BowWow is one of Madam MeowMeow's three pets, being the biggest of them and the only one kept outdoors. Like the Chain Chomps of A Link to the Past, BowWow charges at Link when he approaches, although he is completely harmless. When Link comes back from Toronbo Shores after completing Tail Cave, a pair of Quadruplets near the Village Library will inform him that BowWow has been kidnapped by a gang of Moblins. Link can go to Madam MeowMeow's House in Mabe Village only to find her panicked and begging for help.
To rescue BowWow, Link must enter Moblin Cave located in Tal Tal Heights and defeat King Moblin who will comment on Link's objective. After King Moblin is defeated, BowWow can be found chained to a rock in the next room. If Link returns to Madam MeowMeow before completing Bottle Grotto, she will ask Link to take BowWow for a walk.
While Link is taking BowWow for a walk, he will have many interactions with the world such as telling Link where to dig for Secret Seashells, swallowing enemies such as Goponga Flowers, which are blocking the entrance to Bottle Grotto. Although he allows Link to clear the entrance of the Dungeon, he can not enter it himself. If Link tries to enter Richard's Villa, Prince Richard will ask him not to enter with BowWow, thus preventing Link from entering Richard's Villa until he returns BowWow to his Madam MeowMeow. If Link has completed the Dungeon and calls Grandpa Ulrira, he will tell Link to bring back BowWow to Madam MeowMeow. When he does, she will take BowWow back and express her gratitude in the form of a kiss, which fully heals Link's Heart Meter.
In Link's Awakening DX, after Link has returned BowWow and has met the Photographer, he can stand next to BowWow and let the Photographer take a Photograph for The Travels of Link that he will name "Link Plays With BowWow".
- A Signpost near the western entrance of Goponga Swamp warns adventurers to keep out due to the imminent danger that it represents, except for BowWow. This is because he is the only one able to eat the Goponga Flowers present in Goponga Swamp.
- The Japanese name for BowWow and Chain Chomp is Wanwan (ワンワン), the Japanese onomatopoeia for a barking sound, making it a inadvertently literal translation of the Mario enemy.
- When Link first meets BowWow, he strains against his post attempting to attack him, but after Link has returned him to his master, he will jump up and down in glee, attempting to play with him.
His name is mostly a reference to the sound he sometimes makes when barking.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 170
- "Ho ho ho! My BowWow is so proud of his fine fur coat!" — Madam MeowMeow (Link's Awakening DX)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 233 (LA)
- "Hey buddy! It's serious! Yeah, really serious!! Yeah, it is! The Moblins came to the village! Yeah, that's right! A whole gang of Moblins! Then... It's for real! They all went to the house... Yeah, that house, and then they did something at Bow Wow's house!! It was a really bad scene, with the M-m-moblins! So, I mean, ahh! ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... It might be faster to find out for yourself what happened!" — Quadruplet (Link's Awakening DX)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America Inc. pg. 32
- "AIEEEEEEEE! It's terrrrible! My BowWow was dognapped by... Mo-mo-MOBLINS!! OHHH! AHHHH! Please! Somebody help my poor BowWow!!" — Madam MeowMeow (Link's Awakening DX)
- "You must be an assassin sent by Madam MeowMeow to rescue the mutt! You came here to get me, but it is I who will get you!!" — King Moblin (Link's Awakening DX)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America Inc. pg. 33
- "Oh thank you! I'm so happy you brought my baby back! Now, would you be a dear and take him for a walk? It would really help me out a lot! You will?! Thanks!" — Madam MeowMeow (Link's Awakening DX)
- "WOOF! Dig! RUFF!" — BowWow (Link's Awakening DX)
- "'BRRING! BRRING! Yes, this is Ulrira. The Indigestible Flowers of Goponga Swamp... Those flowers are BowWow's favorite. Why don't you take him for a walk there? CLICK!'" — Grandpa Ulrira (Link's Awakening DX)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America Inc. pg. 34
- "Ahem! Really, I must insist that you not bring that awful beast in here! Leave that creature outside and then we can talk! Good Bye!" — Prince Richard (Link's Awakening DX)
- "'BRRING! BRRING! Ulrira at your service! Oh? You should take BowWow home now, Madam MeowMeow would appreciate it! Bye! CLICK!'" — Grandpa Ulrira (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Ho ho ho! I really appreciate what you did for my poor, precious BowWow! You are such a nice boy! How can I ever repay you? I know... SMOOOOOOOCH! You got a reward from Madam MeowMeow... ... ... L-l-lucky!" — Madam MeowMeow (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Hey, that looks great! I'll call it 'Link Plays With BowWow!' Now get closer to BowWow!" — Photographer (Link's Awakening DX)
- "DANGER! Keep out! (Except BowWow)" — Signpost (Link's Awakening DX)
- "BOW WOW! BOW WOW!" — BowWow (Link's Awakening DX)