| This article is a viable candidate for reorganization.
Please see the related discussion on this article's for more information concerning its future layout.
- This article is about the item that increases Link's health. For the health meter, see Life Gauge.
Heart Container from Breath of the Wild
|Other media||Super Smash Bros.|
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U
Link: The Faces of Evil
Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon
|Use(s)||Increasing Link's total life|
Heart Containers, also known as a Bowl of Hearts in The Adventure of Link, are recurring items in The Legend of Zelda series. They increase Link's Life Gauge, which is represented by a set of Hearts, excluding The Adventure of Link, where his health is symbolized by a life bar. Collecting enough Pieces of Heart assembles a Heart Container and increases Link's maximum health.
Location and Uses
As Link progresses through the games, he will require more and more health in order to survive the greater challenges. This additional health is acquired in the form of Heart Containers, with each Heart Container adding one whole heart to the amount of hearts Link has. A Heart Container is awarded after every major boss in most games. Most games finish with Link having gained a total of 20 hearts. It is possible to finish some games without collecting any Heart Containers.
Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures break from the series standard since Heart Containers are not permanent upgrades. In these titles, stages contain Heart Container upgrades, but the Links begin the next stage without them. Tri Force Heroes also breaks from the series standard as there are no obtainable Heart Containers. Instead, the Links can temporarily increase their total number of hearts by entering a Level while wearing the Jack of Hearts, Queen of Hearts, or Lady's Ensemble Outfits. Both the Jack of Hearts and Lady's Ensemble increase the Links' shared Hearts by one, whereas the Queen of Hearts Outfit increases their Hearts by three.
Heart Containers can apparently form when people display deep affection for each other, as seen in Twilight Princess where Yeto and Yeta create Hearts and a Heart Container in their embrace. Twilight Princess also considers Pieces of Heart to be sources of love, as seen with Madame Fanadi when she asks Link for what type of prediction he wants to see.
In Breath of the Wild, Link receives a Heart Container after defeating each of the four bosses found in the Divine Beasts. Link can also earn Heart Containers by choosing them over a Stamina Vessel after trading in four Spirit Orbs to a Goddess Statue anywhere in Hyrule. Spirit Orbs are rewarded to Link at the end of every Shrine. Link can obtain up to 23 Heart Containers from Goddess Statues, allowing him to have a maximum of 30 hearts. If Link instead uses his Spirit Orbs to achieve three full Stamina Wheels from the Goddess Statue, he will only have enough Spirit Orbs left to obtain a total of 27 hearts.
By visiting the Horned Statue in Hateno Village, Link can exchange his Heart Containers for Stamina Vessels and vice versa. This is achieved by selling either a Heart Container or a Stamina Vessel to the Horned Statue in exchange for 100 Rupees. The Horned Statue then allows Link can then buy one of either item at a higher price of 120 Rupees. This allows Link to change how he spent his Spirit Orbs at the total cost of 20 Rupees for each conversion.
Heart Containers Summary
|Starting Life Gauge||3||4||3||3||3||3||3||3||3||3||3||3||6||3||3|
|Obtained from Bosses||8||-||10||8||8||4||8||6||5||8||7||5||6||10||4|
|Found in the Overworld||5||4||1||-||-||-||1||-||1||-||6||8||2||-||23|
|Formed by Pieces of Heart||-||-||6||3||9||13||3||11||11||9||-||-||6||7||-|
|Maximum Life Gauge||16||8||20||14||20||20||14||20||20||20||16||16||20||20||30|
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese|| 命の器 (Inochi no Utsuwa)
ハートの器 (Hāto no Utsuwa)
| Life Container|
|SpanishEU||Contenedor de Corazón||Heart Container|
|SpanishLA||Contenedor de Corazón||Heart Container|
|FrenchEU||Réceptacle de Cœur||Receptacle of Heart|
|ChineseSI||心之容器 (Xīn zhi Róngqì)||Heart Container|
- "This is a Bowl of Hearts which increases Link's Hit-Points." (The Adventure of Link Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo of America), pg. 44)
- "You collected four Pieces of Heart. Now, you have a complete Heart Container!" — N/A (Link's Awakening)
- "You got a Piece of Heart! Collect four pieces total to get another Heart Container. More containers mean more life energy!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "You got a Piece of Heart! Collect four Pieces of Heart to assemble a new Heart Container." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "You got a Piece of Heart! Collect four in all to get an extra Heart Container!" — N/A (Oracle series)
- "You got a Piece of Heart! Collect four to form one Heart Container. More Heart Containers mean more life energy! How exciting!" — N/A (The Wind Waker)
- "You got a Piece of Heart! Collect 5 pieces to form a new Heart Container and increase your life energy!" — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "You got a Piece of Heart! Collect four to make a new Heart Container for even more life energy!" — N/A (The Minish Cap)
- "You got a Piece of Heart! This completes the Heart Container. Your heart capacity will increase by one!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "Collect four pieces of heart to gain another heart container." — N/A (A Link Between Worlds)
- "You can find additional heart containers on your quest." (Phantom Hourglass Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 8)
- "Pick up the Heart Container to add it to Link's Life Gauge, which allows Link to absorb more damage." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. (Prima Games), pg. 15)
- "Link receives a Heart Container in most dungeons after defeating the dungeon's boss." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 15)
- "Also, a legend tells of four red crystal hearts hidden somewhere in the land of Tolemac. Each time Zelda finds and grabs one, her Life Meter increases by one heart." (Zelda's Adventure manual, pg. 3)
|Majora's Mask Trade Sequence|
|Moon's Tear > Land Title Deed > Swamp Title Deed > Mountain Title Deed > Ocean Title Deed > 5x Piece of Heart + 200 Rupees|