We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
The Bound Chest is an artifact which appears in The Minish Cap, and its origin lies long before the events of the game.
According to legend, when monsters overran the kingdom of Hyrule, the Minish granted the Picori Blade and Light Force to the Hero of Men, who used them to drive off the monsters. It is revealed within The Minish Cap that the hero actually sealed the evil monsters within the Bound Chest, locking it with the sword itself. A secret part of the legend, known only to the Royal Family, explained that the Light Force was sealed within the royal line of princesses.
In celebration of the victory, the kingdom held a yearly festival,  which included a sword-fighting tournament. The winner of the tournament is allowed to touch the blade, still resting inside the Bound Chest. As The Minish Cap begins, Vaati is declared the winner of the tournament, and is shown to the Bound Chest. However, because the commonly known legend did not specify where the Light Force was hidden, Vaati believed that the relic was in fact within the Bound Chest, and shattered the Picori Blade in order to open it. However, the Bound Chest only contained the once-sealed evil, which escaped to plague the world again.
- "Long, long ago, and then even longer before that... Evil creatures appeared in the world of humans. They were powerful, frightening beasts, and they created such trouble!" — Opening Cinematics (The Minish Cap)
- "The tiny Picori appeared from the sky, bringing the hero of men a sword and a golden light." — Elemental Sanctuary (The Minish Cap)
- "With wisdom and courage, the hero drove out the darkness." — Elemental Sanctuary (The Minish Cap)
- "Do you know about that sword, Link? It is called the Picori Blade, and it locks much evil away in that chest." — Minister Potho (The Minish Cap)
- "And the force of the golden light, embodied in Hyrule's princess, shone forth upon the lands." — Elemental Sanctuary (The Minish Cap)
- "And the world of humans once more knew peace, thanks to the Picori. So as not to forget our gratitude, we hold this festival each year." — Opening Cinematics (The Minish Cap)
- "Whoever wins the competition earns the honor of touching the sacred blade." — Minister Potho (The Minish Cap)
- "...?!? Empty? There was nothing in there but those monsters? What is the meaning of this? Well, I know the force I'm after is somewhere out there. I'm in no hurry. I can take my time searching for it. Heh heh heh..." — Vaati (The Minish Cap)