Dark Wizard
|Weakness(es)||His own magic (reflected with the Master Sword or the Bug Catching Net)|
Agahnim (pronounced /ˈɑː.ɡəˌniːm/, AH-gə-neem) is the dark wizard who serves as the secondary antagonist of A Link to the Past. He kidnaps the Seven Maidens to break the seal to the corrupted Sacred Realm and achieve his goal. While many believe him to be a pawn of Ganon, he is revealed to be the demon's alter-ego.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Other Appearances
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Nomenclature
- 5 Gallery
- 6 References
A Link to the Past
When Hyrule became besieged by an onslaught of terrible misfortunes, the King of Hyrule offered a reward to anyone who could put an end to these disasters. A mysterious stranger named Agahnim came and put an end to these troubles with a previously unknown magic. He was declared a hero and given the prestigious positions of chief advisor to the King, priest, and heir to the Seven Sages. Agahnim used this position and his mysterious magic to brainwash all of Hyrule's Soldiers, depose the King of Hyrule, and make six of the Maidens, descendant of the Seven Sages, disappear to the Dark World.
After being rescued by Link, Zelda, the last of the descendants, hides in the Sanctuary until Agahnim's troops find her and take her to the tower at the top of Hyrule Castle. There, Agahnim sends her to the Dark World, thus breaking the Seal of the Seven Sages. He gloats that nothing can stop him now, because the Tribe of Evil is armed with the Triforce, and that evil and darkness will soon overrun the Light World. With this, he seemingly vanishes, but Link is able to discover his whereabouts by slicing open a curtain and revealing a hidden chamber where he duels the Dark Wizard, turning his own magic against him. But before Link can soundly defeat him, Agahnim draws him into the Dark World. During his quest to rescue the Seven Maidens, Link learns that Agahnim is a servant, or perhaps a pawn, of Ganon.
When Link defeats Agahnim a second time at the top of Ganon's Tower in the Dark World, he collapses, and from his body a faint image of Ganon appears. The image turns into a bat and flees to the Pyramid of Power. At the start of the final battle, Ganon reveals that Agahnim was his alter ego.
When attacking, Agahnim hurls magical attacks against Link. The first of them, a magic ball, can be hit with the Master Sword to reflect it, so that it hits Agahnim himself and wounds him. The second one can also be hit with the Sword, but it splits up and flings fireballs throughout the room. The third one is a lightning attack which Link can only avoid by standing at Agahnim's side. He only does this when facing south from the north center of the room, and it cannot be reflected. If Link strikes at Agahnim's body with the Master Sword, he receives a violent electrical shock in consequence.
While he fights alone in Hyrule Castle, in Ganon's Tower he creates clones of himself to confuse Link. This can work to Link's advantage, as the clones only produce magic balls that can be bounced back with the Sword.
- Main article: Shadow Nightmares
In Link's Awakening, Agahnim makes an appearance as Agahnim's Shadow, one of the forms taken by the Shadow Nightmares. This appearance is very similar to his appearance in A Link to the Past, as is the method of defeating him. This Agahnim is simply a Nightmare, rather than the real Dark Wizard. In the original game as well as the DX version, he only uses the main fireball spell, although in the Switch version, he also uses the four-orbed decoy version from ALTTP as well, boosting the fight difficulty slightly.
A Link Between Worlds
Though Agahnim does not appear in A Link Between Worlds, Sahasrahla mentions a "deceitful wizard" who attempted to revive Ganon during the days of his alleged six-fold great-grandfather, referring to the events of A Link to the Past.
- The Magician from The Adventure of Link shares many similarities to Agahnim: both were close to the Royal Family of Hyrule but tricked them in order to serve Ganon. The Magician may have served as a prototype or concept for Agahnim.
- The battle against Agahnim is one of the first examples of Dead Man's Volley in the series.
- Strangely enough, Agahnim's fireballs can be reflected back at him by hitting them with the Bug Catching Net. This is referenced in later games by the fact that the player can reflect Ganon's attacks by swinging an Empty Bottle.
- The Blue Stalfos mini-boss of Ancient Tomb attacks in a quite similar manner to Agahnim, except that he cannot create lightning, but instead turns Link into a baby.
- The Eye Symbol that Agahnim has on the front of his robes in the official artwork, as well as a design throughout Hyrule Castle when on the way to confront him, strongly resembles the symbol of the Sheikah.
- His in-game sprite strongly resembles Ganondorf's Gerudo form dressed in green robes. Agahnim and Ganon also share the same theme music; this music later became Ganondorf's leitmotif in future games. The word used to describe Agahnim in Japanese, ぶんしん (Bunshin), loosely translates to "split soul." It is also used to describe Meg's copies in Ocarina of Time.
- Like Agahnim, Zant appears to be the primary antagonist of the game Twilight Princess until the plot takes an unexpected turn, revealing Ganon to be the Final Boss.
- In the official artwork, Agahnim is depicted with red robes, whereas in-game they are green.
- Agahnim closely resembles the common Wizzrobe, albeit larger and with more detailed robes. They also share a similar attack pattern that involve shooting orbs of magic at Link. Since Agahnim, like the Wizzrobes, is a dark sorcerer, he may be somehow related to them.
