Goddess of Time
Tatl calling upon the Goddess of Time
|Other Media||Oracle of Ages manga|
Era of Light and Dark
The Goddess of Time is an obscure deity in the Zelda series.
While the Goddess of Time is never physically seen, her presence is very apparent as the force behind Link's time-travel abilities. Her powers can be called upon by playing the mysterious "Song of Time" on the sacred Ocarina of Time, and she will answer the one holding the Ocarina of Time by sending them back through time.
She is first mentioned by Princess Zelda when Link leaves on his journey to locate Navi, following the end of Ocarina of Time. This encounter is recalled by Link when he reclaims the Ocarina of Time from the Skull Kid's possession atop the Clock Tower in South Clock Town on the night of the Final Day, the eve of the Carnival of Time. Zelda reassures him that the Goddess of Time is protecting him and that, if he plays the "Song of Time," she will come to his aid should he need her.
Unlike the Golden Goddesses, who do not seem to be revered in Termina at all, the Goddess of Time is mentioned by a few Terminans, who usually call out to her for her protective powers. When Tatl exclaims that they need more time, she calls out for the help of the Goddess of Time after Link remembers his encounter with Zelda. The man who takes shelter in the Oceanside Spider House also asks the Goddess of Time for her protection from the falling Moon.
Using the power of the Ocarina of Time, Link plays the "Song of Time" and is surprised to find himself speeding back through time, landing in front of the Clock Tower at the Dawn of the First Day. Link makes use of this power granted to him by the Goddess of Time countless times throughout his adventure to save Termina and eventually succeeds in his efforts of freeing the Four Giants, something he could not have accomplished without this power.
- "The Goddess of Time is protecting you. If you play the Song of Time, she will aid you..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- "Somebody! Anybody!!! Goddess of Time, help us please! We need more time!" — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- "Only a little more than two days left...Oh, Goddess of Time, please save me..." — Man in Oceanside Spider House (Majora's Mask)
- "W-What just happened?! Everything has... ...started over... Wha...What are you, anyway? That song you played... That instrument..." — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- "Waahhhhh! This isn't good! Let's go back! Let's go back! Hurry! The Song of Time! The Song of Time!!!" — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- "But my fate is certain. I cannot outwit the Goddess of Time." (The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages manga (Vizkids), pg. 27)
- "The God of Wisdom created science and wizardry and brought order to nature." (A Link to the Past manual, pg. 3)
- "Nayru...poured her wisdom onto the earth and gave the spirit of law to the world." — Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)
- "Link, I remember it all now... Link, I'm Ciela the Spirit of Time and Courage..." — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)