In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
Baron is a boss in Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland. He is found on Mount Desma. When Tingle meets him, he asks if he wants to challenge him. Several skeletons lay on the ground where Baron is found, which he explains are the remains of those who fought him before. Should Tingle accept Baron's challenge, he will drop from the ceiling and begin the battle.
After defeating Baron, Tingle will recover the Demon's Mask - a mask that resembles Baron's face. Whichever Drifter Bodyguard is present will ask to see the mask and relate the history of Baron before purchasing the mask to bury. However, the story that is related will change depending on the Bodyguard. These stories, therefore, may all be fictitious rumors or separate parts of Baron's story. There are several common threads between the stories, however, including the manufacture of the mask, a war, Baron's personal loss, his self-enforced exile and the resemblance of the mask to the god of war, named by Ronny as Bamo.
According to Teddy Todo, there was a master mask-maker whose creations were loved by children many years before. When war broke out, the artisan's son joined the army and never returned. Several months after his son's presumed death, the mask-maker carved a mask of the god of war, which he donned before joining the war himself. Although he never returned to his village, rumors spread of a masked warrior called Baron who cried as he slew his foes.
Yamori relates that Baron was himself a Drifter Bodyguard who was peerless in battle. After countless victories, the families of his victims united to hunt him down. Rather than fight them, Baron chose to disguise himself with a mask and live in isolation on the mountains.
A legend told by Ronny tells of two gods who were close brothers: Bamo, god of war, and Aron, god of love. When humans first appeared, problems soon arose. These humans wanted to steal the land of the gods and attacked when Bamo was abroad, killing Aron. Bamo took revenge wearing a devil's mask, killing many humans in combat. This failed to assuage his pain, and at last Bamo hid in a cave. Eventually the humans forgot their crime and began to search for Bamo, possibly explaining the skulls found upon the chamber's floor. Ronny tentatively concludes that Baron is Bamo, or possibly both gods in one form. This latter possibility may explain Baron's claim that he never wanted to hurt anyone, while the identification of Baron as a god explains his survival through centuries of hiding.
- One of the skulls on the floor is wider than the other human skulls and more closely resembles a Goron, although no Gorons are observed in Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland.
- Alternatively, this could be the skull of Teddy Todo's father. In the Japanese version of the game, Teddy Todo is reportedly the only Bodyguard capable of defeating Baron, having sworn to avenge the defeat of his father. This places a vastly different interpretation on the flower Teddy Todo leaves in the grotto - the only Bodyguard to make such a gesture.
- The description of the Demon's Mask, which may confer combative advantages upon its wearer, resembles the description of the Fierce Deity's Mask from Majora's Mask.
- The compulsory awarding of a mask resembling a defeated foe after a battle, along with the funerary treatment of the mask as the remains of Baron by the Drifter Bodyguards, is reminiscent of the remains obtained after defeating bosses in Majora's Mask.
Baron's name is likely a portmanteau of the two god brothers, Bamo and Aron. This may support Ronny's possible conclusion that Baron was Bamo and Aron united. Alternatively, Bamo may have adopted the name in memory of Aron - a possible reference to the Greek goddess Athena who attached the name of her childhood friend, Palas, to her own after killing him in a fight.
- "Want to take me on?" — Baron (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "Do you still want to take me on?" — Baron (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "Look around you. That is all that remains of those who took me on." — Baron (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "A long time ago I heard there lived a master craftsman who carved masks. Children loved the masks he made and he made a lot of money selling them." — Teddy Todo (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "But then a war started in that country. The craftsman's son joined the army and never returned." — Teddy Todo (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "After months of mourning the craftsman decided to make a mask of the god of war's face. He put it on and left to join the war..." — Teddy Todo (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "...and he never returned to his village again. I heard stories of a terrifying masked soldier who cried as he defeated his enemies. He was known as Baron and was feared by all." — Teddy Todo (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "I have heard there was once a Drifter Bodyguard by the name of Baron. He was a master warrior. There was no one who could match him." — Yamori (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "Baron defeated all he fought. No one who took him on lived to tell the tale." — Yamori (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "The number of his victims continued to grow and the victim's families came looking for him." — Yamori (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "Baron decided to hide his face behind a mask and went to live alone in the mountains." — Yamori (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "There were two gods that were brothers and who were the best of friends. The elder brother was Bamo, god of war. The younger brother was Aron, the god of love." — Ronny (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "Those greedy humans were determined to steal the land where the gods lived in peace and harmony. The cunning humans waited until Bamo left to travel to a distant land, then they raided the sacred land in their hundreds and killed Aron." — Ronny (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "When Bamo heard this he was livid with anger. He made a devils mask and decided to take revenge for his brother. He made war on the terrified humans who he came across." — Ronny (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "But his deep sadness never disappeared. He hid in a cave away from the sight of mankind..." — Ronny (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "...while humans forgot that they had ever done anything wrong and decided to hunt for Bamo." — Ronny (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "But surely that monster can't have been...Bamo?" — Ronny (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "Baron... I mean... Aron and Bamo..." — Ronny (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "I never wanted to hurt anyone..." — Baron (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- "My name is Baron. I have been here for hundreds of years." — Baron (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- Tingle's Freshly Picked, Rose-Colored Rupee Land: Algus's Happily Pressed, Smile-Typed FAQ/Walkthrough, wwwgamefaqs.com.