|Era||Era of Light and Dark|
|Family||Madam MeowMeow (owner)|
BowWow is one of Madam MeowMeow's three pets, being the biggest of them and the only one kept outdoors. Like the Chain Chomps of A Link to the Past, BowWow charges at Link when he approaches, although he is completely harmless. When Link comes back from Toronbo Shores after completing Tail Cave, a pair of boys near the Village Library will inform him that BowWow has been kidnapped by a gang of Moblins. Link can go to Madam MeowMeow's House in Mabe Village only to find her panicked and begging for help.
To rescue BowWow, Link must enter Moblin Cave located in Tal Tal Heights and defeat King Moblin who will comment on Link's objective. After the Moblin is defeated, BowWow can be found chained to a rock in the next room. If Link returns to Madam MeowMeow before completing Bottle Grotto, she will ask Link to take BowWow for a walk.
While Link is taking BowWow for a walk, he will have many interactions with the world such as telling Link where to dig for Secret Seashells, swallowing Enemies, and eating Indigestible Flowers, which are blocking the entrance to Bottle Grotto. Although he allows Link to clear the entrance of the Dungeon, he can not enter it himself. If Link tries to enter Prince Richard's Villa, he will ask him not to enter with BowWow, thus preventing Link from entering the Villa until he returns BowWow to his owner. If Link has completed the Dungeon and calls Grandpa Ulrira, he will tell Link to bring back BowWow to Madam MeowMeow. When he does, she will take BowWow back and express her gratitude in the form of a kiss, which heals Link to full Health.
In Link's Awakening DX, after Link has returned BowWow and has met the Photographer, he can stand next to BowWow and let the Photographer take a Photo for The Travels of Link that he will name "Link Plays With BowWow".
- A sign near the western entrance of Goponga Swamp tells adventurers to keep out due to the imminent danger that the Swamp represents, except for BowWow. This is because he is the only one able to eat the Indigestible Flowers that are present in the Swamp.
His name is mostly a reference to the sound he sometimes makes when barking.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Toutou||Infant word for "Dog".|
Cutscene of Link Plays With BowWow from Link's Awakening DX
- "Chain Chomp
A chomping, onyx-colored ball on a heavy chain that originally appeared in the Super Mario Bros. series. Though invulnerable, they are thankfully held back by the chain hammered into the ground and cannot move beyond a certain range of attack. Because of this, they are not a threat if Link keeps his distance. In A Link to the Past, these toothy wrecking balls twice appear [sic] in Turtle Rock. They can also be found in Link's Awakening, but instead serve as allies to Link's cause." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 170)
- "Ho ho ho! My BowWow is so proud of his fine fur coat!" — Madam MeowMeow (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Pet" (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 233 (LA))
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 233 (LA)
- "Hey buddy! It's serious! Yeah, really serious!! Yeah, it is! The Moblins came to the village! Yeah, that's right! A whole gang of Moblins! Then... It's for real! They all went to the house... Yeah, that house, and then they did something at Bow Wow's house!! It was a really bad scene, with the M-m-moblins! So, I mean, ahh! ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... It might be faster to find out for yourself what happened!" — TBD (Link's Awakening DX)
- "When you return from the Tail Cave, you'll learn that Moblins have kidnapped Madam MeowMeow [sic]'s precious pooch." (The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening Player's Guide (Nintendo of America Inc. & Tokuma Shoten Publishing Co., Ltd.), pg. 32)
- "AIEEEEEEEE! It's terrrrible! My BowWow was dognapped by... Mo-mo-MOBLINS!! OHHH! AHHHH! Please! Somebody help my poor BowWow!!" — Madam MeowMeow (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Return to Mabe Village and talk to Madame MeowMeow [sic]. She'll ask you to go on a rescue mission. Go north to the Moblin Cave at Tal Tal Heights. Enter and defeat the main Moblin to rescue BowWow. Take him to Goponga Swamp and have him eat the flowers that block the Cave entrance." (The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening Player's Guide (Nintendo of America Inc. & Tokuma Shoten Publishing Co., Ltd.), pg. 32)
- "You must be an assassin sent by Madam MeowMeow to rescue the mutt! You came here to get me, but it is I who will get you!!" — King Moblin (Link's Awakening DX)
After you beat the main Moblin, walk to the right into the next room to unchain BowWow. Take him with you." (The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening Player's Guide (Nintendo of America Inc. & Tokuma Shoten Publishing Co., Ltd.), pg. 33)
- "Oh thank you! I'm so happy you brought my baby back! Now, would you be a dear and take him for a walk? It would really help me out a lot! You will?! Thanks!" — Madam MeowMeow (Link's Awakening DX)
- "If you return to Mabe Village with BowWow, Madame MeowMeow [sic] will thank you and ask you to take him for a walk. He has a sharp nose and can sniff out Secret Shells—if you have the Shovel." (The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening Player's Guide (Nintendo of America Inc. & Tokuma Shoten Publishing Co., Ltd.), pg. 33)
- "WOOF! Dig! RUFF!" — BowWow (Link's Awakening DX)
- "'BRRING! BRRING! Yes, this is Ulrira. The Indigestible Flowers of Goponga Swamp... Those flowers are BowWow's favorite. Why don't you take him for a walk there? CLICK!'" — Grandpa Ulrira (Link's Awakening DX)
- "BOWWOW IS THE KEY
Although you must usually find a special key to gain admittance to a Level, this time BowWow is your key. He opens the Level by eating the flowers that block the entrance. Of course, the flowers grow back while you're inside, but BowWow waits at the entrance to gobble them up when you're ready to leave. Good doggie." (The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening Player's Guide (Nintendo of America Inc. & Tokuma Shoten Publishing Co., Ltd.), pg. 34)
- "Ahem! Really, I must insist that you not bring that awful beast in here! Leave that creature outside and then we can talk! Good Bye!" — Richard (Link's Awakening DX)
- "'BRRING! BRRING! Ulrira at your service! Oh? You should take BowWow home now, Madam MeowMeow would appreciate it! Bye! CLICK!'" — TBD (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Ho ho ho! I really appreciate what you did for my poor, precious BowWow! You are such a nice boy! How can I ever repay you? I know... SMOOOOOOOCH! You got a reward from Madam MeowMeow... ... ... L-l-lucky!" — Madam MeowMeow (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Hey, that looks great! I'll call it 'Link Plays With BowWow!' Now get closer to BowWow!" — Photographer (Link's Awakening DX)
- "DANGER! Keep out! (Except BowWow)" — TBD (Link's Awakening DX)
- "BOW WOW! BOW WOW!" — BowWow (Link's Awakening DX)