Happy Mask Salesman
Happy Mask Salesman artwork from
Majora's Mask 3D
|Race||Hylian (OoT, MM)|
|Other Media||Majora's Mask manga|
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
|Era||Era of the Hero of Time|
Era of Light and Dark
The Happy Mask Salesman is a recurring character in The Legend of Zelda series. He travels through different lands searching and collecting a wide variety of masks. He is most known for his erratic, sudden mood swings and is considered to be one of the more unnerving characters in the series, mostly because of his many mysterious and abnormal behaviors.
The Mask Salesman's origins are unknown, as he may either be from Hyrule or the parallel universe, Termina. Near the end of Majora's Mask, Link travels to the Moon and meets masked children who resemble the salesman. One of them indirectly implies that they have met a Mask Salesman.
One of the more disturbing features of the Happy Mask Salesman is that he usually never stops smiling at any point; however, if Link does not have enough Rupees to repay him for a sold mask in Ocarina of Time, his eyes will turn red, and his expression turns to one of insane rage. He only frowns once for a short period of time during his "rage" scene in Majora's Mask.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the Happy Mask Salesman appears within the Happy Mask Shop in the Market. He only opens his shop after Link delivers Zelda's Letter to the guard standing near the entrance to Death Mountain Trail. Here, he hires Link to be a "happiness salesman" by borrowing each of the shop's masks and then selling them, thus bringing "happiness to everyone." After selling all the four masks, Link receives the Mask of Truth which allows him to understand what the Gossip Stones say. Afterwards, he can borrow all the masks he has previously sold as well as four new mask models.
The Happy Mask Salesman is usually in a good mood, cheering Link on as he is selling the masks. However, if Link does not return with the money for the sold mask, the salesman's expression will suddenly turn to that of a deranged and berserk man. Strangely, his behavior will return to normal once Link enters the shop once again.
Once Link turns into an adult and the Market is destroyed, the Happy Mask Salesman is nowhere to be found. Despite this, he can be seen during the ending scene celebrating at Lon Lon Ranch.
In Majora's Mask, the Happy Mask Salesman plays a more prominent role. Prior to the events of Majora's Mask, he was continuing his search of masks as he traveled through the woods. However, he was suddenly ambushed by the Skull Kid and his two friends, Tatl and Tael. While he was unconscious, the imp went through the many masks that the salesman possessed, and eventually took a cursed mask known as Majora's Mask.
Once Link arrives in Termina, he too is assaulted by the Skull Kid, who steals his Ocarina of Time in the process. A series of events occur and Link is turned into a Deku Scrub by the Skull Kid wearing Majora's Mask, and the young hero, along with Tatl, eventually make their way into the Clock Tower. The Happy Mask Salesman appears from out of nowhere and reveals that he has been following Link and his fairy companion since he knows of a way to return him to his former shape; first, however, he would need to claim back the Ocarina that was stolen from him. In exchange, the salesman asks that Link also retrieve the "precious mask" that the Skull Kid stole from him, but he must do this in just three days before he has to mysteriously depart from Termina.
Eventually, with just a few hours before the Moon falls, Link and Tatl confront the Skull Kid at the top of the Clock Tower where the young hero retrieves his Ocarina and plays the "Song of Time" as he remembers Princess Zelda. With the Ocarina of Time in hand, Link returns to the Happy Mask Salesman, who keeps his promise and teaches the young hero a melody called the "Song of Healing" that heals troubled spirits and turns them into masks. Link's Deku form is encased into a mask upon playing the tune which the salesman gratefully gives to him. Having fulfilled his promise, the Happy Mask Salesman asks for his end of the deal, but once he learns of Link's failure to retrieve Majora's Mask, he becomes severely perturbed and violently shakes Link out of frustration. He explains the great lengths that he went through to obtain the mask as well as the true nature behind it. He reveals that if the mask is not taken away from the Skull Kid, "something horrible will happen:" mainly, the destruction of Clock Town and Termina itself. He begs Link to recover the mask for him, once again stressing the fact that he must leave in just three days which is coincidentally the same day of the Carnival of Time, as well as the time remaining that the Moon has before it crashes into Clock Town. As Link and Tatl set off to recover Majora's Mask, the Happy Mask Salesman waits patiently inside the Clock Tower for their return.
Once Link successfully defeats the evil inside Majora's Mask, the Moon vanishes into thin air thus saving the land of Termina. The Happy Mask Salesman finally obtains his mask which has seemingly lost its power and is now an ordinary mask. Since he is in the middle of his travels, he bids farewell, and seemingly suggesting Link that he should return to Hyrule. Before disappearing into nothingness, the salesman bows and remarks of all the people Link has managed to make happy.
The Happy Mask Salesman seems to know a lot about Link and his previous adventures, mentioning that retrieving Majora's Mask should be of no difficulty to someone like him. Moreover, if Link wears a mask in and speaks to him with it on, he will say something about that mask: what emotion it is filled with, its rarity, or something special about it. This ability could possibly be to truly demonstrate the Happy Mask Salesman's expertise when it comes to masks.
