Business Scrubs are recurring Deku Scrubs in The Legend of Zelda series. They appear all across the land, wherever business and profit can be gained off of items that require replenishment Link may need during his journey. Thinking Link is an enemy, they fire Deku Nuts at him to keep him away whenever he is within their range. By reflecting one of the Deku Nuts back at them, they will succumb and offer Link a deal on merchandise, often items such as Deku Sticks, Arrows, Bombs, or Potions charging a bit more in price than local shops would to make profit.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Business Scrubs appeared in a multitude of places. They can be found underground, selling items such as Bombs, Potions, Arrows, and Deku Nuts. One scrub can be found in Dodongo's Cavern, selling Deku Shields. Another can be found in Hyrule Field inside a Secret Grotto nearby the entrance of Lake Hylia, selling a Piece of Heart. Two others can be found hidden in the Lost Woods, selling Link a Deku Stick and a Deku Nut upgrade.
There are seven Business Scrubs in Majora's Mask. Two of them run the Deku Scrub Playground in North Clock Town. The other five are merchants spread across the five regions of Termina. They are members of the Business Scrub Association and are the participants in the game's trading sequence, of which the first part is required to complete the game. The trading sequence consists of exchanging Title Deeds between Business Scrubs so they can fulfill their dreams of moving to different regions. Each of the five Deku Flowers vacated by one of the Scrubs can be used to reach a Piece of Heart.
The Scrub who owns the yellow Deku Flower in South Clock Town has already sold out his wares ahead of the Carnival of Time. He wises to return to his home village, but not before buying a Moon's Tear as a souvenir for his wife. When Link gives him one, he gives the Town Title Deed in return, then leaves Clock Town with his belongings. Deku Link can then use the vacant Deku Flower to reach the platform in front of Clock Tower.
If Link then returns to the Astral Observatory and looks through the telescope, he will see the Business Scrub leave Clock Town and go into a Cave in Termina Field just outside the observatory. If Link enters the cave and speaks to the Business Scrub, he will explain that it is his secret storage. He will sell Link a Piece of Heart for 150 Rupees in exchange for keeping it a secret. Refusing the offer will prompt the Scrub to lower the price to 100 Rupees. If Link declines again, or can't afford it,[verification needed] the Business Scrub loses his patience and leaves for the remainder of the three-day cycle. Even if Link accepts the offer and buys the Piece of Heart, the Scrub decides to move his storage just to be safe.
Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages, Business Scrubs lay hidden beneath certain bushes that cannot be cut or destroyed, and will pop up when Link walks near them. Unlike other incarnations of Business Scrubs, they will not attack Link. The Business Scrubs often sell Shields, and their prices can vary from scrub to scrub. A few others sell Bombs and Mystical Seeds. In Oracle of Seasons, a certain Scrub in Spool Swamp offers Link helpful information for his quest in order to entice him to buy a Shield.
The Minish Cap
In The Minish Cap, a Business Scrub is found blocking the route to Hyrule Castle. To reach the castle, Link must use the new Shield that Princess Zelda gives to him in order to deflect its seed. A conversation ensues and the Business Scrub relates that its seed shooting is unintentional, as it scares people and no one will buy anything. At some parts of the game, Link must fight Business Scrubs to buy items, one selling a Grip Ring needed for climbing up rocky walls.
|Business Scrub (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
|Appears in caves, etc. Normally stay underground. They'll pop out and spit seeds at you, but if you get to know 'em they're not so bad.|
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||アキンドナッツ (Akindo Nattsu)||Merchant Nuts|
|ChineseSI||小贩果 (Xiǎofàn Guǒ)||Peddler Scrub|
|French||Peste Marchande||Merchant Pest|
Reicher Laubkerl (OoT)
Cespuglio Business (OoS | OoA)
|Spanish||Matorral mercader||Merchant scrub|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 169 (OoT | OoT3D | TMC) & 244 (MM | MM3D)
- "I give up! If you let me go, I will sell you a Deku Shield! It's 50 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "All right! You win! In return for sparing me, I will sell you a Piece of Heart! 1 piece 10 Rupees it is!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "I surrender! To make your quest easier, I can enable you to pick up more Deku Sticks! But, it'll cost you 40 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "I surrender! To make your quest easier, I can enable you to pick up more Deku Nuts! But, it'll cost you 40 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "I've already sold out of my wares, and the carnival hasn't even begun. I'm thinking of closing up shop so I can buy a gift for my wife and return to her in my village!" — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "It's not that I don't believe you, but just to be safe, I'm moving my storage! You hurry up and get out, too!" — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "Let me share my wisdom! South of the floodgates is a strange vortex! It seems to be linked to another world! I offered my wisdom, so... Buy something!" — Business Scrub (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Owwwwch! That must be the Business Scrub I heard the soldiers talking about. They were saying a Deku Scrub had been hassling all the passersby. Link, do something about it! Otherwise, we can't get to the castle. If only we had some way to defend ourselves against those nuts of his." — Princess Zelda (The Minish Cap)
- "I heard there was a festival, and I came to town hoping to hawk my wares. Unfortunately, we scrubs have a tendency to spit nuts when we speak! Everyone got scared and ran away, and no one would buy anything! This is a terrible place to do business! I'm going back to my cave!" — Business Scrub (The Minish Cap)
- "OK, ya got me! Let me make it up to ya! This fabulous Grip Ring is just perfect for a young mountaineer like yourself!" — Business Scrub (The Minish Cap)