Official artwork of the Recorder
|Other media||Animated series|
The Legend of Zelda comic
Access new areas
The Recorder, also referred to as a whistle in the game manual, is an item found only in The Legend of Zelda.
The music of this item causes various effects. First, it allows Link to warp to any dungeon he has cleared; if he is facing north or west, he warps to the next dungeon; if he is facing south or east, he warps to the dungeon before the one he is at. The Recorder must also be used to dry up a body of water revealing the entrance to a dungeon; in the Second Quest, it can unveil hidden caves, as well as the entrance to Level-6. Lastly, Digdogger is split into three smaller versions at the sound of the Recorder.
- The Warp Whistle from Super Mario Bros. 3 was based on the Recorder. When it is used, the same melody is played, and a whirlwind takes Mario to another location.
- An extended version of the melody played by the recorder is played in the title screen of Ocarina of Time; moreover, the same melody can also be heard in a small sample from the music of the Forbidden Woods in The Wind Waker as well as in the music of the Wind Ruins from The Minish Cap.
- In BS Zelda no Densetsu, the Recorder was replaced with a virtually identical Ocarina.
- The melody is also used for the Ocarina of Wind in The Minish Cap.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Stop worrying, Link. If I'm going to learn to fight in Ganon's Underworld, I've got to practice on my own." (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 1)
- "Okay, Zelda! If you get into trouble, blow the Magic Whistle and I'll be there!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 1)
- "If Link thinks I'm going to give up and call him to rescue me at the first sign of danger, he's in for a surprise! [...] A Gohma!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 3)
- "All right, I admit it! This IS too tough for me! I'm blowing the whistle, Link--come bail me out!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 4)
- "Ah, a magic whistle! This could be useful." — Link (The Legend of Zelda, Episode 5 )
- "Looks like a happy ending. Now we just have to get out of here. Time to whistle up a wind." — Link (The Legend of Zelda, Episode 5 )