The Trident from Four Swords Adventures
|Other media||BS The Legend of Zelda|
Ancient Stone Tablets
A Link to the Past comic
Hyrule Warriors Legends
|Comparable Item(s)||Fused Shadow|
- 1 Appearances
- 2 Other Appearances
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Gallery
- 5 References
A Link to the Past
The Trident makes its first appearance in A Link to the Past, where Ganon uses it in the first stage of his boss battle. He will spin it and toss it at Link while sending Blazing Bats after him. After a certain point, Ganon will abandon this tactic and use his secret technique of Darkness in lieu of the Trident.
Although a Trident-wielding Ganon does not appear anywhere in Link's Awakening, the final boss will take Ganon's form and attack Link by throwing a Trident at him in a similar fashion to how Ganon attacked in A Link to the Past.
Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons
When Ganon is revived in the Linked Game ending for either Oracle of Ages or Oracle of Seasons, he uses the Trident to battle Link. He either attacks with a vicious direct swipe or a flurry of energy balls. Most of these attacks can be dodged using the Roc's Feather or Roc's Cape.
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, Ganondorf found the Trident when he broke Gerudo law and entered the Pyramid across the Desert of Doubt. Inside, he found it underneath an inscription that promised its wielder the power to become the King of Darkness. Ganon uses this Trident during the final battle, where his attacks include throwing the Trident with a trail of blue fire, and shooting a flurry of lightning bolts that send the Links into the Dark World.
Ganon believes that his Trident will grant him the power to destroy the Links, threatening to skewer them on it. Princess Zelda recognizes the Trident and refers to Ganon as the "ancient demon reborn" because he wields it.
A Link Between Worlds
When Ganon and Yuga join together, they wield a golden weapon that is a combination of Ganon's Trident, and Yuga's magical paintbrush staff. Yuga Ganon uses this Trident in order to combat Link at the end of the game until he absorbs the Triforce of Wisdom and begins using magic instead. The Trident is infused with dark power and is also used as a throwing weapon once more, but also retains Yuga's paintbrush staffs ability to transform other beings into paintings. After Yuga Ganon is defeated, the Trident is destroyed along with him.
|Ambiguously Canon Content||hide|
- According to the English translation of the Trident inscription in Four Swords Adventures, the Trident houses an "evil spirit." This quote seems to be mistranslated, however, instead simply being known as an "evil tool of demons" in Japanese.
The Shadow of Ganon in Link's Awakening, using a double-bladed Trident
Artwork of Ganon holding the Trident from Zelda Barcode Battler
|Ganondorf Trident trailer from Hyrule Warriors Legends|
- "You are doing well, lad. But can you break through this secret technique of Darkness? En garde!" — Ganon (A Link to the Past)
- "Curse that Ganondorf! He broke our laws and left for the pyramid...I don't know what he plans, but I am worried..." — Gerudo (Four Swords Adventures)
- "We grant you power to ruin the world. The power of darkness. Evil spirit of magic trident. You are the King of Darkness." — Inscription (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Gwah haa haaaa! Weaklings! Incompetent fools! You so-called heroes do not stand even a gnat's chance of harming me! Even if you worms attack in a group, I will skewer the lot of you on my mighty trident!!" — Ganon (Four Swords Adventures)
- "King of Darkness, ancient demon reborn. The wielder of the trident!!" — Princess Zelda (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Hear now the doom of the knights. We were bested by a foe with a mighty weapon. He cast us into the Dark World, where we and the jewels were lost in shadow." — Red Knight (Four Swords Adventures)
- "The Trident: An evil weapon born of darkness that slumbers within the pyramid. It is said that no one who enters the pyramid returns alive. [...] "Does your soul cry for destruction and conquest? We grant you the power to ruin the world."" (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 119)
- "Evil spirit of magic trident." — Trident inscription (Four Swords Adventures)
- "アンコク カラ ウミオトサレシ マ ノ ジャキ トライデント (Born from darkness, the evil tool of demons, the trident.)" — Trident inscription (Four Swords Adventures -- Japanese version)