| This article or section does not meet Zelda Wiki's quality standards.
Please Editing help is available. as you see fit.
|Title||Sorceress of Shadows|
|Game(s)||Oracle of Ages|
|Other Media||Oracle of Ages manga|
Veran is the antagonist of Oracle of Ages. She is the Sorceress of Shadows and has the ability to possess anybody she wishes. Although she appears to be the ultimate evil, Veran is actually a loyal servant to Twinrova, dedicated to bringing about the Dark Lord Ganon's revival by bringing sorrow to the hearts of everyone in Labrynna.
Veran first meets Link while controlling Impa and tricks him into moving a boulder that can only be moved by one who bears the sign of the Triforce. She then tricked him into getting close to Nayru, and then released Impa, so that she could possess Nayru. Quickly assuming control of Nayru's body, Veran immediately traveled back in time, to alter history to her liking.
As Nayru, Veran tricks Queen Ambi into trusting her and warping the purpose of the Black Tower, which was to be used to search for Ambi's lost love, convincing Ambi to order the town to build the Tower to the heavens. Veran also quickly dismissing anyone from the castle who may have brought Queen Ambi to her senses, leaving her grip on Ambi unopposed.
It soon came to Veran's attention that her bane grew deep within the woods outside of Lynna Village. In an attempt to rid herself of what might undermine her, Veran had Ambi offer a reward to anyone who could bring back the Mystery Seeds for her. Ironically, it was Link himself who would present the Seeds to Queen Ambi, unknowing of their advantage. Although it is never stated what Veran actually did with the seeds Link gave Ambi, it is mainly thought she had them destroyed. However, Veran remained unaware of the abundance of Mystery Seeds among others in the dungeons across Labrynna, as well as the Mystery Seed tree that grew on Rolling Ridge. Presumably, she was also unaware of the fast growth rate of Mystical Seeds.
Just before the Black Tower was completed, Link eventually came face-to-face with her, in Ambi's Palace, but Veran tells him that if he were to attack her, only Nayru would bear the damage. However, Link had found out about Veran's weakness to Mystery Seeds, and was prepared to take her down through their use. Following a short battle, Veran was driven from Nayru and posessed Queen Ambi herself. Taking full advantage of her situation, Veran was able to drive Link, Nayru and Ralph, who had burst into the palace at the same time as Link, away. However, Nayru rescued them all to the disappointment of Veran. As Link continued his quest, the Black Tower reached completion as the seventh Essence became his.
At this point, Veran had gained the power to control time to an extent, even without Nayru, freezing many in time as she cultivated her new power and restoring the chaos that Nayru's freedom had reversed. However, after Link obtained the eighth essence, another face confronted Veran before he could: Ralph.
Although Ralph knew that by killing his ancestor Queen Ambi and thus Veran, he would vanish, he cared only for the people of Labrynna, and so attempted to kill her, ultimately failing. However, due to Veran's 'generosity', Ralph lived on, and Veran moved on to face Link. After Link managed to free Ambi, he was only barely able to avoid possession himself. Continuing the battle, Link was eventually able to overcome Veran's final forms. However, Veran simply laughed, calling Link a fool as she died, her task complete. The revival of Ganon was simply closer to fruition.
Veran appears as a teal-skinned woman with a lightly-armored dress. Her abilities are very similar to that of a Wizzrobe, as she can teleport at will, create a flurry of fireballs, and summon spider-like creatures from the ceiling. One of her more terrifying abilities is to possess other beings, forcing them to do her bidding. Those under her possession gain her teal skin, but this never seems to be noticed by other characters. Veran can assume other shapes seemingly at will, her favored being her Evil Fairy form. With this she can spit fireballs and fly quickly, as well as produce at least four weak Shadow Links. If this fails, she can assume several animal forms. This is supposedly her last resort, as she decidedly finds these transformations to be utterly repulsive.
Veran is manipulative, cruel, and ambitious. She is also somewhat conceited, declaring her own beauty several times throughout the game. She does seem to be capable of granting mercy to a certain extent, as evidenced by her sparing Ralph's life, though this could also merely be a ploy to force Link not to attack her in order to protect Ralph, since she is in Ralph's ancestor's body. It is also somewhat interesting to note the vaguely Sheikah-like eye designs on her dress, and the symbol on her shoulder pads that she shares with General Onox.
Veran has several different strategies, depending on which form she is in.
