In Spirit Tracks, unlike the other iterations of Soldiers, these Soldiers are unique as being members of the New Hyrule's government and society as opposed to the original Hyrule. In addition to regular Soldiers, part of the guard force in the game consists of new recruits. Donning the Recruit Uniform he obtained from Zelda, Link pretends to be a recruit, fooling the Guards into thinking he is one of them. In a modified version of the classic Stealth mission, Link must sneak Zelda out of the castle, engaging the Guards in conversation to distract them so Zelda can slip by. Since the Guards see Link as one of their own while he is wearing the uniform, they allow him to pass freely through the castle.
Guard training is overseen by Guard Captain Russell in the training hall at the rear of the castle. Here Link learns the art of sword fighting and obtains his first sword. Afterwards, he can return to hone his skills through Sword Training. In this mini-game, Link is pitted against the three Soldiers in the training room. In the same vein as Orca's sword training in The Wind Waker, Link must land as many blows on the Guards before he receives three. Link is rewarded by Captain Russell in accordance to the number of blows he inflicted.
At the Disorientation Station, Link encounters a Guard standing near the opening of a cave at the station. The Guard reveals that he and his friend secretly came to the area to search for a golden treasure. During their search, they stumbled upon a Fire Baba; the Soldier become frightened and ran away, leaving his friend behind. The Castle Guard, seeing Link's sword, asks Link to search the cave for him, giving him a riddle to help him navigate the maze. The Soldier tells the hero he can keep the treasure if he finds it, as he only wishes to see his friend return safely. In the cave, Link finds a message engraved in stone written by the Soldier's friend, who died in the cave. In his message, the Soldier reveals that he planned to take the treasure for himself. He apologizes for his selfishness and urges his friend to move on. After hearing this message from his deceased friend, the Soldier promises to live on for his friend's sake, giving Link 100 Rupees as a sign of gratitude.
Mario Kart 8
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 288
- "All right, please put this on right away. It's a recruit uniform. The guards are starting their patrols, so getting past them won't be easy. But if you wear this, they'll think you're one of them!" — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "These guards are pretty serious, so just pretend to be a new recruit. That way, if they see you, they'll just think you're one of them. But if they see me, I'm sure they'll make a big fuss and won't let me out. So please help me get past the guards without them seeing me, OK?" — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "Look! That guard isn't moving. He's just standing in the same place... Why don't you try to distract him somehow, [Link]? I can slip past him when he's looking the other way. . ." — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "Good work, Recruit! You've completed all the training exercises! Since you've got the basics down, I'll give you this sword!" — Russell (Spirit Tracks)
- "Oho! So you've come back, Recruit? Have you been training? Well then, let's have a little training game, shall we?" — Russell (Spirit Tracks)
- "The rules are simple: hit my three men there as many times as you can! If you hit them enough times, I'll give you something nice." — Russell (Spirit Tracks)
- "Hold on a second! Is that...a soldier from Hyrule Castle? What's he doing all the way out here?" — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "See, I came here with my friend to uncover a golden treasure. Oh, uh... I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't spread that to the other soldiers, OK?" — Soldier (Spirit Tracks)
- "We got halfway in, but then some big plant monster showed up! I was terrified, so I hightailed it out of there on my own." — Soldier (Spirit Tracks)
- "Hey, you have a sword. How about doing a bit of recon inside for me? I'm honestly too freaked out to set foot in there..." — Soldier (Spirit Tracks)
- "This cave is basically one big maze. But there's a riddle that tells you the way to the treasure. From a room that knows no south, follow the rocky trail north and north... There in the north lies the treasure, waiting to be discovered." — Soldier (Spirit Tracks)
- "I'll tell you what! You can keep whatever treasure you find. I promise. I just want to see my friend return safely." — Soldier (Spirit Tracks)
- "I can't seem to find the way out. I believe I am hopelessly lost. I don't think I have much longer left, so I want to apologize to you. I had originally intended to claim the treasure for myself... Even though you always looked out for me." — Soldier (Spirit Tracks)
- "Just move on with your life and please, think of me every once in a while. You are, were, and will always be my dearest friend." — Soldier (Spirit Tracks)
- "So that is what he was thinking in his last moments... And he wasn't angry at me, even though... This means so much to me. I feel like a great weight's been lifted off my shoulders. I'll live on, for his sake. Thank you for your help. Here, have this." — Soldier (Spirit Tracks)