Beedle is a recurring character in The Legend of Zelda series. He is a small-time businessman, seen working operating his various Shops. Like other Shops and Business Scrubs, Beedle sells, and sometimes even buys back, quest-specific items, such as All-Purpose Bait and Picolyte, both of which are not plot-required, but add extra interest to the games. Unlike the other entrepreneurial businesses in The Legend of Zelda series, Beedle incorporates memberships into his line of work, rewarding Link with increased price discounts if he becomes a frequent, repeat customer.
The Wind Waker
In The Wind Waker, Beedle is a local sea merchant who travels the Great Sea in search of profit. Although his sales pitch is unmatched, he unfortunately never seems to get any luck. His dangerous travels accommodate the perceptibility of his business, so there is certainly some point in Link's quest that he will come across this merchant. He sells a wide range of products, from Arrows and Bombs to Bait for Fish and Hyoi Pears. As Link progresses and acquires different Items, Beedle will provide him with the necessary ammunition to replenish that certain Item. His products are of important significance, such as the Bait Bag, which can purchased at the very beginning, and allows Link to collect various types of Bait. His appearance and attitude may shock some, but he is a generous person who will give his customers affordable prices compared to other shops. Beedle often sends Link things through the mail system used throughout the Great Sea, including his very own Beedle's Chart to help Link locate Beedle.
Beedle dreams of opening a chain of trading posts where people can buy, sell, or trade anything. He currently owns and operates many Shop Ships across the Great Sea, and he will gladly buy anything Link happens to have in his Spoils Bag. He entices his customers with Silver and Gold Memberships in order to guarantee that they stay regular patrons. One of the rewards for these memberships is the Complimentary ID. When used, Beedle merely compliments Link, although most of his other rewards are useful. Beedle's favorite things are bugs, especially beetles.
At the Rock Spire Shop Ship, Beedle assumes an alternate identity as his own assistant manager. When Link first visits the shop, Beedle's Assistant asserts that they've never met before. He refuses to buy Spoils and denies being Beedle, despite the fact that he appears on Beedle's Chart. Beedle's Assistant sells rarer, more expensive items: an Empty Bottles, a Piece of Heart, and a Treasure Chart leading to another Piece of Heart.
|Beedle (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
Favorite Thing: Bugs (especially beetles)
A businessman by nature, Beedle's sales pitch is unmatched. He hopes to open a chain of trading posts where people can buy, sell, or trade anything.
The Minish Cap
|Beedle (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
|Though he is an adult, he is very good|
at finding Picolyte made by the Minish.
And he is very, VERY convincing about
their healthful properties.
Beedle appears in The Minish Cap after Link has cleared the dust off a stall in Hyrule Town with the Gust Jar and obtained the Fire Element from the Cave of Flames. The townsfolk seem to expect him. He sells all kinds of Picolyte, and his available selection will expand as Link brings different substances to the Minish in the barrel house found in Minish Village to help cultivate the Pico Blooms there.
In Phantom Hourglass, Beedle operates Beedle's Shop Ship as in The Wind Waker, except that he has only one ship that appears in random locations in the World of the Ocean King. From 10am to noon on weekends and 10pm to midnight on weekdays (according to the Nintendo DS clock), the Masked Ship appears instead, manned by his alter ego Beedle's Assistant. Beedle sells a Bomb Bag and a Wisdom Gem. Beedle's Assistant sells a Piece of Heart and a Courage Gem. Both sell Potions, Ship Parts, and Treasure. Their ships are unaffected by cyclones.
The concept of memberships was expanded to include two more levels of membership and member discounts. A Silver Membership gives a ten percent discount on all items, a Gold Membership gives a twenty percent discount, Platinum Membership gives thirty percent and the VIP Membership forty percent. Discounts or points do not apply to the Masked Beedle's items.
In Spirit Tracks, Beedle runs Beedle's Air Shop. Link can see his balloon flying around the Overworld prior to actually being able to enter it. At a certain point, Link receives a Letter stating that his Shop just opened. Link can get Beedle's attention from then on by blowing the Spirit Train's Whistle when he is nearby. He will land by, allowing Link to stop by it like any other Station. Beedle offers Link Membership Cards, allowing Link to save up a point for every ten Rupees spent. Link can earn rewards after passing certain point milestones. Saving up 500 points rewards Link with the Heart Container sitting at the back of the Shop.
