??? artwork from Majora's Mask 3D
|Era||Child Era (MM)|
Era of Light and Dark (OoA)
Sky Era (SS)
???, also known as Phoeni, is a recurring character in The Legend of Zelda series. In all of the character's appearances, only its hand is visible. It is typically depicted as living inside a toilet or an outhouse.
In Majora's Mask, ??? emerges from the toilet of the Stock Pot Inn at midnight asking for paper, remaining until 6 am. Link can give it any item made of paper, such as any of the Title Deeds, the Letter to Kafei, or the Special Delivery to Mama. By doing so, ??? will reward him with a Piece of Heart.
???'s true origins and name are unknown. It is possible that perhaps this person fell in and could not get out.
Oracle of Ages
In Oracle of Ages, the Hand appears in the toilet of an outhouse in Lynna Village. The Hand is in need of paper, and asks Link to give them some. Link can give them the Stationery as part of the Trading Sequence. In exchange, the Hand will give him the Stink Bag, the next item in the Trading Sequence.
In Skyward Sword, the spectral hand of a young girl can be found in the toilet of the Knight Academy at night. She is unnamed in the game, but is named Phoeni in the Prima Games guide. Like ???, she also requests for paper. Once Link receives Cawlin's Letter, he can choose to deliver it to Karane or give it to Phoeni's hand. If he chooses to give it to Karane and visits Phoeni afterwards, she will tell Link she no longer needs paper before vanishing. If he chooses to give the letter to the hand, she will believe the letter was meant for her, and give Link five Gratitude Crystals in return (These same crystals are also eventually received if Link chooses to give the letter to Karane instead). Afterwards, Phoeni's hand will then be found stroking Cawlin's head while he sleeps.
- According to Shigeru Miyamoto, ???'s appearance and origin comes from Japanese horror stories involving a hand in a toilet.
- ???'s sound clips in Majora's Mask are the same as that of Mikau's when Link first meets him at Great Bay.
- ??? in Majora's Mask is a left hand. Various cultures around the world associate the left hand as dirty because right-handed people typically use the left hand to wipe themselves after using the toilet. However, in Oracle of Ages and in Skyward Sword it is a right hand.
- In Oracle of Ages, Link can throw in various items into the toilet to cause different reactions from the Hand:
- Another hand character appears in A Link to the Past. The hand was a Thief before being cursed in the Dark World.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese|| ？？ (??) (MM)
手 (Te) (OoA)
|FrenchEU||???||Same as English|
|German||???||Same as English|
|Italian||???||Same as English|
|SpanishEU||???||Same as English|
A mysterious hand that resides in a toilet at the Stock Pot Inn. Its identity is unknown...and that's probably for the best." — Bombers' Notebook (Majora's Mask 3D)
- "I suggest you cease being scared and speak to her." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Hear the voice begging for help? Try to enter and the voice of Phoeni the ghost begs you for paper!" (Skyward Sword Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 165)
- "Pa-Pa-Pa Paper, please!" — ??? (Majora's Mask)
- "Yeah! Ho! You saved me... This fell down here... I'll give it to you." — ??? (Majora's Mask)
- "??? (Person living in the Inn's restroom) Details are unknown." — Bombers' Notebook (Majora's Mask)
- "Many characters from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask appear in Labrynna, and the hand in the toilet is one of them." (Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 67)
- "Ignore Cawlin and give the paper letter to Phoeni." (Skyward Sword Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 165)
- "Please forget about the paper... Good-bye..." — Phoeni (Skyward Sword)
- "It's good to see you again... Actually, thanks to you, I met my true love... Yes, him... It all started with that letter that you gave me..." — Phoeni (Skyward Sword)
- "[...]But visit Cawlin's room at night, and you find Phoeni's spectral hand caressing him in his sleep!" (Skyward Sword Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 165)
- "There are some ghost stories in Japan where — when you are sitting in the bathroom in the traditional style of the Japanese toilet — a hand is actually starting to grab you from beneath. It's a very scary story." — Origin of Zelda Hand in Toilet, Hidden Triforce.