Calamity Ganon Tapestry
|Calamity Ganon Tapestry|
Location and Uses
The Calamity Ganon Tapestry is a scroll created by the Sheikah that depicts the events of the Era of Prosperity leading to the first Great Calamity 10,000 years prior to the events of Breath of the Wild. It is split into sections depicting three primary events. The top section depicts the great prosperity that Hyrule once had. Hyrule Castle can be seen at the center of the top section, flanked by Sheikah Towers which were used to detect Calamity Ganon's presence. The top section also depicts ancient Sheikah with the Sheikah Slate as well as the ancient King of Hyrule surrounded by Soldiers and his worshipers.
The central section of the Tapestry depicts the battle against Calamity Ganon: the Princess with the blood of the Goddess and her hero chosen by the Master Sword aided by 130 Guardian Stalkers, 61 Sheikah Monks, and four Champions piloting four Divine Beasts in repelling and sealing away Ganon. The bottom portion of the Tapestry shows how following Calamity Ganon's sealing, the people of Hyrule began to fear the power of the Sheikah technology, prompting the King of Hyrule to destroy all the advancements made by the Sheikah and actively oppress them in fear of their betrayal. As a response, the Sheikah were split into two factions: those who remained loyal to Hylia and would work to aid the Hylians by secreting their technology away in Ancient Shrines until Ganon's return, and those who rejected their ties to Hylia and the Hylians who betrayed them by taking refuge in the Gerudo Region and resolving to aid Calamity Ganon's return.
The Tapestry sits inside Impa's House in Kakariko Village, where she uses it to inform Link of Hyrule's past and of Calamity Ganon's nature. The same story was preserved in song form by Kass's late teacher, who passed it down to his apprentice. Consequently, the Tapestry is seen when listening to one of Kass's Ancient Songs.
- "Relic of Hyrule: Calamity Ganon Tapestry and Weather-Worn Map" — Nintendo, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Special Edition for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details, Official Nintendo Site (Image), published n.d., retrieved December 1, 2018.
- "The Driving Out and Division of the Sheikah
The lower portion of the tapestry illustrates what happened following the sealing of Ganon ten thousand years ago. On the far left are citizens of Hyrule behind the king of Hyrule, who is ordering his soldiers to pursue the fleeing Sheikah. To the right the Sheikah divide into those who retreated into their devotion to the goddess Hylia and those who became militant. Since the Sheikah symbol is visible in the center of the border design, it is likely that the story is told from their perspective." (Creating a Champion pg. 367)
- "Life in Hyrule
Woodcutters, farmers, horses carrying goods, and a lively town are illustrated here." (Creating a Champion pg. 366)
- "Sealing Support
Calmity Ganon is visible in the center of the tapestry surrounded by many Guardians and Sheikah monks. The four Divine Beasts—Vah Ruta, Vah Rudania, Vah Medoh, and Vah Naboris—can be seen in the corners, as can the four skilled Champions chosen to operate them. It is said that the fifteen Sheikah Towers were to act like radar to detect signs of Calamity Ganon's reappearance as quickly as possible." (Creating a Champion pg. 367)
- "The Sheikah and the Sheikah Slate
The Sheikah possessed advanced technology, some of which has survived through the ages. The Sheikah Slate, which would be recovered as a relic ten thousand years later, can be seen in this illustration, along with a stone that seems to be a power source. To the right of them is a figure who appears to be the king of Hyrule flanked by soldiers, and behind them, astonished figures." (Creating a Champion pg. 367)
- "The royal family of Hyrule feels threatened by the Sheikah's advanced technology and drives them away." (Creating a Champion pg. 362)
- "Ten thousand years ago, the kingdom of Hyrule reached an advanced level of civilization thanks in no small part to the technological prowess of the Sheikah. The Sheikah have worked from the shadows to support Hyrule's royal family since the era of myth, and their contributions have been significant. Their technology was key in helping the chosen hero and the princess seal Ganon away ten thousand years in the past and usher in an age of peace, but the king of Hyrule at the time began to fear and doubt the Sheikah. He became possessed by thoughts of imagined Sheikah betrayal. He issued an order to abolish technology and began to oppress the Sheikah. The Sheikah's laboratories were closed, research was prohibited, and data was destroyed." (Creating a Champion pg. 368)