Beedle appears again in Skyward Sword, this time selling wares in a flying house, Beedle's Airshop. He operates this ship by pedaling a bicycle which powers an electric generator that drives some gears. He sells Medals, additional Wallets, and his most valuable item, a Piece of Heart. Asking Beedle about his Piece of Heart before buying it will yield the response that he does not actually know what it is, and picked it up from somewhere nearby and decided to sell it. Should Link look at something of Beedle's and attempt to leave without purchasing anything, Beedle will rant at Link about how much effort he needs to exert to hold Link's weight and decides to punish him by activating a trap door under his feet.
During the night, Beedle and his ship retire to an island in the sky called Beedle's Island. Falling asleep in his ship will allow Link to visit the shopkeeper on his island during the night, and if the young hero falls asleep in his ship during the night will return him to Skyloft. While resting on his island, Beedle will sit and talk with Link whilst admiring the Horned Colossus Beetle caged in his lap. Here, his diction makes a dramatic change with an above average vocabulary and without the joyful yells he is known for. Link can ask about his altered demeanor, but Beedle does not appear to notice any difference, and will dismiss the question as unimportant.
After Strich settles in the Bug Rock, Beedle will inform Link that his Horned Colossus Beetle has gone missing and asks the young hero to help him look for his prized possession. If Link flies to Bug Rock, he will find out that Strich has discovered a Horned Colossus Beetle. Upon learning that the Bug belongs to Beedle, he states that he will only let Link have the legendary bug after he plays Bug Heaven, which requires the young hero to catch 10 Bugs in under 3 minutes. If Link succeeds, he will obtain the rare beetle from Strich, and can return the Horned Colossus Beetle to Beedle to receive 5 Gratitude Crystals. As an additional reward, the shopkeeper allows the hero to buy any item from his Airshop at half price.
Breath of the Wild
In Breath of the Wild, Beedle can be found walking around Hyrule, mostly close to Stables. He travels Hyrule on foot instead of by boat or airship like in previous titles. His backpack is shaped like a Beetle, which customers can remember him by. Beedle stocks items such as Arrows and Materials, claiming to carry many "special Bugs." He also offers to buy things from Link, offering a high price for Gemstones.
Wares and Pricing
|A common arrow. Its shaft was carved from the wood of a sturdy tree.||6 Rupees|
|A bundle of five common arrows.
The shafts of these arrows were carved from the wood of a sturdy tree.
|A very energetic cricket.
Cook it with monster parts to create a stamina-recovery elixir.
|An energetic frog that can be found hopping around near water. Cook it with monster parts to draw out its speed-boost effect.||10 Rupees|
|This inflatable Octorok organ has a lot of lift, so attach it to items you want to see float. Hold it in your hands, and then place it on an object to attach it.||20 Rupees|
- Along with Link and Navi, Beedle is one of the few characters that utilized a basic level of voice acting in main series games before the release of Breath of the Wild.
- In the United Kingdom and Ireland instruction booklet for Phantom Hourglass, Beedle is mistakenly called Terry, his name in most of the game's localizations.
