Calip is a researcher who lives in a cabin at Fort Hateno. He spends his time researching Ancient Shrines while boasting about his accomplishments in the field of research. He demands that people address him by his professional title, Doctor Calip, claiming that he spent too much effort to simply be called by a standard honorific. He highly values his work to the degree that he refused to tell his family where he conducts his archaeological research.
If Link indulges in his desire to be honored with the title "Doctor," he will change his attitude towards Link and share some of his findings, directly quoting from the worn book on his table, An Ancient Text. This initiates the Shrine Quest "The Cursed Statue" as he dismisses Link to continue his research.
Starting at 6:00 AM, he rushes to the site of his fieldwork. He stays there until 5:00 PM, at which point he begins to return home to avoid the monsters that appear at night. If rain strikes as he is out, he will rush home, explaining that his metallic glasses are a conductive hazard for lightning. If a rain shower hits before he leaves for fieldwork, he cancels his trip until the rain passes.
If Link speaks to him while he is out of his cabin, he will allow Link to observe him work provided that he stays out of his way. After completing "The Cursed Statue", Calip will become determined to solve Kam Urog Shrine's mystery and continue to take trips out to his research site. There, he will comment on the timing of the Ancient Shrine's appearance.
- "And while I'm at it, it's "DOCTOR Calip," if you please. I didn't study my rear end off to be called "Mr. Calip."
Everyone forgets I'm a doctor for some reason..." — Calip (Breath of the Wild)
- "HA! Let me guess... You caught wind of the great Dr. Calip's groundbreaking research and just HAD to meet him for yourself. Heh... No? Don't tell me you've never even HEARD of me! After I dedicated my life to researching the ancient shrines?! *sigh* Well, you'd better remember my name, for it's not the last time you'll hear of it!" — Calip (Breath of the Wild)
- "And since you asked, I'll inform you that I'm engaged in analyzing ancient texts. I haven't time for idle chitchat. [Ancient texts?] Soon, my long years of research will be revealed...and all the world will hail it as the discovery of the century! To prevent any undue attention, I haven't even told my family about my work." — Calip (Breath of the Wild)
- "You'll understand, I'm sure. [Of course, Dr. Calip.]
Did I...just hear you call me doctor? As in, not merely Calip, but DOCTOR Calip? It rolled off your tongue so naturally. It was downright salivary! Hrm... This changes things... Very well then! I'm feeling charitable, so I'll let a few things spill. This is just between us, understand." — Calip (Breath of the Wild)
- ""When a dark light resides in the cursed statue's eyes, pierce its gaze to purge the seal from the shrine." I'm still in the process of deciphering that one, so I don't suppose there's any harm in sharing it with you." — Calip (Breath of the Wild)
- "That's my life in a nutshell. Days filled with researching shrines and nights spent studying ancient texts. That leaves me no time to converse with passing strangers, so farewell." — Calip (Breath of the Wild)
- "I only do fieldwork at shrines and ruins during the day. Why, you ask? Hmm, could it have something to do with the hordes of monsters roaming at night? What an ignoramus..." — Calip (Breath of the Wild)
- "I mustn't be outside right now! My glasses are unfortunately metallic, so I must remain indoors at all costs! [What do you mean?] I don't mind a little rain, but the lightning in Hyrule is alarmingly attracted to anything metallic. No, on days like this, it's best to shut oneself in and wait for the rain to clear. If you must go gallivanting across the countryside, take care you don't get struck, at least." — Calip (Breath of the Wild)
- "Today's research trip is on hold. My glasses are unfortunately metallic... In this weather, my life could be at risk!" — Calip (Breath of the Wild)
- "You again? What now? You want to tag along on my fieldwork? Well, I suppose it might do you some good to see an expert at work. Just try to stay out of the way." — Calip (Breath of the Wild)
- "Huh. The mystery deepens... My only response can be to redouble my efforts—now that the shrine is visible—to solve the mystery at last!" — Calip (Breath of the Wild)
- "A shrine? Here? But I hadn't completed my inquiry into the mystery of the ancient texts. Hrm... This must be what we in the archaeology profession refer to as a "stroke of luck." Er, not that I believe in any such thing..." — Calip (Breath of the Wild)