Bussiness Scrub from Majora's Mask
Business Scrubs are recurring Deku Scrubs in The Legend of Zelda series. They appear all across the land, wherever business and profit can be gained off of items that require replenishment Link may need during his journey. Thinking Link is an enemy, they fire Deku Nuts at him to keep him away whenever he is within their range. By reflecting one of the Deku Nuts back at them, they will succumb and offer Link a deal on merchandise, often items such as Deku Sticks, Arrows, Bombs, or Potions charging a bit more in price than local shops would to make profit.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Business Scrubs appeared in a multitude of places. They can be found underground, selling items such as Bombs, Potions, Arrows, and Deku Nuts. One scrub can be found in Dodongo's Cavern, selling Deku Shields. Another can be found in Hyrule Field inside a Secret Grotto nearby the entrance of Lake Hylia, selling a Piece of Heart. Two others can be found hidden in the Lost Woods, selling Link a Deku Stick and a Deku Nut upgrade.
In Majora's Mask, many Business Scrubs are part of a trading sequence, the beginning of which is required to complete the game. The sequence starts by collecting the Moon's Tear from the Astral Observatory by looking through the telescope. Once Link acquires it, he can go to the gold-colored Deku Flower in South Clock Town and talk to the scrub there. Once he is shown the Moon's Tear, he will become excited and give Link a Land Title Deed, giving him permission to use the flower. This is important at the beginning of the game, as it is the only way to get to the top of the Clock Tower at this time. Deku Link may then use the flower to fly to the Clock Tower.
Each Business Scrub participating in the trading sequence is given a distinct desire relating to the desired deed. The Business Scrub in the Southern Swamp professes a desire to live in town and trades the Swamp Title Deed for the Land Title Deed. The scrub in Goron Village is homesick for the swamps and trades the Mountain Title Deed for the Swamp one. The Business Scrub renting Lulu's room in Zora Hall longs for the better life in a mountain resort, and trades the Ocean Title Deed for the Mountain one. The final scrub in Ikana Canyon desires to work around tanned beauties, and trades a Huge Rupee for the Ocean Title Deed. If Link uses an emptied Deku Flower before giving it away to the next scrub, he can find a Piece of Heart nearby.
If Link returns to the Astral Observatory and looks through the telescope after trading the Moon's Tear for the Land Title Deed, the Clock Town Business Scrub can be seen flying to a new location; a secret grotto in Termina Field, just outside of the observatory. The Business Scrub asks Link to keep his location a secret, and will offer to sell Link a Piece of Heart for 150 Rupees. Refusing the offer will prompt him to lower the price to 100 Rupees, and refusing a second time will cause him to pack his bags and permanently leave for the remainder of the three-day cycle.
The Business Scrubs involved in the trading sequence are all members of the Business Scrub Association, which restricts their commerce to particular races. Additionally, two Business Scrubs run the Deku Scrub Playground in North Clock Town.
Wares and Pricing
|Termina Field||Piece of Heart||
100 Rupees (subsequent offer)
|Must trade the Moon's Tear for the Land Title Deed, and subsequently view the Astral Observatory telescope|
|Southern Swamp||Magic Beans||Deku Link only|
|Goron Village||Biggest Bomb Bag||Goron Link only|
|Zora Hall||Green Potion||Zora Link only|
|Ikana Canyon||Blue Potion|
In the Oracle series, Business Scrubs lay hidden beneath certain bushes that cannot be cut or destroyed, and will pop up when Link walks near them. Unlike other incarnations of Business Scrubs, they will not attack Link. The Business Scrubs often sell Shields, and their prices can vary from scrub to scrub. A few others sell Bombs and Mystical Seeds. In Oracle of Seasons, a certain Scrub in Spool Swamp offers Link helpful information for his quest in order to entice him to buy a Shield.
