The Book of Mudora is an item in A Link to the Past.
Location and Uses
The Book of Mudora is a collection of ancient Hylian lore and stories, as well as a guide to translating the ancient Hylian Language that appears throughout the land of Hyrule. It is found in a library south of Kakariko Village. To obtain it, Link must bash the bookcase holding it with the Pegasus Boots. The Book of Mudora allows Link to read the text in front of the Master Sword's pedestal, to enter the Desert Palace, and to obtain the Ether and Bombos Medallions.
A Link to the Past (Ishinomori)
Link reading the Book of Mudora
In the A Link to the Past comic by Shotaro Ishinomori, Link finds the Book of Mudora after he saves the Librarian from the burning House of Books. Once the fire ceases from the library, the librarian theorizes that Agahnim's soldiers might have been after the Book of Mudora, and explains that it is the key to the ancient Hylian language which mentions that the hero will stand in the desert holding the book. Link takes the Book of Mudora and mentions how Sahasrahla had told him the Pendant of Power was in desert ruins, leading the librarian to claim Link as the legendary Hero of Hyrule and calmly leaving the book in the hero's hands.
When Link reaches the Desert of Mystery, he uses the Book of Mudora to translate the runes written upon the ruins of the Desert Palace. Upon doing so, the ruins begin to sink to reveal a scorpion statue that has the Pendant of Power hanging on it.
| Names in Other Regions
||Livre de Mudora
||Same as English.
||Libro di Mudora
||Same as English.
The Book of Mudora as seen in the inventory
Guide artwork of the Book of Mudora
- ↑ Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 118 (ALttP)
- ↑ "But a verse from the Book Of Mudora (a collection of Hylian legends and lore) made the Triforce even more desirable" (A Link to the Past manual, pg. 4)
- ↑ "The monoliths left by the Hylian people are inscribed with ancient script. If you find an inscription that you cannot read, use this book and its meaning will become clear." (A Link to the Past manual, pg. 38)
- ↑ "Perhaps their target was the book of Mudora..." (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power) pg. 6)
- ↑ "We managed to save it from the flames... This book is the key to the ancient Hylian language. According to the legends, the hero will stand in the desert with this book..." (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power) pg. 7)
- ↑ "Let me see that! After Sahasrahla gave me the Pendant of Courage, he told me the Pendant of Power was in a desert ruin!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power) pg. 7)
- ↑ "Then you...you must be the legendary Hero of Hyrule! This is a very fortunate turn of events! I will leave the book in your capable hands." (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power) pg. 7)
- ↑ "Maybe I am the legendary hero after all! I suppose if I look it up in the book, the writing should make sense..." (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power) pg. 11)
- ↑ "Hanging on that strange statue! It's the pendant!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power) pg. 12)