Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Features and Overview
Bannan Island is an Island found in the northwestern portion of the World of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass. It is here that Romanos' father, the Old Wayfarer, decided to begin his search for the mermaid after navigating the foggy passage north of Molida Island and living for months on the Isle of Gust.
Bannan Island is split into two main parts by a long cavern that runs the length of it. The left side of the Island is split into two smaller sections, connected by a bridge. A small island that can only be accessed with the Grappling Hook is located south of the lower section, and is home to a Treasure Chest containing a Power Gem. The cavern in the middle of the island contains a wall that can only be destroyed with Bombs, and Link therefore cannot access the right side of the Island until he obtains the Bomb Bag in the Temple of Wind. The right side of the Island is made up of one section. However, two smaller islands, that can only be accessed with the Grappling Hook can be found to the north. The island on the right is home to two Treasure Chests containing 100 Rupees and a Courage Gem. The island on the left is home to some stone tablets that inform Link of a Treasure Map buried between the two chests on the lower island.
The island's Dock is located in the very southwest corner of the island. From there, a path leads to the bridge that connects the two sections of the left side of the island. To the right of the bridge is the island's Mailbox, and further right of that is the entrance to the cave separating the two sides of the island. On the other side of the cave, on the right side of the island, is the Cannon Game Stand, run by Salvatore. Here, Link can play the Cannon Game for 20 Rupees. Link can win many prizes from this game, the most notable being a Bomb Bag upgrade.
In the north section of the island's left side is the Old Wayfarer's house. Here, Link can find the Old Wayfarer, who asks Link to tell him if he sees a mermaid. He also tells Link that the mermaid will not appear if there are any monsters in the area. After Link finds the mermaid, who turns out to be Joanne, a human in a mermaid costume, she will pay a visit to the Old Wayfarer's house. She stays there for the rest of the game in a pool which the Old Wayfarer had purchased in order to keep her. For uniting the two, Link receives a Fishing Rod from the Old Wayfarer. Link can then return to the Old Wayfarer's House and speak to him (or Joanne if Link has reached the final stage of the trading sequence, as the Old Wayfarer will be travelling the sea) to show him what fish he has caught. If Link shows him a Loovar, he will receive a Big Catch Lure, and if he shows him a Neptoona, he will receive a Heart Container. A Treasure Map can be found buried in front of the sign outside the Old Wayfarer's house, which Link is told about by a Gossip Stone on the Isle of Frost.
Later on in the game, Link must return to the Old Wayfarer's house for two reasons. Firstly, after receiving Jolene's Letter, he must return here to deliver it to Joanne, who will thank him and reward him with a Wisdom Gem. Secondly after completing the Trading Sequence, Link must return to the Old Wayfarer's house in order to get his reward, which was left inside a large treasure chest. However, when Link attempts to dock at the island, he is attacked by a Giant Eye Plant. After defeating it, Link is able to dock at the island and receive his reward; a Swordsman's Scroll which teaches the Great Spin Attack.
Breath of the Wild
Bannan Island is located in the Lanayru Wetlands.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ボヌン島 (Bonun Tō) (PH | BotW)||Bonun Island|
|SpanishLA||Isla Bannan (PH)||Same as English.|
- "Bannan Island... ～The Wayfaring Island～" — N/A (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Bannan Island" — Map (Breath of the Wild)
- "I made my way through the fog to the north sea, where I first spied the island! What a place, ravaged by winds! How could I name it anything but Isle of Gust..." — Wayfarer's Words (Phantom Hourglass)
- "After months upon this windy isle, I discovered smaller islands nearby. But my big discovery, the one that sets my heart aflutter: the mermaid! That is where my wayfaring destiny takes me next!" — Wayfarer's Journal (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Only those with the power to shatter rock will find the path to a new game." — N/A (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I buried a little something nice between the two treasure chests!" — N/A (Phantom Hourglass)
- "It's 20 Rupees a game. You wanna play or what?" — Salvatore (Phantom Hourglass)
- "So, young man, if you see a mermaid, you'll tell me right away, won't you?" — Old Wayfarer (Phantom Hourglass)
- "The mermaid, she is a sly, elusive creature. She will not show herself if monsters lurk nearby." — Old Wayfarer (Phantom Hourglass)
- "What's your problem? So I like getting dressed up like a mythical creature! I'm a human being, treat me like one!" — Joanne (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I'm gonna go to that old man's hut and visit him!" — Joanne (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Take this pool, for example! That is where the majestic creature will lounge once I capture her!" — Old Wayfarer (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I had that fishing rod made so that I could hook the mythical mermaid, but... I obviously don't need it anymore...so you can have it!" — Old Wayfarer (Phantom Hourglass)
- "The Old Wayfarer has set sail in search of even more wayfaring in his life. I'll look at your fish for you, though." — Joanne (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Do you know the Old Wayfarer who lives on Bannan Island? He buried something nice in front of his hut!" — Gossip Stone (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I should give you something to thank you for delivering this to me! Here you go!" — Joanne (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I left it at home... It is in a large treasure chest, however... You really can't miss it! You may have it as a gift for the wood heart." — Old Wayfarer (Phantom Hourglass)
- "You got the Swordsman's Scroll! Memories of veteran swordsmen flow through it. You can now perform the great spin attack, Link!" — N/A (Phantom Hourglass)