A Cow from Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D
|Game(s)||Ocarina of Time|
The Minish Cap
Cows are a recurring species in The Legend of Zelda. They are Hyrule's primary source of Milk, and are kept in the land's various farms. A few cows seem to strangely possess the ability to talk, such as speaking to Link.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, cows can be found all over Hyrule. Many can be found in various holes and caverns, but a few are also kept at Lon Lon Ranch, and tended to by Talon and Malon. In this game, a free Bottle of Milk can be obtained by playing Epona's Song in front of a cow. They will appreciate the song, and give Link milk for it. In the Master Quest version, several cows can be found Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly. These cows serve a rather odd function of being a switch, unlocking doors and dropping Treasure Chests or items when hit by the Slingshot.
Link can win his own cow by beating the Obstacle Course record at Lon Lon Ranch. The cow will be delivered to his treehouse and can be found in his room.
Cows are also featured in Majora's Mask. They are not as commonly found around Termina as they are in Hyrule, but there are several special "Romani-Bred" cows at Romani Ranch, from which one can milk Chateau Romani. As in Ocarina of Time, Epona's Song can be played to a cow, and they will produce regular milk to give to Link for free. The Ghosts come on the first day to abduct the cows from the Ranch, and Link is hired by Romani to fend them off. If Link fails, the cows are taken, and the girl with them.
The Minish Cap
Cows also appear in The Minish Cap, although they appear slightly differently than their past incarnations. The majority of these cows appear in Lon Lon Ranch under the care of Talon and Malon, where they produce Lon Lon Milk that Malon brings to Hyrule Town, via Epona and cart, to be sold. Cows also serve as the occasional road blocks and will only move once Link has progressed further on his quest.
Breath of the Wild
- Main article: Hateno Cow
- "Moooooooooo! What a nice song... It reminds me of the pasture... That song makes me feel so good, I can produce a lot of milk! Have some of my refreshing and nutritious milk!" — Cow (Ocarina of Time)
- "The special Romani-bred cows are the source of Chateau Romani, the most desired of forbidden milk! It is a mystical milk that fills you with Magic Power..." — Cremia (Majora's Mask)
- "Moo! Nice moooosic. It reminds me of the pasture. That song just makes me want to let go and put out a lot of milk! I'll give some to you. Milk will make you very healthy." — Cow (Majora's Mask)
- "My older sister won't believe me... But Romani must protect the cows! Hey, Grasshopper, I'm recruiting for an assistant right now! You're a boy, won't you try?" — Romani (Majora's Mask)
- "Answer me this... Pick one of the three choices... How many tiny cow figurines are there in Clock Town?" — Keaton (Majora's Mask)