Old Man from Breath of the Wild
|Other Media||The Shadow Prince|
A Link to the Past comic
|Era||Era of Light and Dark|
Era of Decline
Era of Shadow
|Family||Daughter (Old Man from Rauru)|
Niece (Old Man from Ruto)
Old Man is a title given to several characters serving different functions throughout the Zelda series.
- 1 Appearances
- 2 Non-Canon Appearances
- 3 Other Similar Old Men
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Etymology
- 6 Gallery
- 7 See Also
- 8 References
The Legend of Zelda
In The Legend of Zelda, there are several Old Men across Hyrule, each serving various needs, such as supplying Link with his first Sword, or giving helpful advice regarding enemies such as the Dodongo. Many helpful items can be obtained from these old men, and a mini-game can be played with them called the Money Making Game. If he is found in dungeons and is stabbed, the Torches around him will fire energy blasts at Link, similar to those of a Stone Statue.
The Adventure of Link
In The Adventure of Link, also known as Wise Man, one Old Man resides in each town. They teach Link useful Magic once he has achieved the necessary prerequisites. These magical abilities are usually required for access to the next area that Link must travel to.Great Palace, a dwarven Old Man keeps the Triforce of Courage. When Link enters the chamber of the Triforce, the Old Man stands atop a pillar and summons Shadow Link out of Link's body. When Link defeats his dark counterpart, the dwarven Old Man hands him the Triforce of Courage.
Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Seasons, Old Men appear in caves that Link finds using by using the Shovel or burning trees using Ember Seeds. Some bribe Link not to tell anybody about their secret caves by giving him a large sum of approximately 300 Rupees. Others will thank Link, and charge him a large sum of money in order to repair their doors.
There are three special Old Men in Holodrum who differ from the rest. The first (and only required one) lives in a house in Holodrum Plain, accessible after getting the Flippers. At first, the Old Man will only mutter to himself about someone he is waiting for. After getting the first five Essences of Nature, Link must visit and speak to him once more to receive the Round Jewel.
The second is a gold-robed Old Man living in a cave on the bottom of the river just below the Gnarled Root Dungeon, only accessible in Summer. At first, he will simply instruct Link to find and slay all four Golden Monsters; once Link has done so, he will reward him with the Red Ring.
The last one can be found in a hidden underground cavern behind the Clock Shop after beating a non-Linked game. This Old Man asks for a Secret, and if this secret is retrieved from a linked Oracle of Ages game and given to him, he will upgrade Link's Noble Sword to the Master Sword (or his Wooden Sword to the Noble Sword, if applicable).
Oracle of Ages
Only one Old Man cave is present in Oracle of Ages and is found in Rolling Ridge Base. In the past it is inhabited by a generous Old Man, who would give Link 200 Rupees. On the opposite, the Old Man inhabiting it in the present would charge him 50 Rupees to repair the door.
Four Swords Adventures
Old Men return in Four Swords Adventures, as Spirits who will assist the four Links by giving them hints in form of bizarre remarks. One appears in the Cave of No Return, jealous over Link for having friends, something he himself never had. He informs them that they can make it over the chasm by throwing themselves over. However, it is not a given that they'll give the four Links any hints or usable information, as sometime they will just give bizarre remarks, such as the old man found at the graveyard.
Breath of the Wild
- Main article: King Rhoam
In Breath of the Wild, an Old Man lives in the Great Plateau. He is first seen after Link emerges from the Shrine of Resurrection, beneath a small alcove. Link can attempt to steal the Baked Apple near the Old Man's fire, only to be chided for stealing. However, the Old Man reveals this to be a joke, and welcomes Link to eat it. He also invites Link to take the torch leaning against the wall behind him, though he asks what Link intends to use it for. If Link replies that he plans to use it as a weapon, the Old Man will advise him to take the axe found nearby in a tree stump instead. He introduces himself as a strange, old man and informs Link that they are on the Great Plateau, the origin of the kingdom of Hyrule. He then points out the Temple of Time, which was formerly a site of sacred practices.
