|Title(s)||Oracle of Ages|
|Other Media||Oracle of Ages manga|
Era of Light and Dark
Nayru is a recurring character in The Legend of Zelda series.
Oracle of Ages
Nayru first appears in the game, Oracle of Ages, which is, of course, named after her title. She is a singer with one of the finest voices ever heard in Labrynna. However, her true identity as the Oracle of Ages is exposed when Veran possesses her, in order to take control of Nayru's ability to control the flow of time.
Nayru is a very peaceful person. She enjoys singing, and it is this that has made her popular throughout the land, among Humans and Animals alike. She attracts both when she sings. Her personality is somewhat timid, but judging from her actions, she'll do whatever she can to help a friend in need, or Link. Ralph, her protector whom she has known since they were both children, is a close friend of hers, and never far away.
Nayru also possesses a mystical instrument known as the Harp of Ages, which allows Link (and presumably whoever holds it) to shift through the folds of time, when the right songs are played. However, Nayru will also use the Harp for simply playing a tune on occasion. As the Oracle of Ages, Nayru has no true need for the Harp of Ages, as she is capable of moving through time at a whim. It is quite likely that Nayru herself created the Harp of Ages.
- See also: Possessed Nayru
Possessed Nayru is a name given to Nayru while she is possessed by Veran. She was initially possessed in the opening scenes of the game, where the handful of witnesses included Impa, Ralph and Link. Everyone else, aside from the nearly-omniscient Maku Tree, is unaware of the possession, and still believe she is the pure Oracle of Ages. With Nayru serving as her cloak, Veran begins to malevolently advise Queen Ambi's decisions in the past, which affect both the past age's citizens, and the present age in which Link initially resides.
One notable influence Veran gave was to seal off Ambi's Palace from casual visitors, barring both Link and Ralph from attacking Veran directly. Another was to discreetly confiscate all Mystery Seeds, the only known way to harm a possessing Veran without also hurting the possessed. Early in the game, Link unknowingly offered his seeds to the Queen and her adviser in order to temporarily enter the Palace and meet Veran face-to-face. He was still able to gain more Mystery Seeds later in the game, however.
After obtaining the Lonely Peak, Queen Ambi leaves her Palace, dropping the guard enough for Link to penetrate the castle's defenses and reach Possessed Nayru. Once Link is victorious in the ensuing battle, Nayru will be freed from Veran's grasp, and teach Link the Tune of Ages. Veran herself will instead possess Queen Ambi, a possession that will remain until the significantly tougher final boss fight in Black Tower.
The Minish Cap
Nayru also appears in The Minish Cap, where it is mentioned that she descends from a long line of oracles in Labrynna. She is one of the three ladies in the Happy Hearth Inn (along with Din and Farore). In exchange for help finding a house, she will be able to give Link a Charm. Nayru's charm boosts defense and turns Link's tunic blue for the short duration of the effect.
|Nayru (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
||She's looking for a house in Hyrule to move into. She is descended from a line of oracles in the land of Labrynna.|
- Early concept art for Nayru depicts her holding a paintbrush and palette, indicating that she was originally planned to be an artist. This is in keeping with the knowledge that Mystical Seed of Wisdom was going to feature color themed gameplay mechanics.
|Names in Other Regions|
|SpanishLA||Nayru, Oráculo de los Tiempos (OoA)|
|FrenchEU||Nayru (Oracle)||Same as English|
|German||Nayru, Orakel der Zeiten||Nayru, Oracle of Ages|
|Italian||Nayru, Oracolo del Tempo||Nayru, Oracle of Time|
Nayru playing the Harp of Ages as Maple and some animals listen
Link, Nayru, and Ralph waving goodbye to Queen Ambi
Ralph and Nayru run down a street with some kids and a bag of groceries during the linked ending
- "I am Nayru, Oracle of Ages." — Nayru (Oracle of Ages)
- "She's looking for a house in Hyrule to move into. She is descended from a line of oracles in the land of Labrynna." — Nayru Figurine (The Minish Cap)
- "Nayru's the best singer in Labrynna!" — Monkey (Oracle of Ages)
- "Nayru is no mere diva! She is the Oracle of Ages, who controls time!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- "Nayru! Oracle of Ages! I shall make your body my own! Ah hah hah hah!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- "Now the oracle's powers are mine. I can travel through time as I choose!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- "I've known Nayru was the Oracle of Ages since she was a child. I have always been beside her, protecting her." — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "Harp of Ages: A harp used to navigate time." — Inventory Description (Oracle of Ages)
- "They said the Oracle of Ages convinced Queen Ambi to build a Black Tower..." — Maku Tree (Oracle of Ages)
- "Those are the Mystery Seeds Queen Ambi has been demanding! Nice work, kid! I'll take you to the palace!" — Castle Guard (Oracle of Ages)
- "Link! I have great news!!! Queen Ambi has just left the palace! Now is your chance! This may be your only opportunity to save Nayru!" — Maku Tree (Oracle of Ages)
- "Thank you, Link! You've safely pried me from Veran's grip." — Nayru (Oracle of Ages)
- "Now let me teach you the last tune, which will unlock the true power of the Harp of Ages." — Nayru (Oracle of Ages)
- "Hahh... The body of a queen suits me just fine!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- "If you have an empty bottle, I can put one of my homemade charms inside!" — Nayru (The Minish Cap)
- "You got Nayru's Charm! Your guard will be strengthened for a while!" — N/A (The Minish Cap)
- "Light and darkness approach together..." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 24)
- "I am the oracle who controls time. I can see the past and, to an extent, the future." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 25)
- "Your story is told... generation after generation..." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 26)
- "No. I mean you." (Oracle of Ages (VIZ Media), pg. 26)
- "I you see the future... then you must know your own fate." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 26)
- "But my fate is certain. I cannot outwit the Goddess of Time." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 27)
- "Veran possessed Nayru... and is using her abilities as the Oracle of Ages to move through time." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 31)
- "He said that I should tell you... that he will love you for all eternity." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 145)
- "I built it so that no matter in the world he was... he might see it... and never forget me." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 145)
- "Stop loafing, guards! Seize them!!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 147)
- "Oh Ralph, you big softy!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 151)
- "We can still find some Mystery Seeds... If we return to the past." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 152)
- "Link, this is a young mystery tree. It will grow mystery seeds." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 154)
- "Ralph is a noble... from Labrynna! Queen Ambi is his direct ancestor." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 156)
- "Ralph and Nayru, you've both done well." (Oracle of Ages (VIZ Media), pg. 190)
- "Link was the true hero. He's very brave." (Oracle of Ages (VIZ Media), pg. 190)
- "Nayru is occasionally depicted holding a brush because in the early stages of development, there was an item called the Magic Paintbrush. It was created to make use of the Game Boy Color." - Hyrule Historia
- "The Tale of Wisdom was to use a color theme, with various events and areas and tools built around certain colors..." — The Legend of Zelda: The Third Oracle, IGN.