Aryll is Link's younger sister who lives with him and their Grandma on Outset Island. Aryll is a very kind, mature and thoughtful person who is eager to help others, especially her Grandma. One of her favorite hobbies is to hang out at Outset Island's lookout and play with the Seagulls. Her Telescope is her most cherished possession, but she lends it to Link as a special gift for his birthday. Soon after, she and Link notice a giant bird soaring in the skies while carrying Tetra in its talons. Tetra's Pirate Crew successfully hit the Helmaroc King with a cannon ball, causing Tetra to fall into the nearby Fairy Woods. Aryll urges her brother to go and rescue the pirate girl. After Link does so, the giant bird mistakes Aryll for Tetra, taking her away to the Forsaken Fortress. It then becomes Link's sworn priority to save her.
After some persuasion, Tetra allows Link to come with her on her ship and travel to the Forsaken Fortress in an attempt to rescue his sister. However, Link is captured by the Helmaroc King before he can get to Aryll, and the bird launches him off into the Great Sea.
Later, Link returns to the Forsaken Fortress and is finally able to rescue Aryll. Tetra and her crew of pirates take her away and promise to return her safely to Outset Island. As such, Aryll spends the rest of the game traveling with the band of pirates, sending her older brother letters from time to time. Aryll also has a change of wardrobe during her stay with the pirates: instead of her usual light blue dress, she changes to a dark purple dress with a skull near the bottom. She also wears this dress during the Second Quest.
Aryll is seen again at the end of the game aboard the pirates' ship after Link and Tetra surface from the now-flooded Hyrule. She appears one last time waving goodbye to her brother before Link and Tetra leave in search of new lands.
|Aryll (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|Birthplace: Outset Island|
Personality: Kind and true to her family
Link's energetic younger sister is adored by all who meet her. Her current goal is to learn how to fetch water so she can help out her grandmother.
Her most treasured belonging is a telescope bearing a drawing of a seagull.
- In Phantom Hourglass, Aryll is referenced by Nyeve when Link trades the Hero's New Clothes for the Telescope. He jokes that it was originally a gift that he had borrowed from his younger sister.
- Her Trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl erroneously claims her Telescope is marked with turtles instead of Seagulls.
Aryll's name may come from the word Amaryllis, which is a red flower, referencing the pattern on Aryll's dress. In the character design notes for Aryll inside the Zelda Box's book, Eiji Aonuma says that Aryll (アリル, Ariru) was originally going to be named Mariru (マリル) to be similar to Marin (マリン) from Link's Awakening and Malon (マロン, Maron) from Ocarina of Time. As such, certain similarities between Aryll and Marin can be noted, such as their affinity for Seagulls, and the red hibiscus in Marin's hair that appears on a pattern on Aryll's dress.
|Names in Other Regions|
Toon Link and Aryll portrait from Hyrule Warriors
- "Speaking of your sister, she saw me at work the other day, and she said she wanted to learn to carry jars on her head like me so she could help your grandma with chores." — Sue-Belle (The Wind Waker)
- "Link's energetic younger sister is adored by all who meet her." — Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 258 (TWW)
- "Her current goal is to learn how to fetch water so she can help out her grandmother." — Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- "Hee hee hee! This is my FAVORITE spot to gaze out at the sea. When I play with the gulls, I call it "Aryll's Lookout."" — Aryll (The Wind Waker)
- "I'm going to give you my most treasured belonging...but just for one day!" — Aryll (The Wind Waker)
- "Link, this is so terrible! That girl fell into the forest! You have to go help her!" — Aryll (The Wind Waker)
- "And unless my eyes fail me, the young girl who was just kidnapped from this island also has long ears, does she not? Much like YOU do, Miss Fearsome Pirate. My point is that the bird mistook that poor girl for you, and that's why it grabbed her!" — Quill (The Wind Waker)
- "I may as well tell you that the bird that kidnapped both you and Link's sister has made its foul nest to the north, on the heights of the Forsaken Fortress." — Quill (The Wind Waker)
- "If you're worried about your sister...don't be. I promise I'll deliver her safely back to your little island. Normally, I'd expect a huge reward for something like this...but this time, it's my treat!" — Tetra (The Wind Waker)
- "How have you been, Big Brother? I'm here on the pirate ship writing you this letter. Isn't that neat?" — Aryll (The Wind Waker)
- Koei Tecmo, ~やりこみ要素紹介編~『ゼルダ無双 ハイラルオールスターズ』妖精プロクシィと一緒にゲームプレイ！, YouTube, published January 15, 2016, retrieved January 18, 2016.
- "This is something valuable that I borrowed from my little sister...Ahhh ha ha! Just kidding." — Nyeve (Phantom Hourglass)
- Aryll design notes