- This article is about the Candle item from the The Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link. For the enemy in Oracle of Ages, see Kyandokyan.
Red Candle artwork from
The Legend of Zelda
|Other media||The Legend of Zelda comic|
|Cost(s)||60 Rupees (TLoZ)|
|Comparable Item(s)||Fire Rod|
Candles are items appearing in The Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link. They are usually used to light up dark areas, such as a dungeon room or a cave. Some later titles have replaced the Candle with the Lantern.
The Legend of Zelda
When used, they shoot a fire ball a few tiles ahead of Link, which will remain for a few seconds before disappearing. Although the flame's main function is to light up dark rooms in certain dungeons, it will also slightly damage anything that walks into it, including Link himself. The Candle's flame can also burn down certain bushes in the overworld to reveal hidden staircases, including those leading to Level-8 in the First Quest, and Level-7 in the Second Quest.
The Blue Candle is capable of only producing one flame per screen. The Red Candle can produce unlimited flames. Once the Red Candle is obtained, the Blue Candle will be thrown away from Link's equipment if he has one, and he will be unable to purchase it.
The Adventure of Link
In The Adventure of Link, the Candle can be found in the Parapa Palace after defeating an Iron Knuckle. It lights up otherwise pitch-black caves and allows Link to see any enemies who may dwell within. The Candle is an optional item. However, it is more difficult to navigate dark caves without it.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Candle||Blue Candle||Red Candle|
|Japanese|| ロウソク (Rōsoku) (TLoZ)
ローソク (Rōsoku) (TAoL)
|French||Bougie||Bougie Bleue||Bougie Rouge|
|German||Kerze||Blaue Kerze||Rote Kerze|
|SpanishLA||Vela||Vela azul||Vela roja|
- "Some of the rooms inside of the Labyrinths are really dark. So use these to brighten them up." (The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 25)
- "Blue candles are good for one screen only, but the red ones can light up rooms several screens." (The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 25)
- "GET CANDLE IN PARAPA PALACE. GO WEST." — Ruaru Town Child (The Adventure of Link)
- "When this is obtained, places that you had not been able to see until now because of the dark are lit up." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 46)