After Link causes the Great Plateau Tower to rise, the Old Man descends upon Link with his Paraglider at the base of the Tower. He greets Link and informs him that Sheikah Towers across Hyrule simultaneously arose, and asks Link if he noticed anything peculiar while he was atop the Tower. Upon hearing of the disembodied voice that was guiding Link, the Old Man points out the caliginous force surrounding Hyrule Castle, declaring it the Calamity Ganon. He tells Link that one century prior, the Calamity Ganon brought destruction upon Hyrule until it was contained within Hyrule Castle. Warning Link of the inevitability of the Calamity Ganon's escape, he asks whether the young hero intends to confront it and draws attention to the fact that leaving the Great Plateau is impossible without a Paraglider. Upon Link asking for the Paraglider, the Old Man directs him to the nearby Oman Au Shrine, telling him that he will trade the Paraglider in exchange for the treasure inside.
After this, the Old Man is found north of the Woodcutter's House, attempting to chop down a tree. If Link inquires what he is doing, he replies that he wants to use the tree as Firewood, and gives Link a few tips on tree-chopping. He will also ask if Link will cut the tree down for him, since he is tired. If Link does so, the Old Man will be grateful and invite him to take the Firewood obtained from chopping up the tree. He will then walk over to the Cooking Pot in front of the Woodcutter's House and sit down. Inside, his diary can be read, giving Link a hint that if he can make the Spicy Meat and Seafood Fry, he can obtain the Warm Doublet from the Old Man. If Link successfully makes this dish and shows it to him, the Old Man will thank him and give him the Warm Doublet.
He can also be found in the Forest of Spirits, crouching behind a tree during the day. If talked to, he will say that he is hunting, and implores Link to crouch down as well, as not to scare away his prey. However, even if Link does this, it will achieve nothing of significance. If talked to again, he will instruct Link about hunting, then make his way to the nearby Cooking Pot and sit. At night, he will be sleeping in the ruin nearby.
After Link completes the Shrine of Trials, he is met outside by the Old Man, who congratulates him on obtaining a Spirit Orb and reveals the significance of the Spirit Orb in relation to the ancient civilization of the Sheikah, who constructed the Shrines of Trials across the land. He amends his bargain and tells Link that there are three remaining Shrines of Trials on the Great Plateau, and that he will receive the Paraglider upon having completed them all. Encouraging Link to use the Great Plateau Tower as a vantage point to locate the other Shrines, he teaches Link about the Sheikah Slate's ability to Warp to Sheikah Towers and Shrines of Trials that he's encountered before as a shortcut for ascending the Tower.
If Link converses with him near a Cooking Pot, the Old Man will give him cooking advice.
Other Similar Old Men
- Sahasrahla, Aginah, and the Lost Old Man – in A Link to the Past.
- Ulrira – in Link's Awakening.
- Old Man in Kakariko Village – in Ocarina of Time.
- Lake Scientist – in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.
- Old Man Ho Ho – in The Wind Waker.
- Sturgeon – in The Wind Waker and The Minish Cap.
- Gramps – in A Link Between Worlds
- The Old Men share many similarities with the Wise Men from A Link to the Past. In The Adventure of Link, the daughter of the Old Man Link meets in Rauru calls them "Wise Men". Also in The Adventure of Link, there are nine Old Men: one in each of the eight towns and one keeping the Triforce of Courage in the Great Palace.