- See also: Possessed Nayru
Possessed Nayru's only attack consists of shooting fireballs in a radial pattern. The projectiles spread out the further they travel, and Link's shield can't block them, so it's best to walk in the gaps that form at a distance.
The only way to attack Veran herself is by shooting her with Mystery Seeds from Link's Seed Shooter, or simply sprinkling the seed on her. If hit, Veran will temporarily lose her possession, but she'll seep back into Nayru if Link is not fast enough. By switching places with her via the Switch Hook, she'll have a tougher time getting back to the body, and Link will have the opportunity to slash her at least once. Even so, Possessed Nayru will often hide behind pillars scattered across the room while she prepares an attack, making it harder to hit her with the Seed Shooter and Switch Hook fast enough to get an attack in. If the attack process is repeated three times, Veran will be temporarily defeated, and Naryu will be freed.
The strategy for Ambi is little different than it was for Nayru. As Ambi, the only new ability Veran obtains is the ability to summon small spiders. Besides this, the strategy is still to use Mystery Seeds when she stops moving, then to use the Switch Hook to pull Veran out of Ambi.
Veran's true form is drastically different in appearance to the normal form she takes. Taking on the form of a demonic Fairy, Veran is now accompanied by four Dark Links, which behave similarly to Arm-Mimics in that they copy Link's movements. The four Dark Links always yield one heart each upon their defeat.
Veran's attacks in this form changed little from her other form, her signature energy attack becoming much faster, she will also shoot small and large blue fire balls, and of course physical contact. To defeat this form, Link simply had to attack her with his sword whenever she came into range, taking care to dodge her attacks. By repeating this method, Veran appeared to be defeated. As Link, Ralph and Nayru exited the Black Tower, a sudden rumbling had Link push Ralph and Nayru away, as a Wallmaster carried Link back to the top.
As the Wallmaster released Link, a truly horrific side of Veran was revealed, as she appeared to Link in the forms she had wished to keep a secret from everybody. Now, with no other choice before her, Veran revealed her Metamorphosis state.
During this phase, Veran is prone to randomly changing between her three shapes. There is no order in which Veran will change shapes, with the exception that she will always start in beetle form. Although she will normally change back to beetle after assuming one of her other two forms, it is entirely possible for her to go from Spider to Bee and vice-versa.
As little more than an oversized, grotesque beetle in this form, Link quickly realized that all Veran could do now was jump and land, creating a pool of acid underneath her when she landed. By attacking her face when she emerged with the sword, she would then transform into one of two forms.
Veran's bee form is much faster than the beetle form, she flies around the room at alarming speeds, occasionally summons a swarm of smaller bees that fly at Link, and can shoot a volley of stingers at Link, which slow his walking speed. Bee Veran is vulnerable to both the Seed Shooter and Sword. t
This form of Veran has no obvious weak point at first. Its attacks include high-speed charges and using web to pull itself onto the Tower roof, then slamming down in an attempt to crush Link. In this form, Veran can also catch Link in her web and slam him on the ground.
Out of all the weapons in Link's inventory, the only one which can reveal Veran's weak spot is one of his Bombs. By using a Bomb on this state, Veran would show her face for a few valuable seconds, allowing Link to attack her with his Sword. After Veran sustains enough damage, given her life, she will either revert to her beetle form or she will fall.