Beedle's name may come from his love of beetles, demonstrated both in The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword. Supporting this, in Breath of the Wild, he has a beetle-shaped backpack.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||テリー (Terī) (ST | BotW | CoH)|
|ChineseSI||特里 (Tèlǐ) (CoH)|
|ChineseTR||特里 (Tèlǐ) (CoH)|
|FrenchCA||Beedle (BotW | CoH)|
|FrenchEU||Terry (SS | CoH)|
|German||Terri (SS | CoH)|
|Korean||테리 (Teli) (CoH)|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
Beedle's image on the Sliding Puzzle from The Wind Waker
- "This is Beedle, a traveling shopkeeper and proprietor of an airborne item shop that is propelled by his own physical exertion. He works hard during the daytime, so he is very serious about his nighttime rest. He is known to have an attachment to a certain insect." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 259,(TWW) 271,(TMC) 283 (PH) & 295 (SS)
- "OHHHHH! A customer! Welcome to Beedle's Shop Ship! I deal in pretty much anything and everything!" — Beedle (The Wind Waker)
- "Do you have anything you don't need? If you do, show it to me! I'll pay top Rupees for your junk!!!" — Beedle (The Wind Waker)
- "I'm going to make a Member's Card just for you! When you buy lots of things and build up your points, something good will happen to you! Something very good, indeed! My shop is kind to its customers. No other shop will do this sort of thing for you, I'll have you know." — Beedle (The Wind Waker)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker — Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Prima Games) pg. 22
- "Beedle, Birthplace: Unknown, Favorite Thing: Bugs (especially beetles), A businessman by nature, Beedle's sales pitch is unmatched. He hopes to open a chain of trading posts where people can buy, sell, or trade anything." — N/A (The Wind Waker)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker — Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Prima Games) pg. 22
- (Prima Games) pg. 160
- "We're having an extra-special sale on this choice item for a limited time only! You'll know where to find us by checking the enclosed Beedle Shop Ship Chart! Visit a Beedle Shop Ship near you today! (Offer not available in all regions.)" — Beedle (The Wind Waker)
- "You want to use your Complimentary ID? ... OK! Here it goes... You are soooooooooooooooooo GREAT! ... Absolutely fantastic! ... Incredible! And there you go! Isn't it nice to be complimented once in a while? It is, isn't it?" — Beedle (The Wind Waker)
- " I'm sorry to disturb you with this
unsolicited letter. If the following does
not interest you, please throw the letter
away without a second thought.
BUT THIS IS YOUR BIG CHANCE!!!
Do you have need of an empty bottle,
a Piece of Heart, or a Treasure Chart?
We have them at special bargain prices.
BUT WE HAVE ONLY ONE OF EACH!
If you're interested, go to the Shop Ship
near Rock Spire Island. First come,
first serve! I can't wait to serve you!
To those who took the time to read this
letter...please accept my humble thanks.
Asst. Manager, Rock Spire Shop Ship" — Letter (The Wind Waker)
- "Oh! A fine welcome to you, young person that I've never seen before!" — Beedle's Assistant (The Wind Waker)
- "What's that? Why would I know what that is? I'm not Beedle! Or whatever his name is! Don't show me that!" — Beedle's Assistant (The Wind Waker)
- "This stall is such a mess! Does that mean Beedle's not going to show up?" — Hylian (The Minish Cap)
- "Tch! This stall is such a mess! Maybe that's why Beedle's not here selling his Picolyte." — Hylian (The Minish Cap)
- "I sell all kinds of Picolyte! I just put it in your bottle, and good stuff happens when you drink it!" — Beedle (The Minish Cap)
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass — Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 106
- "You're now an official Silver Member! Silver Members get 10% off all merchandise AND a wonderful prize! You should receive your prize in the mail within a week, so please be patient! Next, shoot for the elite Gold Membership!" — Beedle (Phantom Hourglass)
- "You're now an official Gold Member! Gold Members get 20% off all merchandise AND an incredible prize! You should receive your prize in the mail within a week, so please be patient! Next, shoot for the rare Platinum Membership!" — Beedle (Phantom Hourglass)
- "OHHHH! My valued VIP customer! Thank you for maxing out your points! I normally pad my prices... but for you, dear VIP, I will resist the urge!" — Beedle (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Greetings! There's a new shop in town--Beedle's Air Shop! We're having a bomb-bag blowout, so keep your eyes peeled for our hot-air balloon! Whenever you see me, drive up close and blow your train whistle. Hope to see you soon!" — Beedle (Spirit Tracks)
- "Earn a point for every 10 Rupees you spend. Get a Silver Card for 200 points, a Gold Card for 500 points, and a Platinum Card for 1,000 points." — Beedle (Spirit Tracks)
