We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
Alfonzo (right) as seen in Spirit Tracks
|Other Media||Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS|
|Era||Era of Hyrule's Rebirth|
Alfonzo is a Royal Engineer in Spirit Tracks. In the past, Alfonzo was known as the greatest swordsman in all of Hyrule and used to serve the Hyrulean army, as did his ancestors; however, he left his position there for reasons unknown to become a train engineer instead. He lives in Aboda Village, where he acts as Link's mentor as he trains the young hero to become a successful train engineer.
Alfonzo first appears in the game after Niko tells the sleepy Link the story about the war between the Spirits of Good and the Demon King. He scolds Link for still being in the village and reminds him about his important day: the day he becomes an official train engineer. Alfonzo then promptly leaves to the station to wait for the young hero so the two of them can depart to Hyrule Castle, where the Engineer Graduation Ceremony will be held. Once the young hero goes to the station, Alfonzo pulls out his train from his house and mentions to Link that he will be the one to conduct the train to Hyrule Castle as his final exam. The exam consists of driving from Aboda Village to Hyrule Castle Town in less than 300 seconds without getting hit by other trains. As Link is driving to his destination, Alfonzo will explain the controls of the train, such as how to slow down, speed up, stop, and blow the whistle.
After Link and Alfonzo arrive to Castle Town, Alfonzo will stay behind as Link goes to his graduation ceremony and obtain his Engineer Certificate to prove his status as an engineer. The young hero comes back after a while with Princess Zelda at his side. Surprised, Alfonzo asks the princess what she is doing out in the open without a proper escort, and asks Link if he is responsible for this. Princess Zelda explains to Alfonzo that she asked for Link's assistance so that she could get to the Tower of Spirits and find the reason as to why the Spirit Tracks have begun to disappear. Furthermore, Zelda asks for Alfonzo to join them as well since she would feel safer at his side due to his experience in swordsmanship, for if something were to happen, his skills would be of much aid. Although Alfonzo hesitates at first since he is no longer a swordsman, he agrees to accompany the pair; however, as they are making their way to the Tower of Spirits, the Spirit Tracks they are riding on begin to vanish, forcing Link to use the emergency break. The group then witnesses the Tower of Spirits breaking apart as well as the escape of the Demon King from his prison.
Shortly after, Chancellor Cole and Byrne appear, where Cole reveals his true form as a demon and mentions that the only thing he needs to complete the true resurrection of the Demon King is "a little help" from Princess Zelda. Alfonzo quickly steps in the way in an attempt to protect the princess with his sword in hand. However, Alfonzo is soon confronted and greatly over powered by Byrne when the two engage in battle, as he is tossed away and lands in front of the train, unconscious. Although Link tries to protect the princess, he too is easily defeated, allowing Cole and Byrne to kill Princess Zelda and take her body away.
Alfonzo and Link are taken to Hyrule Castle to recover but Alfonzo, unlike the young hero, is gravely injured and cannot move; as such, he tells Link that until he can get up, he will be responsible for the princess's safety.
When Princess Zelda and Link retrieve the Snow Rail Map and start to head out to the Snow Realm, a pair of Bullbos begin to attack their train, and Zelda suggests that they go back to Castle Town and see if Alfonzo can help them. Link goes to see Alfonzo, who is now feeling better but feels bad that he was not able to protect the princess. After Link explains the situation to his mentor, Alfonzo mentions to Link that his train is not strong enough to stand up to the enemies that have begun to roam the realms. As such, he offers to help Link by installing a Cannon on his train, but to do so, they must first travel back to Aboda Village. Once Alfonzo finishes installing the cannon, he will tell Link to head to the Snow Realm so that he can help the princess recover her body.
Later on in the game, Link can bring Ferrus, a train enthusiast who is Alfonzo's number one fan, to Aboda Village so that he can meet his idol. Ferrus speaks to the humble train engineer thinking that Alfonzo is known as a "legendary engineer" and even asks for his autograph. However, Alfonzo negates such claims, saying that he was known as a legendary swordsman for having broken a record in sword training, which greatly disappoints Ferrus.
Alfonzo is last seen during the ending credits, where he is seemingly doing maintenance work on the Spirit Train.
- Some time throughout the game, it is mentioned that Alfonzo's highest score for the Sword Training game in Hyrule Castle was 900 hits.