- In The Legend of Zelda, Link was originally going to have a choice between taking the Wooden Sword or the Boomerang.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese|| ジイサン (Jīsan) (TLoZ)
おじいさん (Ojīsan) (TLoZ)
マジシャン (Majishan) (TAoL)
老人 (Rōjin) (BotW)
| Old Man|
|FrenchEU||Vieil Homme||Old Man|
|German||Alter Mann||Old Man|
|Italian||Anziano (Uomo Vecchio)|
|Dutch||Oude man||Old man|
|Russian||Старик (Starik) (BotW)||Old man|
- "IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE! TAKE THIS" — Old Man (The Legend of Zelda)
- "DODONGO DISLIKES SMOKE" — Old Man (The Legend of Zelda)
- "LET'S PLAY MONEY MAKING GAME" — Old Man (The Legend of Zelda)
- "SHOW THIS TO THE OLD WOMAN" — Old Man (The Legend of Zelda)
- "BUY MEDICINE BEFORE YOU GO" — Old Woman (The Legend of Zelda)
- "EACH TOWN HAS A WISE MAN. LEARN FROM HIM." — Old Man's Daughter in Rauru (The Adventure of Link)
- "IN PARAPA DESERT USE THIS MAGIC TO SURVIVE" — Old Man in Rauru (The Adventure of Link)
- "Soil, time, sun, rain, warmth... I await one who knows many essences..." — Old Man (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Urrk urrrk... You...have friends... I'm jealous... If you have friends, you can toss 'em across chasms... I never had any friends. You're a lucky guy..." — Old Man spirit (Four Swords Adventures)
- "I came to visit my departed wife's grave. Then she showed up, saying she came to visit MY grave... I wish someone would tell me which one of us is the ghost and which isn't!" — Old Man spirit (Four Swords Adventures)
- "I BEG YOUR PARDON! I do believe that is my Baked Apple! You can't just go about taking whatever you please!" — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "Har har har! Forgive me--I couldn't help myself! Please, enjoy! An apple and an open flame is a recipe for a succulent treat." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "Innovative... However, that is probably best used to light fires. If you need a weapon, you can find something better. Many beasts roam the land beyond this point. You can can take my axe with you, if you please. Assuming you can find it." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "It is a bit of surprise to see a fellow traveler these days. [Who are you?] I need not be a concern of yours. I'm just a strange old man, that's all. One who has lived here, alone, for quite some time now. Enough of that. What about you, young one? What are you doing here? [Where are we?] Answering a question with a question. That is fair enough. As I cannot imagine our meeting to be a simple coincidence...I shall tell you. This is the Great Plateau. According to legend, this is the birthplace of the entire kingdom of Hyrule." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "That temple there... Long ago, that was the site of many sacred ceremonies. Since the decline of the kingdom, it now sits abandoned, in a state of decay. Yet another forgotten entity. A mere ghost of its former self..." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "My my... It would seem that we have quite the enigma here. This tower and several just like it have erupted across the land, one after another. Very interesting... It appears that some long-dormant power has awoken quite suddenly. Did anything...odd happen to you while you were on top of that tower?" — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "[I heard a voice.] I suspected as much... And did you happen to recognize the voice at all? [No.] I see. Well, then...that is a shame. I assume that you caught full sight of that atrocity swarming around the castle. That...is the Calamity Ganon." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "It brought ruin and corruption upon the kingdom of Hyrule 100 years ago. It appeared suddenly...destroying everything in its path. Leaving countless innocents in its wake. Over the last century, the kindgom's purest symbol, Hyrule Castle, has been able to contain that evil. But just barely." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "There it festers, building its strength for the moment it will unleash its blight upon the land once again. It would appear that moment is fast approaching... I must ask you, young one... Do you intend to make your way to the castle? [I do.] I thought so. Here, on this isolated plateau, we are surrounded on all sides by sheer cliffs, with no way off or down. If you were to try and jump, well...no death could be more certain. Or foolish. Of course, if you had a paraglider like me, that would be quite another story!" — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Give it to me!] Har har har! Sure! Why not? But there is no such thing as a free item in this world, you know. Let's see now... How about a trade for a bit of treasure that slumbers nearby? Come. Let me show you something." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "Oho! Fancy that! So we meet again. [What are you doing?] I thought this tree here would make for some good firewood. However...getting a tree to fall exactly where you want it to is quite an art. The trick is to turn your hips so that they face where you want the tree to land." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "So... I see you found my axe. Why not help me out and give it a few swings? I'm working up quite a sweat here...but these bones could use a break." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "Oho! I see you did my work for me. Wonderful! Go ahead and take some of that wood for yourself. Don't be shy, now." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "The old man's diary... On this desolate plateau, the only thing that gives me comfort is cooking. And today, I outdid myself! Truly, I created the perfect dish. I call it...spicy meat and seafood fry. This recipe not only restores health, but it also keeps me warm, even when traveling in the snowy mountains. With this dish on my side, I no longer have need of that itchy warm doublet. [Read more.] I do not know how I allowed this to happen, but it seems I forgot to write down a very important recipe. (...) If I did find someone who knew the missing ingredient, I would happily reward them with my warm doublet." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "If you're hungry, I have an empty pot you can use to cook yourself a meal. [I cooked something.] Wait... Is that... That looks just like my signature perfect dish, spicy meat and seafood fry! But how did you-?! Well, I suppose that is not important. Can I trouble you to share the recipe? (...) Well done! Now, please allow me to reward your culinary efforts with this warm doublet." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "You did well to make it this far without the proper clothing. Please take this warm doublet as a reward for your tenacity. I assume you will want to try it on right away, yes? I thought you might be eager to see how it looks... It's quite fetching! Well, I suppose it matters not. It is yours now. Do take care to put it on before you get too cold, though." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "Ahhh... I enjoy gazing out at the world from here. [B-b-breathtaking view...] This may be the best place to get a full view of the entire plateau. Did you know about the scope on your Sheikah Slate? Look through it, and you can stick a pin anywhere you'd like to mark on the map.
