| This article is a viable candidate for reorganization.
Please see the related discussion on this article's for more information concerning its future layout.
- This article is about the item that increases Link's health. For the health meter, see Life Gauge.
Heart Container from Breath of the Wild
|Other media||Super Smash Bros.|
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U
Link: The Faces of Evil
Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon
|Use(s)||Increasing Link's total life|
Heart Containers, also called Bowl of Hearts, are recurring items in The Legend of Zelda series. They increase Link's maximum health, which is represented by a set of Hearts, excluding The Adventure of Link, where his health is symbolized by a life bar. Collecting enough Pieces of Heart assemble a Heart Container, increasing Link's maximum health.
Location and Uses
As Link progresses through the games, he will require more and more health in order to survive the greater challenges. This additional health is acquired in the form of Heart Containers, with each Heart Container adding one whole heart to the amount of hearts Link has. A Heart Container is awarded after every major boss in most games. Most games finish with Link having gained a total of 20 hearts. It is possible to finish some games without collecting any Heart Containers.
Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures break from the series standard since Heart Containers are not permanent upgrades. In these titles, stages contain Heart Container upgrades, but the Links begin the next stage without them. Tri Force Heroes also breaks from the series standard as there are no obtainable Heart Containers. Instead, the Links can temporarily increase their total number of hearts by entering a Level while wearing the Jack of Hearts, Queen of Hearts, or Lady's Ensemble Outfits. Both the Jack of Hearts and Lady's Ensemble increase the Links' shared Hearts by one, whereas the Queen of Hearts Outfit increases their Hearts by three.
Heart Containers can apparently form when people display deep affection for each other, as seen in Twilight Princess where Yeto and Yeta create Hearts and a Heart Container in their embrace. Twilight Princess also considers Heart Pieces to be sources of love, as seen with Madame Fanadi when she asks Link for what type of prediction he wants to see.
In Breath of the Wild a statue, found in Hateno Village, can exchange a Heart Container, for a Stamina Container and vice-versa at the cost of 20 rupees. This allows players to effectively alter their choice of spirit orb spending at will, so long as they have the rupees to spend.
Heart Containers Summary
Note that in The Adventure of Link, Link's health is illustrated by blocks instead of Hearts, and that in Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures, Heart Containers are not permanent upgrades.
|Obtained from Bosses||8||10||8||8||4||8||6||5||8||7||5||6||10||4|
|Found in the Overworld||5||4||1||1||6||8||2||23|
|Formed by Pieces of Heart||6||3||9||13||3||11||11||9||6||7|
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese|| 命の器 (Inochi no Utsuwa)
ハートの器 (Hāto no Utsuwa)
| Life Container|
|SpanishEU||Contenedor de Corazón||Heart Container|
|SpanishLA||Contenedor de Corazón||Heart Container|
|FrenchEU||Réceptacle de Cœur||Receptacle of Heart|
|ChineseSI||心之容器 (Xīn zhi Róngqì)||Heart Container|
- "This is a Bowl of Hearts which increases Link's Hit-Points." (The Adventure of Link Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo of America), pg. 44)
- "You can find additional heart containers on your quest." (Phantom Hourglass Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 8)
- "Pick up the Heart Container to add it to Link's Life Gauge, which allows Link to absorb more damage." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. (Prima Games), pg. 15)
- "Link receives a Heart Container in most dungeons after defeating the dungeon's boss." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 15)
- "Also, a legend tells of four red crystal hearts hidden somewhere in the land of Tolemac. Each time Zelda finds and grabs one, her Life Meter increases by one heart." (Zelda's Adventure manual, pg. 3)
|Majora's Mask Trade Sequence|
|Moon's Tear > Land Title Deed > Swamp Title Deed > Mountain Title Deed > Ocean Title Deed > 5x Piece of Heart + 200 Rupees|