Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Bolson is the president of Bolson Construction, a company that only hires people whose names end in "-son." If Link asks Bolson who he is, he will recite Bolson Construction's signature theme and dance, only to be disappointed by the realization that Link doesn't recognize it.
Bolson initially appears behind the vacant house in Hateno Village, where he is working with Hudson and Karson to demolish it. Should Link comment that the work sounds boring, Bolson realizes that someone Link's age would not understand. If Link offers to buy the house instead, Bolson will explain to him that the cost of the operation is 50000 Rupees, which Link would need to pay for in order to stop the demolition. Whether Link agrees to the price or not, Bolson will sympathize with him and decide to lower the price. He offers a revised deal to Link for the house in exchange for 3000 Rupees and 30 bundles of Wood. Afterwards, he orders his crew to cease demolition as they wait under a tree nearby for Link to pay for the house. This initiates the Side Quest "Hylian Homeowner", tasking Link with the responsibility of fulfilling his side of the bargain in exchange for the house.
If Link tells Bolson that he cannot afford the cost, Bolson will become angry and lecture to him about the hardships of life. However, if Link presents the 30 bundles of Wood to Bolson, he will accept the offer and conclude that Link is serious about the offer. If Link provides the 3000 Rupees, Bolson will call him "studly," and offer a Weapon Mount as a housewarming gift. Bolson then tells Link to speak to Hudson before he leaves to carry out a business expansion in Akkala.
After Hudson leaves to establish Tarrey Town, Bolson will offer to furnish Link's house for 100 Rupees per refurbishment. Link can request various additions to his house, such as Weapon Mounts, Bow Mounts and Shield Mounts, as well as a Bed, lighting and a front door. Link can also request that Bolson decorates the property surrounding his house, adding a Sign with Link's name, a flower bed and trees.
Once Link has fully decorated his property, Bolson will call him a "housing monster" and leave additional furniture inside Link's House before taking a break. If spoken to again, Bolson will declare the house to be perfect and bring Link's attention to Hudson once more, wondering how the Bolson Construction expansion is coming along.
Starting at 9:05 PM each night, Bolson and Karson will cross the bridge over Firly Pond and sleep inside one of the pre-constructed homes. There, he will recite Bolson Construction's theme in his sleep.
- Bolson's profession, demeanor and attire are an allusion to the Carpenters in the Japanese version of Ocarina of Time. In it, the Carpenters would aimlessly prance around Kakariko Village and notably employ characteristically feminine speech. Additionally, one of the Carpenters refers to Link as a cute boy. These are stereotypical traits of gay men in Japanese media that weren't properly adapted for the English versions. In the English versions of Breath of the Wild however, Bolson's stereotypical characteristics were retained. Bolson's tiger-striped collar, leg wrappings, and blue jacket are also likely a reference to the Master Craftsman from Ocarina of Time.
- If Link speaks to Bolson while not wearing any Armor that covers his torso, Bolson will become excited and call Link "perky."
|Names in Other Regions|
|ChineseSI||樱达 (Yīngdā)||Cherry blossom|
- "The boss, Bolson, has a strict hiring rule: need a name ending in "son." No exceptions. [That's too bad.] "Builds team unity," he says." — Hudson (Breath of the Wild)
- "♪ Hi! ♪ Need something from me? [Who are you?] Me? I'm the luminary, president, architect, and design lead of Bolson Construction ♪ My name is Bolson. ♪" — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "My trial period is done, and they finally hired me as an official member of the Bolson family! I'm so glad my name happens to end in "son," y'know? [...Son?] Yep, you heard me right! Apparently, your name has to end in "son" to work at Bolson Construction." — Karson (Breath of the Wild)
- "New construction, house reduction, wall destruction, remodel-uction... ♪ Aaaaaaanything a house could need! ♪ ♪ That name again is Bolson! Yeah, yeah! Buh-buh-buh-Bolson Construction. ♪ ♪ Bolson! Da-da-da-Bollllllson! ♪ ♪ Hoo-WAH hoo-WAH! ♪ ♪ SHA-DING! ♪" — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "♪ With love, courage, and hopeful hearts, we give every house a new staaart! ♪ ♪ That name again is Bolson! Yeah, yeah! Buh-buh-buh-Bolson Construction. ♪ ♪ Bolson! Da-da-da-Bollllllson! ♪ ♪ Hoo-WAH hoo-WAH! ♪ ♪ SHA-DING! ♪" — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "Huh? You don't know this dance? I thought it was all the rage with the kids these days. You must be out of the loop. Anyway, if you don't need anything urgent, wanna give me some space?" — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "[What're you doing?] In case it's not obvious, I'm demolishing a vacant house. Times are rough. Not a lot of buyers, y'know? So the villagers decided it was best to just tear it down." — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Sounds...dull.] Well... I guess a young buck like you wouldn't know anything about that." — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "[I can buy it!] Whoa, get a load of young moneybags... Just wants to "buy" it, huh? Okey-doo... Let me lay it out for you. See this house? Been vacant for