- "I pedal this bike to generate enough electricity to keep this place in the air! Plus, all this pedaling has got me in fantastic shape! Yep, I'd say my lifestyle is pretty ecofriendly! But, uh...with you on board, there's plenty of extra weight, so I have to pedal as hard as I can..." — Beedle (Skyward Sword)
- "Oh! You have great taste in things... Isn't it shiny? I found it someplace nearby. To be honest, I have no idea what it's for, but I'll sell it to you for just 1,600 Rupees!" — Beedle (Skyward Sword)
- "Do you know how heavy you are?! I have to pedal extra hard with you up here! Then you have the gall to leave without buying anything? Off with you!" — Beedle (Skyward Sword)
- "This is my humble home, of sorts. When night draws her tenebrous curtain across the sky, I come here. A bit lacking in creature comforts, to be sure, but I can relax in peace. You're aware that Loftwings don't fly at night, I'm sure...so I suppose I shall have to take you back to town with me on the morrow, hmm? When you wish to go back to Skyloft, just chase your dreams on the bed once more and on the morrow you shall be there." — Beedle (Skyward Sword)
- "This, my dear bug, is a very rare insect called a Horned Colossus Beetle. He is my most precious possession. I could gaze at him all night..." — Beedle (Skyward Sword)
- "Hmmm? The mellifluous timbre of my voice sounds different to you? ...Perhaps a touch, I suppose... But pray, what does it matter, hmm?" — Beedle (Skyward Sword)
- "Ah, I don't suppose you'd be willing to go look for my precious Horned Colossus Beetle? I'd be grateful if you did!" — Beedle (Skyward Sword)
- "Well... Let's just say I managed to land a legendary Horned Colossus Beetle. It's pretty much a miracle that I found it! I can't stop laughing or smiling. I'm so happy, my face hurts!" — Strich (Skyward Sword)
- "What?! You're saying this is Beedle's pet bug?! The same Beedle who flies around in that shack selling his junk?" — Strich (Skyward Sword)
- "...I suppose it would be kind of mean to keep someone's favorite pet bug. But at the same time, I don't feel so bad that I'm just going to give it right back... How about this? If you can pull off a time in my game that makes even me admit you are a master bug catcher, I'll give this little guy back. So, what's it going to be? Are you up for the challenge?" — Strich (Skyward Sword)
- "Well then, go get 10 insects of my choosing! I'll be timing you. You've got to get 10 insects within three minutes. If you somehow do it, I'll give the Horned Colossus Beetle back." — Strich (Skyward Sword)
- "OK, you're done! Heh heh heh... Who would have thought it would be so easy for you to break the record time! OK, OK... As I promised, here's the Horned Colossus Beetle. I have to admit, you're a pretty tough competitor. I guess I won't be able to bug you anymore. Heh heh heh... Make sure to tell Beedle that, bug lover to bug lover, I feel sort of bad for causing him so much stress." — Strich (Skyward Sword)
- "You found him! My dear bug, I thank you from the bottom of my heart! Next time you enter my shop, I demand you take any one of my items for half off the listed price! It's just my way of saying thank you!" — Beedle (Skyward Sword)
- "Despite these dangerous times, you'll find me traveling all over Hyrule to fulfill your shopping needs." — Beedle (Breath of the Wild)
- "Hey! I don't believe I've made your acquaintance! The name's Beedle, but you can call me— Actually, let's just stick with Beedle. But even if you forget my face, you can remember me by my beetle-shaped backpack!" — Beedle (Breath of the Wild)
- "I stock many special bugs and must-have items for travelers, and I always charge a fair price...or my name's not Beedle!" — Beedle (Breath of the Wild)
- "I also buy all sorts of things, if you're in need of rupees. Gemstones in particular fetch a high price! How can I help you today?" — Beedle (Breath of the Wild)
- "Oh my! Hello hello!" — Beedle (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
- "Thank you! You're my favorite!" — Beedle (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
- "I'm going to get new things! Hold on tight!" — Beedle (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
- "I used to be a traveling salesman, but there are so many monsters around now! It's not exactly the safest career choice." — Beedle (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "I heard there are diamonds coming from monsters all over Hyrule. If you bring enough by, you can buy some of my stuff!" — Beedle (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "Terry's Boat is a shop which travels on the ocean. Terry sells ship parts and even some rare items. If you want to shop there, draw up a sea route with the Terry's Boat icon as your destination." (Phantom Hourglass manual, pg. 27)
- Encyclopedia (TOKYOPOP) pg. 287 (ST)
- Hyrule Historia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 35 (SS)