Battle Bats are enemies in Link's Awakening.[note 1] They are summoned by the Grim Creeper during his mini-boss battle to attack Link in swarms. They are also known as Keese in certain regions of Hyrule.
Battle Bats are summoned in flocks of six by the Grim Creeper during his mini-boss battle, which are then sent to attack Link by diving at him. Unlike ordinary Keese, which fly close to the ground, Battle Bats fly at a higher altitude and can only be attacked as they swoop down. If any of the Battle Bats pass by Link, the Grim Creeper will again summon another six. To emerge victorious, Link must defeat all six Bats at once as they fly down at him, otherwise the Grim Creeper will continuously summon more. The Bats can be dispelled by any weapon in Link's arsenal; the most effective being the Sword. After they are all defeated, the Grim Creeper swears he will have revenge over the deaths of his brothers before fleeing.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ピッコロ [の子分] (Pikkoro [no Kobun])||Piccolo Follower|
- Battle Bats were also referred to as Big Keeses in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America Inc.. However, as Encyclopedia takes precedence, this term is not considered Canon.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 165
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 100
- "The Grim Creeper controls a flock of evil Battle Bats, known as Keese in some regions of Hyrule. When you enter his domain, he sicks the ferocious flapping flock on you and watches from his high perch while playing his piccolo. You can change his tune by taking your fight to the Bats. Destroy all six and the Grim Creeper will give up." (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo of America) pg. 75)
- "You dirty rat! You k-k-k...beat my brothers! You'll pay!! I'll never forget you!" — Grim Creeper (Link's Awakening DX)