According to legend, when monsters overran the kingdom of Hyrule, the Minish granted the Picori Blade and Light Force to the Hero of Men, who used them to drive off the monsters. It is later revealed that the Hero actually sealed the evil monsters within the Bound Chest, locking it with the Sword itself. A secret part of the legend, known only to the Royal Family, explains that the Light Force was sealed within the royal line of princesses.
In celebration of the victory, the kingdom helds a yearly festival, which includes a Sword-fighting tournament. The winner of the tournament is allowed to touch the blade still resting inside the Bound Chest. Vaati is declared the winner of the tournament and is shown the Bound Chest. Because the legend did not specify where the Light Force was hidden, Vaati believes that the relic is found within the Bound Chest and shatters the Picori Blade in order to open it. However, the Bound Chest only contained the once-sealed evil, which escapes to plague the world again.
- The Bound Chest may be based upon Pandora's box, which was used at the beginning of humanity, in Greek mythology, to seal all the evils of the world until it was opened and they were released.
- "Using the sword, the Hero of Men sealed the evil beings away in the Bound Chest and brought peace to the world once again." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 78)
- "Long, long ago, and then even longer before that... Evil creatures appeared in the world of humans. They were powerful, frightening beasts, and they created such trouble!" — Prologue (The Minish Cap)
- "The tiny Picori appeared from the sky, bringing the hero of men a sword and a golden light." — Elemental Sanctuary (The Minish Cap)
- "With wisdom and courage, the hero drove out the darkness." — Elemental Sanctuary (The Minish Cap)
- "Do you know about that sword, Link? It is called the Picori Blade, and it locks much evil away in that chest." — Minister Potho (The Minish Cap)
- "And the force of the golden light, embodied in Hyrule's princess, shone forth upon the lands." — Elemental Sanctuary (The Minish Cap)
- "And the world of humans once more knew peace, thanks to the Picori. So as not to forget our gratitude, we hold this festival each year." — Prologue (The Minish Cap)
- "Whoever wins the competition earns the honor of touching the sacred blade." — Minister Potho (The Minish Cap)
- "...?!? Empty? There was nothing in there but those monsters? What is the meaning of this? Well, I know the force I'm after is somewhere out there. I'm in no hurry. I can take my time searching for it. Heh heh heh..." — Vaati (The Minish Cap)