Wind Waker (Item)
|Other media||Hyrule Warriors|
|Comparable Item(s)||Ocarina of Time|
The Wind Waker is an important item that is central to the plot of The Wind Waker.
Location and Uses
The Wind Waker is a magical conductor's baton that is given to Link by the King of Red Lions when he reaches Dragon Roost Island. Long ago, it was used by the King of Hyrule to conduct the Sages when they played their song to call upon the gods.
The Wind Waker is said to have the power to change the direction of the wind, as well as being able to call upon and borrow the power of the gods. Link uses this to move around the Great Sea with much ease in The Wind Waker. It also has the power to open doors to ancient temples, awaken the sage within someone, allow him to travel in cyclones, take control of others and more.
There are six total Wind Waker songs that can be learned throughout the course of the game.
By moving the Control Stick, songs can be conducted in 3/4, 4/4, or 6/4 time, with each time signature having two separate songs. The C-Stick is then used to play one of five notes: up, down, left, right, and center. Both the timbre and the pace of the played music varies according to the time, and each song can only be played while conducting in the appropiate time.
Playing a song without moving the Control Stick to the left or right will allow songs to be played in 3/4 time.
- Wind's Requiem: Up, Left, Right - Learned at the Wind Shrine on Dragon Roost Island. Arguably the most useful song in the game; allows Link to change the direction of the wind.
- Song of Passing: Right, Left, Down - Learned from Tott on Windfall Island. Changes day to night and vice versa. The only optional song in the game.
Songs are played in 4/4 time by holding the control stick to the left while playing the song.
- Ballad of Gales: Down, Right Left, Up - Learned from Cyclos after hitting him three times with arrows. Allows Link to warp via a cyclone to one of several islands on the Great Sea.
- Command Melody: Left, Center, Right, Center - Learned from a stone tablet in the Tower of the Gods. Allows Link to take command of the statues in the Tower of Gods, as well as Medli and Makar when in the Earth Temple or the Wind Temple respectively.
6/4 time is activated by holding the control stick to the right while playing.
- Earth God's Lyric: Down, Down, Center, Right, Left, Center - Learned on Headstone Island. Is used with Medli to open the Earth Temple and several barriers within it.
- Wind God's Aria: Up, Up, Down, Right, Left, Right - Learned on Gale Isle. Is used with Makar to open the Wind Temple and several barriers within it.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||風のタクト (Kaze no Takuto)||Baton of Winds|
|SpanishEU||Batuta de los Vientos||Baton of Winds|
|FrenchEU||Baguette du Vent||Wand of Wind|
|German||Taktstock des Windes|
|Italian||Bacchetta del Vento||Wand of the Wind|
|Zelda - Baton gameplay|
- "That Wind Waker you hold was used long ago to conduct us sages when we played our song to call upon the gods. In those days, it was always the king who conducted for us..." — Fado (The Wind Waker)
- "This conductor's baton can call upon and borrow the power of the gods" — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker)
- The History of Zelda Documentary (Full), Youtube, retrieved 2013-09-25.
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - The Cutting Room Floor