|Other Media||Skyward Sword manga|
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Link and his guardian bird share a special connection that is noted by several Skyloftians. When Link first met his Loftwing, they formed an immediate bond and the young boy was able to fly on the bird without even needing instructions. Because the Crimson Loftwing is so rare, it makes Link stand out among the rest of the citizens.
Before the Wing Ceremony begins, Groose and his friends kidnap the Crimson Loftwing to impede Link from competing in the race. With the help of Pipit, Link finds out from Fledge that they locked the Loftwing near the Waterfall Cave. The young hero then ventures past the Waterfall Cave to free his Loftwing, allowing him to participate and eventually win the Wing Ceremony. From then on, Link is able to travel to numerous islands or to The Surface with the help of his Loftwing.
When Link has to meet Levias, Owlan teaches Link's Loftwing the Spiral Charge which he must master in order to confront the sky spirit infested with parasites. Although it is an advanced move that only senior Knight Academy students may learn, he teaches it to the Crimson Loftwing due to the circumstances.
The Loftwing is controlled by tilting the Wii Remote in the desired direction. Similar to Epona in past games, the Loftwing possesses a limited number of three boosts, usable by pressing the "A" button that can also be used to damage enemies. The Loftwing will only fly a certain height into The Sky, and will not fly below the Cloud Barrier. Link can speed up while riding his Loftwing by using one of the aforementioned boosts, by flying high and then diving, or by flying through one of the circular rocks across The Sky. Link can dive off of the Loftwing at any time by pressing down, usually used to land on an island.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese|| 紅いロフトバード (Akai Rofutobādo)
| Crimson Loftbird|
|SpanishLA||Neburí rojo||Red Neburi|
- "This is very odd, Link. What could have possibly happened to your Loftwing? For a bird to ignore the call of his master... It's unheard of!" — Gaepora (Skyward Sword)
- "Of course, that Crimson Loftwing of yours is something special. I'd feel pretty confident riding him, too!" — Pipit (Skyward Sword)
- "The bird that came to him was a Crimson Loftwing. It is a breed so rare we were sure for some time that it had vanished from the line." — Gaepora (Skyward Sword)
- "Yes, and the boy and his bird seemed to share a profound connection from the moment they met. Do you recall seeing Link and that Loftwing of his when they first met? What a sight! The little boy just hopped up on that bird and gracefully flew away, without even a moment of instruction! They were meant for each other." — Gaepora (Skyward Sword)
- "I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to suspect that those blockheads had something to do with your Loftwing's disappearance." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "It sounds like Groose and his buddies had a plan to capture your bird and hide him near a waterfall. Well, near a waterfall would mean... Quick--let's take a look at your map." — Pipit (Skyward Sword)
- "However, the acceleration effect lasts longer than any attack move you've used so far. Maintaining stable flight can be tricky. This is a technique that only senior Knight Academy students who have mastered high-level flight skills are allowed to perform. It's still a bit too early for you, but... This is an extraordinary circumstance, so I'll make an exception this time. However, I will test you." — Owlan (Skyward Sword)