Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
At one point, Kukiel, a young girl of Skyloft, befriends Batreaux and is invited to his house. However, Kukiel's mother, Wryna, believes she is missing or kidnapped, and asks Link to find her. After collecting clues concerning her whereabouts, Link manages to find Batreaux and Kukiel while they are playing a game of "scream-as-loud-as-you-can," and he nearly attacks Batreaux. Immediately Batreaux explains that he would never dream of harming the citizens of Skyloft, but in fact wants to befriend them. However, most citizens are frightened by his monstrous form, so he wishes to become Human. Kukiel seems to be the only citizen that is unaffected by Batreaux's menacing appearance, and in fact likes his "flappy bat wings", affectionately calling him "Uncle Bats".
Link can help him fulfill his wish by bringing him the Gratitude Crystals, which, according to monster legend, will turn him into a human. When he does, Batreaux will give Link various Items and Upgrades as a reward. Once he collects 80 Gratitude Crystals, he will become a Human and can be found in the Bazaar during the day and on the bridge during the night. Since his monster form radiated some sort of evil aura around the island, which caused monsters to invade the area at night and for Remlits to turn into vicious creatures, his transformation allows Skyloft to become a peaceful place once again.
|Number of Crystals||Reward|
|Piece of Heart|
|Gold Rupee x 2|
- Batreaux is similar to the Mad Batter of A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, as both are characters who take bat-like forms and provide Link with certain upgrades.
- Once Batreaux turns into a Human, all the enemies at night in Skyloft disappear, excluding Remlits which instead become non-aggressive.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Uncle Bats told me he wants to see all the grabitude crackles he can! But how's he going to do that?" — Kukiel (Skyward Sword)
- Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 32
- "Please, Link, won't you help me look for her? I've been looking everywhere, but I can't find her! I've asked everyone I could find for help, and a few people have said she's been spotted with some unknown person with a scary face. Someone else even said they thought they'd seen her carried off by a monster. A monster! She must have been kidnapped! She's so cute and friendly... Someone must have just walked off with her!" — Wryna (Skyward Sword)
- "Stop! Please! I beg of you... don't hurt me! Oh goodness, I know how bad this must look to you right now, but I assure you I mean no harm! We were just playing the scream-as-loud-as-you-can game!" — Batreaux (Skyward Sword)
- "Isn't that a fun game...? Oh, dear... Perhaps an explanation is in order! My name is Batreaux, and I am a monster who resides here in this humble dwelling below Skyloft. But please allow me to correct one popular misconception. While I'm certainly a monster, I wouldn't dream of terrorizing the people of this town! You see, this adorable little girl is the only one who didn't let loose a blood-curdling scream at the sight of me! Since she began to visit me here, I've felt positively jubilant! You see, my heart's only wish is to become friends with the lovely people of Skyloft. But as you can surely imagine, it has proven quite difficult to break the ice when they are struck with paralyzing fear at the mere sight of me!" — Batreaux (Skyward Sword)
- "I assure you, nothing would fill my heart with joy more than to be friends with the fine people of this town. But as soon as I try to approach any of them and extend my claw in friendship, they run and scream as though they've seen a walking nightmare!" — Batreaux (Skyward Sword)
- "Huh? Uncle Bats is a human now? ...Awww, that's too bad. I liked his flappy bat wings..." — Kukiel (Skyward Sword)
- "Oh, right... Silly me. I've gotten ahead of myself! You see, there is an old tale among my monstrous kin that goes as follows... It seems that when humans make other humans happy, the happy humans produce a substance known as a Gratitude Crystal. Gratitude Crystals are quite amazing! Just looking at them and knowing there was such gratitude in the world could turn me from a monster into a human!" — Batreaux (Skyward Sword)
- "You got one Gratitude Crystal! These form when a person is so completely overwhelmed with feelings of thankfulness that crystallized gratitude is created. Collect these and show them to Batreaux!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "There's no denying that when I was a demon, I must have radiated a fiendish power into my surroundings. Now that I'm human, it seems that most-unpleasant aura has completely faded from this place, like an odious aroma in the wind! And goodness me, I couldn't be more elated! Now everyone can finally live in peace, and it's all thanks to you." — Batreaux (Skyward Sword)