Link calls a Hawk using Hawk Grass in Twilight Princess
Calls are a recurring mechanic in The Legend of Zelda series. They are sounds that summon a character, enemy, or Animal, typically a Mount or Bird. A Call may also refer to the Instrument used to make the sound. In some games, Bokoblins blow horns to call for reinforcements, or to alert their camp when they spot Link.
Calls made indoors fail to summon the callee, as they cannot hear them.
A Link to the Past
- Main article: Flute
Ocarina of Time
Once Link escapes from Lon Lon Ranch with Epona, he can play "Epona's Song" to summon Epona from anywhere in Kingdom of Hyrule (but only as an adult). Link can play the "Scarecrow's Song" to summon Pierre.
Link can play "Epona's Song" to summon Epona from anywhere in Termina. As in Ocarina of Time, he can play the "Scarecrow's Song" to summon Pierre. He must play the "Oath to Order" to summon the Guardians to Clock Town.
Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages
Link gains the ability to summon one of the three Animal Companions based on whose Flute he obtains.
- Playing Dimitri's Flute summons Dimitri the dragon
- Playing Moosh's Flute summons Moosh the bear
- Playing Ricky's Flute summons Ricky the kangaroo
The Wind Waker
The Minish Cap
- Main article: Ocarina of Wind
Link can pick Grass Whistles and use them on-the-spot to summon an Animal – he cannot carry the grass with him. He whistles "Epona's Song" with Horse Grass to summon Epona. Hawk Grass summons a Hawk. Hanch is also seen using Hawk Grass.
At Lake Hylia, a Shadow Bulblin archer uses Horse Grass to summon the Twilit Carrier Kargarok. After Wolf Link defeats the Shadow Bulblin, he can summon the Twilit Carrier Kargarok by sitting at the Hawk Grass spot and mimicking the Call with a howl. Once Link dispels the Twilight at Lake Hylia, howling at the Hawk Grass summons a Kargarok used to play Fruit Pop Flight Challenge.
When Princess Zelda or Phantom Zelda is following Link, he can Call her to his current location. He can also play the "Song of Birds" to attract nearby Birds, including: Whip Birds, Doves, Crows, and Cuccos.
- Main article: Monster Horn
Breath of the Wild
- "Hey, why don't you go stand next to it and press to mimic that bird call?" — Midna (Twilight Princess HD)
- "Remember to call your bird promptly with once you dive off the edge." — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "You got the horse call! Ilia made this just for Epona. Now you can call Epona even when you can't find horse grass." — N/A (Twilight Princess HD)
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD — PRIMA Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 170
- "This is the call icon. Touch this icon when you and I are on separate paths, and I'll come to you!" — Phantom Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "Master, I will send word to the robot using telepathic transmission." — Fi (Skyward Sword)