He is also notorious for his volatile temper, his wacky theme tune (which is a remix of the "Song of Healing") and his eerie ability to change position without moving. This may be to further enhance the character's strange, surreal appearance. In one scene, the Happy Mask Salesman plays on a massive piano that seems to appear out of nowhere. This piano is used to teach Link the "Song of Healing." After Link learns the song, the piano mysteriously disappears.
Oracle of Ages
In Oracle of Ages, the Happy Mask Salesman owns a mask shop on the outskirts of Lynna City. He is starving and will give Link the Doggie Mask in exchange for something to eat, namely the Tasty Meat from the Tokay cook. His appearance is almost identical to previous games, the one notable difference being his ears which are rounded and not pointed.
- Some people believe that the Happy Mask Salesman is, to a degree, based on Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of the Zelda series. This is due to the Happy Mask Salesman's hair and almost constant smile.
- The Happy Mask Salesman's piano in Majora's Mask is often mistaken for an organ, because the instrument has a large vertical soundboard and a triple-manual keyboard. Organs usually have two or more keyboards, and the vertical soundboard can be mistaken for pipe registers.
|Names in Other Regions|
| Happy Mask Shop Owner
(Ocarina of Time)
| Happy Mask Salesman|
|Japanese||店主 (Tenshu)||しあわせのお面屋 (Shiawase no O-Men Ya)|
|Spanish||Dueño de la Tienda de Máscaras Felices|| Viajero de la Tienda de Máscaras Felices (MM)|
Vendedor de máscaras (MM3D)
|French||Propriétaire de la Foire aux Masques||Vendeur de Masques|
|German||Maskenhändler||Besitzer des Fröhlichen Maskenladens|
|Italian||Mercante di maschere (OoT3D)||Felice, Venditore di maschere (MM3D)|
- "I own the Happy Mask Shop. I travel far and wide in search of masks..." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "Masks...You have...a lot. You, too...Will you be...a mask salesman?" — Children of the Moon (Majora's Mask)
- "Have you been to the Happy Mask Shop that just opened in the Hyrule Castle Town Market? Everyone is talking about it!" — Guard near Death Mountain Trail (Ocarina of Time)
- "We deal in masks that bring happiness to everyone! How would you like to be a happiness salesman? I'll lend you a mask. You sell the mask and bring the money back here. If you want to read the fine print, take a look at the sign right over there. After you've sold all the masks, you will become happy yourself! Have faith..." — Happy Mask Salesman (Ocarina of Time)
- "As a reward... I will lend you this special mask. This is the Mask of Truth. It is a mysterious mask passed down by the Sheikah." — Happy Mask Salesman (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh! You haven't sold the newest mask yet. Just have faith... Keep trying a little longer." — Happy Mask Salesman (Ocarina of Time)
- "What?! You don't have my money?! How dare you! You'd better bring me my money...or else!" — Happy Mask Salesman (Ocarina of Time)
- "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you? Now don't think me rude, but I have been following you... For I know of a way to return you to your former self." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "If you can get back the precious item that was stolen from you, I will return you to normal." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "In exchange... All I ask is that you also get back my precious mask that the imp stole from me. Except... The one thing is... I'm a very busy fellow... And I must leave this place in three days. How grateful I would be if you could bring it back to me before my time here is up..." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "Then listen to me. Please play this song that I am about to perform, and remember it well... This is a melody that heals evil magic and troubled spirits, turning them into masks. I am sure it will be of assistance to you in the future." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "Ah, yes. I give you this mask in commemoration of this day." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "Now, I have fulfilled my promise to you... So, please, give me that which you promised me... Don't tell me... My mask... You did... get it back...Didn't you? What have you done to me!!!" — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "I went to great lengths to get that legendary mask. When I finally had it... I could sense the doom of a dark omen brewing. It was that unwelcome feeling that makes your hair stand on end. And now... that imp has it... I am begging you! You must get that mask back quickly or something horrible will happen!" — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "Oh...So the evil has left the mask after all... Well, now...I finally have it back." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "Since I am in the midst of my travels... I must bid you farewell. Shouldn't you be returning home? Whenever there's a meeting a parting is sure to follow. However, the parting need not last forever..." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "...But, my, you sure have managed to make quite a number of people happy. The masks you have are filled with happiness. This is truly a good happiness." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "What? Is it not a simple task? Why, to someone like you, it should by no means be a difficult task." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "I'm so hungry my stomach hurts. AHH! I'M HUNGRY! Pardon me. I just thought you could help." — Happy Mask Salesman (Oracle of Ages)
- "Ho ho... They're off to confront that little demon. Now for the real show. If I can only get that mask back, I'll no longer have a need for this world. I just move on. Ho... Ho ho ho..." (Majora's Mask manga (Viz Media), pg. 144)