The name Alfonzo is a variation of Alfonso, a Spanish and Italian name, which means "noble and ready" and "ready for a fight", fitting his family's fealty to the kingdom. 
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||シロクニ (Shi Roku Ni)|| From C62, a type of steam locomotive|
Could also be read as "Shiro Kuni", meaning either "Castle of the Nation" or "White Country"
|SpanishEU||Bigboy||From Big Boy, a type of steam locomotive.|
- "An engineer from Aboda Village. He is descended from Gonzo, one of Tetra's pirates." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 133)
- "Enough out of you! My family has served the royal house for generations!" — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "Hello, Alfonzo! Have you been well? I'm so sorry we haven't spoken since you left the castle guard. I must admit, I miss hearing you bellowing orders in the courtyard." — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- ""If something happens" is exactly why I need you! You were once the greatest swordsman in the whole kingdom." — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "Yes, but that was a long time ago. Now I'm just a simple train engineer, living in the countryside. I can't be more than that, but I'll come along with you if you wish." — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "Look, here comes your mentor. Hello there, Alfonzo!" — Niko (Spirit Tracks)
- "Why are you still here, Link? Come on now--wipe the sleep out of your eyes! Wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up! Today is a very important day, you know! It's your audience with the princess! Don't tell me you forgot!" — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "I'm heading to the station now, so meet me there. Remember, the station is up the road. Don't get lost! Got it? Good! Then get a move on!" — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "Good! Then let's get going. Oh, but one last thing. You're going to drive the train to get us there! Call it your final exam! Don't look so worried--it'll be a piece of cake." — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "You need to get us to the castle in 300 seconds. Right now, we're here in Aboda Village! And our destination, Hyrule Castle, is right here! There are other trains on the tracks, so be careful not to hit them." — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "You've probably got all this down, but humor me while I tell you again." — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "Now just head to the castle for your graduation ceremony. It's to the north. You can't miss it. Good luck now!" — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "But you shouldn't distract me with talk about the old days! I'll just come out and ask. What are you doing here without a proper escort? Are you responsible for this somehow, Link?" — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "I asked for his assistance. And I hope I can count on your help too, Alfonzo. I would feel much safer with you at my side. Please come with us to the Tower of Spirits!" — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "But now that those vile tracks are disappearing, the time is finally at hand! All we need now is... A little help--hee hee--from you, Your Highness!" — Chancellor Cole (Spirit Tracks)
- "I don't know who these two are, Your Highness. But with your permission... I'd be happy to teach them some manners." — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "Unngh... My head... Did they hurt you, Link? And what happened to the princess? Did she escape unharmed? As long as I'm laid up, you're responsible for her safety, Link!" — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "We just keep getting hit! If this keeps up, our train is going to explode! Maybe we should go back to Castle Town and see if Alfonzo can help us." — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "Ah, Link... So you got my letter, did you? I can finally get around on my own again, but what hurts most is my pride. How could I fail to defend the princess?" — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "Well, normally, I'd say you were crazy. But you seem pretty serious. The thing is, from here on out, there are going to be lots of monsters. And an ordinary train like yours isn't going to be able to stand up to them." — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "Oh, I have an idea! But we have to go back home to Aboda Village first. Use your new train to take me back there. I'll be waiting at the station." — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "It's a cannon for your train! With this baby, you can smash through boulders! You can even knock out any baddies that get in your way! Now that you've got this, you should head out to the Snow Realm. You've got to help out the princess. We're counting on you, Link!" — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "And is that where Alfonzo lives? THE Alfonzo?! Whoa whoa WHOA! I can't believe I'm this close to such a megacelebrity! Oh, man, I'm SOOOO excited to meet him! Well, here I go!" — Ferrus (Spirit Tracks)
- "Yes, YOU! The legendary engineer Alfonzo! And here you are, standing right in front of me! I'm so excited, I might pass out! Um, could I please have your autograph, sir?" — Ferrus (Spirit Tracks)
- "Well, I don't know if I'm a legendary engineer. But back when I was a knight, people used to call me a legendary swordsman. Especially after I did 900 reps in sword training!" — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- "But back when I was a knight, people used to call me a legendary swordsman. Especially after I did 900 reps in sword training!" — Alfonzo (Spirit Tracks)
- Given Name ALFONSO, behindthename.com.