The pins on your map serve as reference points for your travels. Just stick a pin anywhere you're interested in! [How do you know?] Oho ho! Just a few tricks I've picked up after many, many years in the wild... You may take my advice or leave it. Go ahead and take a look if you feel inclined to do so." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "Well, well, well... So we meet again. [What are you doing?] Can you not see that I'm hunting here? You'll scare off my prey like that. At least crouch down a bit." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "Quiet, please. I'm still hunting. [Got any tips?] First, crouch down and approach your prey quietly to ensure you will not be noticed. When you're close enough that detection is nearly imminent...draw your bow and let your arrow fly! Aim thoughtfully, and you should be able to take down your prey with a single arrow. I am rather tired... Yes, I think I'm going to take a small break." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "Seems you managed to get your hands on a Spirit Orb! Well done! [Paraglider, please?] Let's slow down for a moment there, my young friend. The appearance of those towers and the awakening of this shrine... It's all connected to that Sheikah Slate you carry on your hip there. [What do you mean?] It has been quite some time since I've seen or heard of the Sheikah Slate... Long ago, an advanced civilization known as the Sheikah inhabited these lands. It was the power and wisdom of the Sheikah that saved this land time and time again. But their civilization disappeared long ago...or so it is said. It is interesting, however, to think...that something of them might still remain hidden away in a shrine such as this. These shrines are tucked away in numerous places all across this land." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "On this plateau alone, I believe there are still three more. Secure the treasure from those shrines...and I will give you the Paraglider. [So I need more now?] I said "treasure," but I never said there would only be one treasure. Whether it's one treasure or four, what's the difference for a young go-getter like yourself?" — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "If you will, allow me to teach you a trick for finding the shrines. It's always best to survey the area by looking around from a high point. Let's see here... Why don't you see if you can make your way up to the top of that tower again? [Are you joking?] Har har har... Hardly. Let me show you something... Take a look at the Map on your Sheikah Slate. Do you see those blue icons? One is a shrine, and the other is the tower. You can travel instantly to either of those places with the Sheikah Slate." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "An old man with a long cane suddenly appears in the road in front of them. 'Just a humble townsman,' the man says. 'And a friend to you.' [...] The man shuffles forward, waving his cane. 'That's right, young fella!' He smiles, showing a row of crooked, yellow teeth. Then he reaches into his cloak and pulls out something that glimmers like gold. [...] The man places it in Link's hand." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 69, 70)
- "'A key!' he says with a wink. 'A key, that's what she is! Listen, take my advice and don't go through Ruto on your way to Saria. Terrible traffic jam in there.' Before Link can ask any more questions, the man turns and disappears into the tall grass by the roadside." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 70)
- "We must escape and make our way to the Sanctuary!! The Old Man there will help us" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 13)
- "Yes...and were he successful, the master of evil would marshal his forces against this world again!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 14)
- "Link? If you are going to battle the wizard Agahnim, do not underestimate him! I sense a powerful evil force is guiding his actions..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. )
- "Don't worry about me! Find the Master Sword! Link--it's up to you alone!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 16)
- The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 41