|Names in Other Regions|
|SpanishLA||Veran, Hechicera de las Sombras|
|French||Veran, Sorcière des Ombres|
|German||Veran, Meisterin der Schatten||Veran, Master of Shadows|
- "I am Veran, Sorceress of Shadows!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- "Oh, that's it! This rock with the triangle is a sign! Could you move this rock for me, Link? I'll...um...I'll just...I can't do it." — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- "That Veran! She couldn't touch the stone, so she used you to get past it!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "My, these Mystery Seeds are disgusting! Their shape and scent...yuck!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- "Link! I am amazed you have come so far. Wait! Do you mean to turn your sword on me? Hah hah hah hah! If you want to hurt Nayru, then go right ahead!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- "My body withers...But you are too late! My role...was to disrupt the currents of time...to flood humanity in sorrow. The despair that fills this land has already passed through this tower and on to Twinrova! I see it...burning blue...the Flame of Sorrow! Hah hah hah...I'll be waiting, Link...to haunt you...and the Evil King Ganon...will plunge the world...into darkness!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- "If you blast [Mystery Seeds] at Nayru, you'll cause Veran's spirit to exit her body." (The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Ages Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 101)
- "When Veran's dark spirit emerges, fire your Switch Hook at it to drag it away. Before Veran has a chance to retreat into Nayru's body, hit the specter with your sword." (The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Ages Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 101)
- "Repeat the process three times to rescue Nayru." (The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Ages Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 101)
- "Peace? Prosperity? How utterly dull!! Labrynna how it stands is a frightful bore. When I'm through, it will be a wonderful place, filled with hate, where the fighting never stops!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 76)
- "Don't take the boy lightly. He defeated Onox, the General of Darkness!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ media), pg. 9)
- "Leave it to me, Twinrova. I'll show you how a hero is destroyed... utterly and finally!" (Oracle of Ages manga (), pg. 9)
- "Hey, Mister! Buy some flowers?" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 14)
- "Stupid hero! You can ill afford to loaf around so! An ominous shadow approaches... A shadow from Labrynna!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 14)
- "I need you to move it because... um... it's too heavy... for me." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 19)
- "HA HA HA! No way! Ten minutes ago you lifted a cow!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 19)
- "JUST SHUT YER YAP AND MOVE IT!!" (The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 19)
- "Light and darkness approach together..." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 24)
- "I am the oracle who controls time. I can see the past and, to an extent, the future." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 25)
- "If you see the future...then you must know your own fate." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 26)
- "Yes. That's why I placed a barrier around the forest and hid myself here." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 26)
- "But my fate is certain. I cannot outwit the Goddess of Time." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 27)
- "Heh Heh Heh So compliant. What a good oracle you are." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 27)
- "I'm not Impa! My name is Veran!!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 27)
- "The power of the Oracle of Ages is mine!" (Oracle of Ages (VIZ Media), pg. 29)
- "Now... to the past... in order to erase you, Link!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 30)
- "Queen Ambi suddenly decided to build a tower that reaches all the way to heaven..." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 47)
- "That fishhook made a great lockpick!" (Oracle of Ages manga (), pg. 59)
- "He threatens our tower?! It cannot be! Have the child killed at once!!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 61)
- "When your tower reaches heaven...it will not only show the world Labrynna's power...it will carve your name in the annals of history – forever!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 61)
- "...Women, children...Everyone must work without rest!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 61)
- "...That went well. Now I'll go tell Link his fate." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 62)
- "...Or what? You'll hit me with a sword? Do that and the only one you'll hurt is Nayru." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 93)
- "Kill him, my pets!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 93)
- "Veran must have some weak spot!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 95)
- "This kitty cat is tough!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 96)
- "...Can't stand the heat, little man? You should have stayed out of my kitchen!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 97)
- "That's because Veran is still possessing her." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 98)
- "I knew there was something I didn't like about him. Perhaps I should look more deeply into his background..." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 115)
- "I'll be back before she awakens. Meanwhile, I think I'll look in on Sir Raven." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 119)
- "Link, who is that? I don't like him. He's scary." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 122)
- "...That demons that possess people can't stand Mystery Seeds." (The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 123)
- "I may not be able to defeat Link, but if I kill his ancestor Raven... Link will cease to exist." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 131)
- "I'm fading away! That's right! If they execute Raven, I'll disappear. It'll be like I never existed." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 138)
- "What're you waiting for? Kill Raven now!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 154)
- "I can't believe it! All the sorrow I spread... has been turned into great joy!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 146)
- "Veran... possessing the queen?!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 147)
- "These are enemies of the realm. Imprison them!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 150)
- "I'm going to go stall Veran." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 155)
- "...That won't work on me. This isn't my body." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 157)
- "But you're Queen Ambi's descendant. I know. I possessed you both." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 157)
- "Well, let's just see about that. Go ahead... Do it!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 157)
- "Drat! Queen Ambi isn't like Nayru – she's a normal human. She doesn't have any magical abilities." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 158)
- "Hurry! Finish the construction!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 158)
- "Ha! Even if I die, my desire will be a success." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 159)
- "You've revealed my true form! I detest this ugly, wretched body. You'll pay for this embarrassment... pay in blood!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 162)
- "I'll slowly crush the life from you!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 171)
- "Why am I so numb? I can't even move! Can this be... the holy power of the Triforce?!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 172)
- "...I know I'm done for Link... but I won't die alone!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 173)
- "T-Twinrova... I send one final lamentation... my own!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 176)
- "Both flames have now been lit... one for destruction and one for sorrow!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 178)