The types of Lures that can be legally used in Twilight Princess
|Use(s)||Attract variety of fish more easily|
Types of Lures
In Twilight Princess, the Swimmer Lure is the default fishing apparatus used. This Lure bobs up and down to attract all types of Fish. This Lure, however, cannot attract deep-water dwelling Fish, it seems to be modelled after a "Walking Lure".
In Twilight Princess, the Popper Lure is a step up from the Swimmer Lure, having the ability to attract mainly deep-water dwelling Fish by using a highly aggravating popping sound at the surface of the water in order to scare more sensitive Fish away.
Appearing only in Twilight Princess, the Spinner Lure is used to attract nervous fish by splashing the water making lots of noise. It looks like a minnow, but has propellers on its front and back. These propellers make enough noise on the surface of the water, making shy Fish come up and take a bite. This Lure is the best lure to use when trying to catch the Hylian Pike, despite it's name, it's modelled after a "Propeller Lure".
The Frog Lure is a secret fishing lure that can only be unlocked by beating eight rounds of the first level of the Rollgoal game in Twilight Princess. It can be seen hanging on the wall behind Hena in the fishing hut. It is in the shape of a frog which is good food for large fish. This is the only Lure that can catch the Hylian Loach legally, and it's also a good choice for catching the Hyrule Bass. However, this lure is hard to control, and excellent skill with the controls is needed to get it to function properly. Unlike other lures, once a fish goes for the Frog Lure, Link must let the Fish nibble on the Lure for a bit before trying to hook it; otherwise, the Fish will lose interest and escape.
The Sinking Lure is a fishing Lure found in Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Majora's Mask 3D. This Lure is illegal to use when fishing, so Link must be careful not to get caught. However, in Majora's Mask 3D, it is available for legitimate use and appears to be legal, as the Fishing Hole Men offer it as an option when Link fishes at either one of the Fishing Holes. The Sinking Lure is ideal for anyone who wants to quickly catch big Fish or catch the Hylian Loach. It goes straight down to the bottom of the water and is very shiny, which attracts all sorts of Fish.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Link can only use the regular lure to catch fish since Sinking Lures are strictly prohibited and will grant the Fishing Hole Man the right to deny the young hero a prize. Because of this, the Sinking Lure does not appear in the past until young Link has obtained the Piece of Heart, and it will not appear in the adult era until the Golden Scale is won. These prizes can be received by besting the current Fish record by at least four pounds: if the current record is 9 pounds as Adult Link, then at least a 13-pound Fish must be caught to obtain the Golden Scale as a reward and unlock the Sinking Lure as an adult.
Once Link obtains the prices, the Sinking Lure can be found in four different places around the Fishing Pond. Its location changes almost every time Link enters the Fishing Pond. To obtain the Lure, Link must walk up to these places while carrying the fishing rod:
- On the big underwater rock by the stream
- Hidden in an underwater rock by the three poles surfacing from the water on the east side of the pond
- On the arched log to the west of the pond
- In the grass on the northern wall of the pond
If, after collecting the lure, Link takes it to the owner and chooses 'Let's talk about something', the owner will allow Link to use the Lure for his honesty. Despite this, the owner will still deny Link a prize for any record-breaking Fish he catches with the Sinking Lure. Once the young hero exits the pond, he will have to search for the Sinking Lure again before he is able to use it.
In Twilight Princess, the lure is a bit harder to find and harder to get. First, Link must catch one of each type of fish in Hena's Fishing Hole while lure fishing to get the sinking lure to appear. That includes the Hyrule Bass, Hylian Pike, and Ordon Catfish. Moreover, the young hero must have obtained the Coral Earring. Once Link has caught all of these Fish and has the Coral Earring, he can obtain the Lure. The Lure is located either at the highest point of the east bank or westernmost part of the south bank of the fishing hole. The line must be cast until the line is taken like it would with any other Fish. The Sinking Lure will eventually get hooked and will be added to the young hero's arsenal of Lures.
Like the Frog Lure, Link must let the fish nibble on the Sinking Lure for a few seconds before trying to hook the fish, otherwise the fish will escape. Although using the Sinking Lure is prohibited within the pond, Hena cannot tell Link has been using it unless Link uses the lure while she is with him as a guide. Should Hena see the lure, she will immediately confiscate it; however, Link can obtain another Sinking Lure in either of the same locations as before, the sinking lure seems to be modelled after a "Spoon Lure".
Majora's Mask 3D
In Majora's Mask 3D, the Sinking Lure is available as an option along with the normal lure when fishing at either of the two Fishing Holes. It does not seem to be illegal.
Big Catch Lure
In Phantom Hourglass, the Big Catch Lure is a Lure that the Old Wayfarer can give to Link if he proves himself to be dedicated to fishing by showing him the Loovar. With this Lure, Link can catch larger Fish and even the legendary Neptoona.
- "The back-and-forth action attracts all types of fish." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "The call of this sound-making lure is great for big fish in deep waters." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "The call of this lure's propeller is a siren song to nervous fish." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "You can only use a frog lure if you beat the Rollgoal game I designed! And you have to beat EVERY level!" — Hena (Twilight Princess)
- "The must-have lure for bass." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "If you try to hook a fish too quickly with the frog lure, you might lose it... That's what makes it so hard. You might want to give it a little more time before you try to hook it." — Hena (Twilight Princess)
- "YAHOOOOOO! This is HUGE!! A new record!! This...this weighs as much as... "x" pounds!! Buuuuuuuut! That sinking lure is in violation of the rules! So, no prize for you. Wah ha ha ha ha ha!" — Fishing Hole Man (Ocarina of Time)
- "Sinking lures are NOT allowed! That's what we call CHEATING! Those things attract even the fish that aren't really hungry. Does that sound fun to you? No. Not only is it no fun, but it's bad for the ecosystem. It changes fish's feeding habits, and then NOBODY will be able to catch them. Sinking lures have been banned here for generations: that's why you can still catch fish here!" — Hena (Twilight Princess)
- "The rod with the sinking lure, then? Nice. Just the ticket fer catchin' fishies who hang out near the bottom of the water. Them bottom dwellers." — Fishing Hole Man (Majora's Mask 3D)
- "You caught a sinking lure! This prohibited item cannot be used in fish ponds. It shines and should be good for fishing." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "What? Do you want to fish with a different lure? ...Hey, what's that? What? You just picked it up? Usually, the rules says you can't use one of those. I mean, usually. But what the heck..." — Fishing Hole Man (Ocarina of Time)
- "You can't use sinking lures here! Yeah, THAT one! That's cheating! Where'd you get that thing? You can't use it! No way, nohow! Hand it over. NOW!" — Hena (Twilight Princess)