- In the Japanese version of A Link to the Past, the "tribe of evil" that Agahnim was referring to, was called the Demon Tribe, making Ganon the current King of the Demon Tribe.
|Names in Other Regions|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 162
- "Pestilence and drought, uncontrollable even by magic, ravaged the land. The king of Hyrule, after counsel with his sages, ordered an investigation of the Imprisoned Dark World (as the Golden land had come to be known) but the wise men's seal was apparently intact. He offered rewards for anyone who could find the source of these troubles. In answer to these summons a stranger named Agahnim came and quelled the disasters with a previously unseen form of magic." (A Link to the Past (SNES version) manual, pg. 6)
- "However, strange things have been happening in Hyrule since the appearance of Agahnim, a mysterious sorcerer who gained fame for extinguishing a blaze of unknown origin some years ago." (A Link to the Past (GBA version) manual, pg. 15)
- "As a reward, the king gave him a new position as chief advisor and heir to the Seven Wise Men. The masses proclaimed him their hero." (A Link to the Past (SNES version) manual, pg. 6)
- "The people heralded him as a hero; the King proclaimed him to be the second coming of the seven sages, appointed him priest, and invited him to the castle." (A Link to the Past(Japanese version) manual, pg. 9)
- "After Agahnim took over, everyone began to act strangely. I suppose it's only a matter of time before I'm affected, too." — Soldier (A Link to the Past)
- "A mysterious wizard known as Agahnim appeared as from nowhere...and with strange magic powers he eliminated the good king of Hyrule..." — N/A (A Link to the Past)
- "The wizard, Agahnim, has done something terrible to the other girls...Now only I remain...Agahnim has seized control of the castle and even now is trying to open the sages' seal." — Princess Zelda (A Link to the Past)
- "You must also rescue the seven maidens who Agahnim sent to the Dark World." — Sahasrahla (A Link to the Past)
- "Ho ho ho... With this, the seal of the seven sages is at last broken. It is now only a matter of time before evil power covers this land completely...After all, the legendary Hero cannot defeat us, the tribe of evil, when we are armed with the Power of Gold. Ho ho ho... Now, I must go!" — Agahnim (A Link to the Past)
- "Thank you! Ganon captured us because he couldn't break the seal of the sages with his power alone. And then, using the wizard Agahnim as his pawn, he drew us to the Dark World." — Maiden (A Link to the Past)
- "It's unbelievable that you defeated my alter ego, Agahnim the Dark Wizard, twice!" — Ganon (A Link to the Past)
- "Listen well, Link. Even with the Master Sword, you cannot inflict physical harm on the wizard. You must find a way to return his own evil magic power to him." — Sahasrahla (A Link to the Past)
- "I believe it was in the days of my grandfather's grandfather's grandfather... Yes, surely. A deceitful wizard conspired against all goodness to revive the Demon King Ganon." — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "...Agahnim... Now is the hour of the incantation... You must not fail me!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 68)
- "Hmmmm... I sense a being approaching the barrier surrounding the castle... A being with intense emotional energy..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 68)
- "What?! Can it be him?!book=A Link to the Past" ( (Nintendo Power) pg. 8)
- "Very well...I will send Princess Zelda into the Dark World before his very eyes! But, if he can make it here..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 68)
- "What are you saying?! It's my only chance! Huh?! Then it's true?!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 10)
- "Link: I...I can't move!!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 14)
- "I have been awaiting your arrival, foolish hero! Watch now as your precious princess vanishes--before your very eyes! Behold! The last moment of Princess Zelda! NOW!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 13,14)
- "Ho ho ho... Now, it is only a matter of time before the forces of evil conquer this world! Even the so-called Legendary Hero is helpless against us, the tribe of evil, now that we have the power of Gold--the Triforce!!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 15)
- "Soon I will send you to join her, Link!! See how helpless my magic has made you! Frozen like a statue! You challenged me only to meet your doom!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 16)
- "Hummph... The puny fool's rage is somehow being channeled by the Master Sword! He and the sword are as one!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 2)
- "It can defend as well as attack? I have you now, Agahnim! Your own evil energy will be the end of you!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 4)
- "It appears you are not such a fool after all... But it makes no difference... My defeat will not restore the wise men's seal, on the contrary... [...] And with my final breath...you will join Zelda in...the Dark World!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 5,6)
- "I was devoted to studying, aiming to become a magician. My friend who was a left-handed swordsman aimed to become a Knight of the Royal Family." (A Link to the Past (Himekawa) (Viz) pg. 162)
- "One day, my friend told me about the Sealing War, and that he was a descendant of the Guardian Knights. The Triforce grants the wishes of the person who touches it, no matter what. I thought it was just an old legend. But I couldn't suppress my fascination and investigated it and...I found out how to break the Sages' seal." (A Link to the Past (Himekawa) (Viz) pg. 163)
- "I made a deal with Ganon. He promised that if I could undo the Sages' seal, I would receive powerful magic. I sealed my wicked friend in the Dark World." (A Link to the Past (Himekawa) (Viz) pg. 164)
- "Heart and body, pure and beautiful, the Jewel of Hyrule, Princess Zelda. From the moment that I met you, I wanted you for my slave. It is a great pleasure to touch you with my hand." (A Link to the Past (Himekawa) (Viz) pg. 113)