Bomb Arrow from Breath of the Wild
|Use(s)||Hitting far-away targets with an exploding Arrow|
Bomb Arrows are a recurring item in The Legend of Zelda series. It is essentially an exploding Arrow that results from combining Bombs with Arrows. They are shot like normal Arrows, but when the Arrow reaches its target, the Bomb explodes.
Location and Uses
In Twilight Princess, to use a Bomb Arrow, the Bow must first be equipped, then the R Button (GameCube version), Z Button (Wii version), or ZR Button (HD version) must be pressed when any kind of Bomb is selected in the inventory screen. Bomb Arrows consume both a single Bomb and a single Arrow per shot. They can be fired to create distant blasts in high and low places. They can be used to blow up distant Rocks, which becomes necessary when Link ventures to the Lakebed Temple. Should Link hold the Bomb Arrow to the Bow for too long, the Bomb will explode and he will take damage.
Breath of the Wild
Hyrule Compendium Entry
In Breath of the Wild, Bomb Arrows appear as a type of Arrow that can be equipped to the Bow; combining is no longer necessary, as they are already loaded with an explosive at its tip. They can be found inside Treasure Chests. They are ineffective in the rain, as it causes them to fizzle out. Bomb Arrows cannot be used in areas where the air is burning, such as Death Mountain, as the Arrow will explode immediately after being drawn.
- During development of A Link to the Past, Bomb Arrows were planned to appear. They were set to be shot by pressing the A and B Buttons simultaneously when the Bow and Bombs were equipped at the same time. The idea was scrapped after Shigeru Miyamoto requested that Link should always have the Sword equipped. This idea was later implemented in Link's Awakening.
- In Spirit Tracks, Bomb Arrows are not an usable item. Instead, they are fired from Bulblins in the Overworld while riding the Spirit Train.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||バクダン矢 (Bakudan Ya) (BotW)||Bomb Arrow|
|FrenchEU|| Flèche explosive
| Explosive Arrow|
- "Oh...And you can combine bombs and arrows to make bomb arrows for when you need ranged explosives!" — Barnes (Twilight Princess)
- Nintendo Plays Zelda On Nintendo Switch With Tim - Kinda Funny Plays, YouTube (Video), published January 22, 2017, retrieved January 30, 2017.
- "We also thought about having these weapons combine, say for example, having the Bow & Arrows set to the A Button and a Bomb to B Button so that when you use them together (i.e. press both the buttons), Link would shoot an arrow with a bomb attached. In the end we didn’t use this in A Link To The Past, as Shigeru Miyamoto requested that Link always have the sword equipped. We were able to implement this system in the next title, Link’s Awakening, though." —Takashi Tezuka (Nintendo on Zelda: Link to the Past – scrapped idea, working with SNES, Master Sword importance, more)