Misery Mire (A Link to the Past)
The Dungeon entrance
|Location(s)||Swamp of Evil|
|Game(s)||A Link to the Past|
|Other media||A Link to the Past comic|
|Main Item||Cane of Somaria|
Entrance to the Mire
The Misery Mire Dungeon is located in the Swamp of Evil. It can only be entered by one who uses the Ether Medallion in front of the entrance to calm the storms that ravage the area. It is the sixth Dark World Dungeon, and the tenth Dungeon overall in the game. Its Light World counterpart is the Desert Palace.
The dungeon is green-colored, and features Wizzrobe creatures. One of the main rooms feature a double maze (one under the other, where numerous fireball snakes maraud aimlessly); another room opens its space when Link lights four torches with the Fire Rod, and another room is a large chasm that can only be crossed through wooden bridges. It is somewhat reminiscent of the Swamp Palace because of the dungeon's location (a large body of water), the boss and the overall atmosphere; however, there is no water anywhere. The dungeon is home to the mysterious artifact, the Cane of Somaria, useful to press slacked switches; the trapped Maiden is guarded by the monstrous creature Vitreous.
Enemies and Traps
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Heh heh. Thank you. As a matter of fact, monster magic is making it rain in the swamp. If you can move the air with more force than the monsters, the rain may stop." — Strange Creature (A Link to the Past)
- "Zelda: Link!
Link: Zelda?! Is that you?!
Zelda: I...am...nearby... Hurry!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 9)
- "Can't you hear her? Zelda is calling from beyond the wasteland!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 9)
- "Now you're hearing things! Anyway, the wasteland is way too harsh! Once you get in there, you can't escape!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 9)
- "If this wasteland is as dangerous as you say it is, I've got to get Zelda out of there right away!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 10)
- "It's some kind of oasis! This must be where Zelda is being held! Zelda! I'm on my way! [...] Can it be? Zelda! I finally found you!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 11)
- "But wait... The girl in the crystal said Zelda was in a rock shaped like a turtle..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 12)
- "You walked right into my trap, tasty morsel! This is Misery Mire, world famous for its fine aroma of Swamp Gas. You're just in time for dinner with Sir Vitreous, the master of this place... Dinner, with you as the main course!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 12)