Friend of Hyrule
Cadence is one of the main protagonists in Cadence of Hyrule.
Cadence is the daughter of a famous treasure hunter who went missing one day after searching for a magical golden lute. While trying to find her father, Cadence fell into a massive crypt controlled by a dark magician known as the NecroDancer and had her heart separated from her body. She was then forced to traverse the many dungeons of the crypt and slay the NecroDancer's minions, her every movement timed with the beat of her heart.
After awakening either Link or Zelda, she bids them farewell and wishes them good luck on their quests before taking off to find a way home. Afterwards, she can be found within five special caves within Hyrule, where she gives the heroes special items that she's found while fighting off monsters. The items depend on the order that she's encountered, with the exception of the cave next to Link's House, where she always gives a spare Shovel. The remaining four caves can be found in Death Mountain, Gerudo Desert, Lake Hylia, and the Lost Woods. The items are:
- First Cave: Lute, which helps them use Sheikah Stones as warping points.
- Second Cave: Spin Attack if Link finds her. Din's Fire if Zelda finds her.
- Third Cave: Shield Technique.
If Cadence has not joined the party before they reach Ganon, she will automatically appear in Hyrule Castle in the hallway where the portal to the Future World has opened, commenting that the world inside it looks like her home.
Once Cadence has joined the heroes, she is able to use any Weapon and item that they have collected over their journey, but with the exception of Long Swords and Rapiers. However, she able to wield Greatshovels, including the legendary Eli's Greatshovel, which can attack up to 3 enemies at once and attack from around corners, along with digging up to 3 tiles at once. Similar to Link, she can use the Shield and any of its upgrades as a means of defense.
Her special offensive ability is the Shovel Strike, which is a special attack where she jams a shovel into the ground, causing six stalagmites to rise from the earth and attack enemies in a 2x3 rectangular formation.
Her name is a reference to Cadence, a musical term referring to a special sequence of notes and chords within a song.
- Cadence is the main protagonist of Crypt of the NecroDancer, and some of her dialogue alludes to that game's events.
- "That flash! It looked like the Triforce! I knew you were special! Thank you for helping to wake Zelda. She has been asleep for a while, so I'm going to stay with her to explain what's going on in Hyrule. You should try to find your way home! I hope our paths cross again someday soon, friend of Hyrule!" — Trill (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "Hey! Hey, you! I saw you fall from the sky! That landing wasn't very graceful. Are you okay? Oh! You're not Hylian? So you're new here! I'm Trill. Nice to meet you!" — Trill (Cadence of Hyrule)
- Elspeth Eastman, Latest Projects, Voice Actor & Composer Elspeth Eastman, retrieved March 21, 2019.