years. So the villagers had a meeting, argued, voted, and decided to tear it down. The demolition costs, with associated fees, and other such details...come in at 50,000 rupees. So when you say you want to "buy" it, you're talking about 50,000 rupees... You got that much on you?" — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "[I'll pay!] Well! Who would have thought?! ...Little go-getter, aren't you? Heh. Reminds me of me back in the day." — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Impossible...] Heh... Figured. When I was your age, I had serious money problems, too, so I know how it feels all too well..." — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "... ...Alright. All right, look. Here's the deal! Just for you! I'll cut you a special price of 3,000 rupees. BUT IN RETURN! I'm going to need you to bring me 30 wood bundles. Building materials... You know how it is." — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "Anyway, you understand the terms? Then get to it. And show me what you're built out of. ...That's a construction joke. Hudson! Karson! Stop what you're doing!" — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "You ready to deliver 30 wood bundles? [I can't pay...] Don't be a spoiled brat! You're young! Life is full of hardship and toil! You gotta suffer for your rewards!" — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "♪ Okey-doo. ♪ I'll grab them from you. All I needed to see.. Good-faith wood. You're obviously serious about this, and now I know it. So, as promised, I'll sell you this old house for the low price of 3,000 rupees. Once you've got the money together, come grab me." — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "Did you get 3,000 rupees together? [I'm ready!] Seriously?! You're really gonna give me 3,000 rupees? Like, with three zeroes? You aren't just posturing? [I'll shell out!] ♪ No way! ♪ Talk about studly! ♪ I'll just take that off your hands. ♪ Thanks for the sweet investment. Spending so much money on ANYTHING at your age... It's just so...studly! There's a weapon mount in there that never sold... Consider it a housewarming gift. Hope you get some use out of it." — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "So...next-job time, baby! What'd I have lined up again? Oh, yeah, that's what's next. I was going to send Hudson up Akkala way to clear some land!" — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "I asked Hudson to clear some land in the Akkala region. [Clearing land?] Yup... Business expansion, y'know. I'll probably have him head out soon. If you want to say anything to Hudson, better catch him before he leaves." — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "So the both of us sort of hit a personal milestone, huh? Time to kick back an get LEISURELY, baby! ...Though you look a bit judgmental for such a fine moment. You're looking at me like we should both keep working at it. Heh! You don't even have to say it! "Oh, wah, I just bought a house and it's totally empty and depressing!" Oh, sure, that's you to a T. I see it in your eyes. Yup, I was just like you, about a lifetime ago. So tell you what, lemme help by taking care of furniture, or the exterior, or anything really, for 5,000 rupees. Actually, no, scratch that. For you? Let's start at 100 rupees. Just cruise on by whenever you have the spending cash and we'll talk." — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "Need something from me? [Build me something.] Watcha want?" — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Gear displays.] What kind of mount? [Weapon mount.] [Bow mount.] [Shield mount.] That'll be 100 rupees, OK? You can shell that out? [I'm ready to pay up!] ♪ Okey-doo, payment's due up front. ♪" — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Installations.] What were you thinking? [Bed.] [Lighting.] [Door.] That'll be 100 rupees, OK? You can shell that out? [I'm ready to pay up!] ♪ Okey-doo, payment's due up front. ♪" — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "[House exterior.] Which exterior feature? [A sign with my name!] [Plant some flowers!] [Plant trees!] That'll be 100 rupees, OK? You can shell that out? [I'm ready to pay up!] ♪ Okey-doo, payment's due up front. ♪" — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "AHH! YOU HOUSING MONSTER! You got EVERYTHING?! Ah, such is the way of youth... Driven! Even reckless, some might say. Well, since you bought everything, I threw in some free furniture! Yeah! Least I could do! Karson! Look lively!" — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "Well, I am TUCKERED. I couldn't swing a ball-peen hammer right now, let alone an axe... Break time, baby!" — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "House is absolutely perfect... Nothing else I can do to improve it. Come to think of it, we've had no word from Hudson, have we? Hard to believe someone could get lost on a simple trip to Lake Akkala..." — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "Snrrk... Hnnk... Hoo-wah.... Hoo-wah..." — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "Snrrk... Hnnk... Buh-buh-buh..." — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)
- "アタイ、大工のイチロー。 (Atai, Daiku no Ichirō.)" — Ichiro (Ocarina of Time)
- "あたしたち 一日中この村で 家 建ててんの。 (Atashitachi ichinichijū kono mura de ie tatete n no.)" — Carpenter (Ocarina of Time)
- "カワイイ ボーヤ！助けてくれて サンキュー！。 (Kawaii Bōya! Tasuketekurete Sankyū!)" — Jiro (Ocarina of Time)
- "Whoa my! ♪ Aren't you perky? ♪ Well then..." — Bolson (Breath of the Wild)