recipe books, the text reads "April First," "Today was a dry hot and sunny day," "I went to school," and "This diary is very important document" in Hylian on the first page. The second page reads "How To Cook."
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ハイラル城図書館の本 (Hairaru-jō Toshokan no Hon)||Hyrule Castle Library Book|
- "The Royal Family's Secret Recipe #1
The Princess's Favorite: Fruitcake.
Boil any two (or more) pieces of fruit with Tabantha wheat and cane sugar for a good while.
Eating this dish will apparently clear your head and help you focus on things such as ancient technology research." — Castle Library Book (Breath of the Wild)
- "The Royal Family's Secret Recipe #2
The Chancellor's Favorite: Monster Cake
Stew monster extract, Tabantha wheat, cane sugar, and goat butter for a spell.
It's a dangerous dish that makes your head fuzzy and may even motivate you to plan evil schemes!" — Castle Library Book (Breath of the Wild)
- "If you head north through Hyrule Field, you'll see the castle surrounded by that foul aura. It has long been a den of monsters, but in its glory days it was surely a thing of wondrous beauty. It was in that very castle in those very days that my ancestor... Hmm, my grandfather's grandfather, I believe... Anyway, he worked as the castle's appointed chef! I couldn't believe it myself! Oh, how I wonder what sorts of cuisine members of the royal court enjoyed in those good ol' days... As a child, I would often suffer meager meals, all while dreaming of the beautiful dishes that might have graced my plate. Oh, if only things had been different! Gourmet spiced meat, seafood curry, mushroom risotto, egg pudding... Oh, my, I think I'm salivating. And it's my pursuit of those childhood dreams that explains the fabulous body you see here! These days, I enjoy my time working at these stables, sharing my tales of beauty with any traveler willing to listen. But I still wonder what could have been. Anyway, excuse me... I seem to have caught myself prattling on. But looking upon your perfectly symmetrical face and discussing meals of beauty has rekindled my desire. If you should happen to set foot inside Hyrule Castle, could you find it in you to keep an eye out for a cookbook? There must be one lying around somewhere in there! I'm simply dying to finally sample the food of the royal court." — Gotter (Breath of the Wild)