- This article refers to the Bombchu item. For the enemy, see Real Bombchu.
Bombchu artwork from
Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
- 1 Location and Uses
- 2 Locations
- 3 Other Appearances
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Nomenclature
- 6 Gallery
- 7 See Also
- 8 References
Location and Uses
Bombchus are a type of mobile explosive that travel along the ground (and, if a certain kind, walls and ceilings) until they either self-destruct (indicated by red flashing) or touch an object or enemy. They can be used to deliver explosive power to areas that regular Bombs and other weapons cannot reach and to attack enemies or activate switches without Link needing to get too near.
In Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Bombchus travel in a straight line and can also crawl up walls and ceilings, a characteristic that can be utilized to maneuver around walls that would block other weapons. Bombchus in these games may also attempt to home in on enemies, and will swerve off their path when one is nearby.[verification needed] This is demonstrated in Ocarina of Time's Bombchu Bowling mini-game, where Cuccos and Blade Traps serve as obstacles. Unlike Bombs and most forms of ammunition, Bombchus are typically much more difficult to resupply, as they usually never appear from common locations such as broken Jars or enemies. Instead they are usually found in Treasure Chests or purchased within shops. Unlike regular Bombs, Bombchus do not require a Bomb Bag in most games, and can be obtained without one. Bombchus in most games also cannot have their maximum carrying capacity upgraded. Though useful, they are often not required to progress through the games.
In Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, Bombchus appear aesthetically similar to their counterparts in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but have a slightly different function. Instead of traveling in a straight line, the explosive will lock onto one target and follow that target until it impacts and explodes. If no enemy is present, the Bombchu will simply travel forward in a straight line.
In Phantom Hourglass, the usefulness of Bombchus are expanded and their functions differ compared to earlier games since Link must draw out a path for it to follow on the map. When used, the map goes to the bottom screen so that Link can draw the path he wants the Bombchu to take. They do not automatically travel in a straight line nor home in on enemies, and they travel at a noticeably slower space. They can be used to scout areas ahead of Link, or attack enemies around corners long before they notice Link's presence. They are also the only items which can go through small holes in walls. Link can move around at the same time as the Bombchu, which is required to solve certain puzzles. Bombchus in Phantom Hourglass are also the only kind that are given their own Bombchu Bag, as well as the first in which Link can increase his capacity of them. While they still appear often in shops, Bombchus can also be found throughout the Overworld much like other ammunition, such as inside Jars.
Ocarina of Time
Ocarina of Time Manual Comment
- There is a Bombchu Shop open at night in the Back Alley of Castle Town, although their stock is limited, and each item can only be bought once before selling out.
- The Bombchu Bowling Alley will give out Bombchus as one of the random prizes Link wins if he wins the mini-game.
- After finding 40 Gold Skulltula Tokens, Link can receive some Bombchus from the fourth son at the House of Skulltula in Kakariko Village.
- Bombchu can be bought from the Carpet Merchant in the Haunted Wasteland. He sells packs of 10 Bombchus for 200 Rupees.
Link can hold up to 50 of them at a time.
In Majora's Mask, Bombchus may be purchased at the Bomb Shop in Clock Town, which sells a pack of 10 Bombchus for 40 Rupees. Link may carry only up to 40 of them at a time. Link can also find them in Treasure Chests in hidden caves around Termina, needing either a Bomb or the Blast Mask to open the entrance. These hidden caves are revealed with a green light when Link wears the Mask of Truth.
Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages, Bombchus may only be obtained in a Linked Game through the Subrosian Secret or the Troy Secret. Link can carry up to 99 Bombchus at once. Once obtained, Syrup will start selling packs of them at the price of 100 Rupees for 5 Bombchus.
Cadence of Hyrule
Bombchus appear are a type of mobile Bomb that move to the beat of the music. Once they are placed down by either Cadence, Link, Yves, or Zelda, they move in a straight line until they make contact with something or if no contact is made, explode after seven music beats.
- Real Bombchus are named after Bombchus.
The name Bombchu is a combination of Bomb and "chu," Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a mouse makes, referring to their mouse-like shape. The plural form of Bombchu can be either Bombchu or Bombchus.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Missile Teigneux||Mangy Missile|
|Korean||찍폭탄 (JJikpoktan)||Squeak Bomb|
|SpanishLA||Bombchu (OoT3D | MM3D | PH)|
- "A Bombchu is a type of mouse-shaped bomb that moves forward automatically." — Hyrule Warriors Direct, YouTube, published August 4, 2014.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 118 (OoT | MM | OoS | OoA | PH)
- "Pick up a Bombchu and set it at your feet. It will start running by itself. If it hits an object, or runs for a while without hitting anything, it will explode. Once it starts running, you have no control over it." (Ocarina of Time manual, pg. 23)
- "You got a Bombchu! You can carry up to 10 Bombchus in your bag! They will follow the path that you draw on your map!" — N/A (Phantom Hourglass)
- "To use a Bombchu, select the item and then draw its path on the map that appears on the bottom screen." (Phantom Hourglass Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 12)
- "Bombchus are also small enough to sneak through tiny openings you sometimes spot in walls." (Phantom Hourglass Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 12)
- "While the Bombchu is running, you can move Link again." (Phantom Hourglass Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 12)
- "This is a new type of bomb! It's available only in limited quantities, and when I'm sold out, that's it!" — Bombchu Shop Owner (Ocarina of Time)
- "I am selling stuff, strange and rare, from all over the world to everybody. Today's special is... A dangerous, running object! Terrifying! I won't tell you what it is until I see the money.... How about 200 Rupees?" — Carpet Merchant (Ocarina of Time)
- Hyrule Warriors Reactions from SDCC
- "Bombchu -- Assign it to
It moves in a straight line and explodes after seven beats or if it makes contact with something." — Inventory (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "You got 10 Bombchu!
Set them to (<), (>) or (v) on the
Select Item Screen." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "I can't sell you Bombchus if you don't have a Bombchu bag." — Shopkeeper (Phantom Hourglass)