The Minish Cap
In The Minish Cap, a Business Scrub is found blocking the route to Hyrule Castle. To reach the castle, Link must use the new Shield that Princess Zelda gives to him in order to deflect its seed. A conversation ensues and the Business Scrub relates that its seed shooting is unintentional, as it scares people and no one will buy anything. At some parts of the game, Link must fight Business Scrubs to buy items, one selling a Grip Ring needed for climbing up rocky walls.
|Business Scrub (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
|Appears in caves, etc. Normally stay underground. They'll pop out and spit seeds at Link, but if he gets to know 'em they're not so bad.|
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||アキンドナッツ (Akindo Nattsu)||Merchant Nuts|
|ChineseSI||小贩果 (Xiǎofàn Guǒ)||Peddler Scrub|
|French||Peste Marchande||Merchant Pest|
|German||Reicher Laubkerl||Rich Foliage Guy|
Cespuglio Business (OoX)
|Spanish||Matorral mercader||Merchant scrub|
- "I give up! If you let me go, I will sell you a Deku Shield! It's 50 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "All right! You win! In return for sparing me, I will sell you a Piece of Heart! 1 piece 10 Rupees it is!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "I surrender! To make your quest easier, I can enable you to pick up more Deku Sticks! But, it'll cost you 40 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "I surrender! To make your quest easier, I can enable you to pick up more Deku Nuts! But, it'll cost you 40 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "I've heard that a stone called the Moon's Tear shines brighter than any other in the land! If you've got one, I'd really like to get it from you. My wife would love it! If you give it to me, I'll give you my spot here... Deku Flower included!" — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "I sell Magic Beans to Deku Scrubs, but I'd really like to leave my hometown. I'm hoping to find some success in a livelier place!" — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "Oh! That's a Town Land Title Deed! I wish you'd let me have that. I'll give you this land in return! Deal?" — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "I sell bomb bags, but I'm focusing my marketing efforts on Gorons. What I'd really like to do is go back home and do business where I'm surrounded by trees and grass." — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "Ah! That's a Swamp Title Deed! I wish you would give that to me! I'll give you this land in exchange! I'm going right back to the swamp!" — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "I'm selling Green Potions, but I'm focusing my marketing efforts on Zoras. Actually, I'd like to do business someplace where it's cooler and the air is clean." — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "Oh, that's a Mountain Title Deed! Thank you! Yahoo! I'm off to the resort! The mountains are calling me!" — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "I'm here to sell Blue Potion. Actually, I want to do business in the sea breeze while listening to the sound of the waves." — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "Oh! If that isn't an Ocean Title Deed. Let me have that! Please. If I have that, my dreams will come true! I'm not asking for it for free. I'll give you this! Oh, yeeeeah! The nut-brown beauties are waiting!" — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "I'm sorry, but I can't do business with you if you're not a Goron. It's a regulation of the Business Scrub Association. It can't be helped. ...It hurts, I know." — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "Ah! What are you doing here? This is my secret storage unit. It's a problem if you come in here without permission! Please! I'll sell you a Piece of Heart if you just keep this place a secret... 150 Rupees for one!" — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "Thanks for stopping by! I'm doing business with a focus on a Deku Scrub clientele. [...] Do you know what magic beans are, sir?I'll sell you one for 10 Rupees." — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "Thanks for stopping by! I'm doing business with a focus on a Goron clientele. And that, sir, makes you a customer. Right now, I've got a special trade-in offer just for you. I'll give you my Biggest Bomb Bag, regularly priced at 1000 Rupees... In return, you'll give me your Big Bomb Bag and just 200 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "Thanks for stopping by! I'm doing business with a focus on Zoras. That makes you a potential customer. [...] I'll sell you a Green Potion for 40 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "Thanks for stopping by! I'm doing business here in this canyon. [...] Don't you need any Blue Potion in case you get cursed? One drink is 100 Rupees." — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "Let me share my wisdom! South of the floodgates is a strange vortex! It seems to be linked to another world! I offered my wisdom, so... Buy something!" — Business Scrub (Oracle of Seasons)
- "That must be the Business Scrub I heard the soldiers talking about. They were saying a Deku Scrub had been hassling all the passersby. Link, do something about it! Otherwise, we can't get to the castle. If only we had some way to defend ourselves against those nuts of his." — Princess Zelda (The Minish Cap)
- "I heard there was a festival, and I came to town hoping to hawk my wares. Unfortunately, we scrubs have a tendency to spit nuts when we speak! Everyone got scared and ran away, and no one would buy anything! This is a terrible place to do business! I'm going back to my cave!" — Business Scrub (The Minish Cap)
- "OK, ya got me! Let me make it up to ya! This fabulous Grip Ring is just perfect for a young mountaineer like yourself!" — Business Scrub (The Minish Cap)