Bow of Light
|Bow of Light|
The Bow of Light, as seen in A Link Between Worlds
|Use(s)||Charging Arrows with sacred Light and repel evil|
|Comparable Item(s)||Light Arrow|
The Bow of Light is a recurring relic in the Zelda series, first featured in Spirit Tracks.
Location and Uses
The Bow of Light is obtained following the defeat of the Ancient Demon Skeldritch in the Sand Temple. The bow was once wielded by the Spirits of Good during their war against the Demon King Malladus. Following the war, the bow was placed in the depths of the Sand Temple deep in the heart of the Sand Realm.
The bow has the unique ability to charge arrows with sacred Light and to repel evil forces, becoming a Light Arrow. If held down long enough, Light will be infused into an Arrow, but if released quickly, the Arrow will fire like any normal Arrow.
The Bow of Light plays a pivotal role in the final battle against the Demon King Malladus as Link and Princess Zelda seek to banish Malladus from Zelda's body and help her spirit reconnect with it. In the battle within the Dark Realm, Link uses the Bow of Light to shoot Malladus while Zelda holds him in place, thus banishing Malladus's presence from the princess's body. It also proves to be essential in the final battle with Malladus when he takes over the body of Cole and attempts to go on a rampage of destruction. In this battle, Link distracted the Demon King long enough for Zelda to shoot a weak spot on his back with the Bow of Light, eventually creating an opening for Link to destroy Malladus's two horns protecting a crystal on his head and thus leaving the crystal open to attack. Once the crystal is destroyed by Link and Zelda with the use of the Lokomo Sword, Malladus and Cole both perish, thus restoring peace to Hyrule.
A Link Between Worlds
The Bow of Light makes only a brief appearance late in the game, but is necessary to defeat Yuga. After he fuses with Ganon, Yuga engages Link in a game of Dead Man's Volley, and after being successfully struck, he merges into the wall, thus becoming invulnerable. It is at this point that Zelda, speaking through her painting, gives Link the Bow of Light. As a painting, Link must shoot Light Arrows into Yuga's back to stun him, at which point he is forced to emerge from the wall and is left vulnerable to sword strikes. Once this process is repeated twice more, Yuga is defeated.
This particular Bow of Light is unique in that it is the only item Link may wield while merged into the wall and cannot be used outside of one, possibly due to Zelda being trapped as a painting herself when she supplies it. It should be noted that it is impossible to keep the bow after the final battle because the game cannot save after obtaining it.
Breath of the Wild
In Breath of the Wild, the Bow of Light is given by Princess Zelda to Link before the final battle against Dark Beast Ganon. It has an attack power of 100, fires infinite arrows of pure light, and has infinite durability. However, like in A Link Between Worlds, it may only be used in the final battle. Keeping the bow after that is impossible, as it will be gone from Link's inventory after the game is completed and reloaded.
It is crucial in the fight against Dark Beast Ganon, as it is the only weapon capable of damaging the creature. Link must wait for Zelda to weaken Ganon's power, then shoot arrows with the Bow of Light in the weak spots Zelda creates. Once Ganon is sufficiently weakened, an eye representing its very core and essence will appear on its forehead; once Link shoots that weak spot with one last arrow of light, Ganon falls defeated.
- In Spirit Tracks, the Bow of Light has the same shape as the Symbol of the Spirits of Good. This is consistent with other weapons used by the Spirits of Good, such as the Lokomo Sword.
- The Bow of Light fits in a long tradition of Sacred Arrows and Bows used by Link or Zelda to help destroy the final boss.
- Unlike in Spirit Tracks and A Link Between Worlds, the Bow of Light is not required to defeat the final boss in Breath of the Wild, as the ancient arrows, the Twilight Bow and the Master Sword's beam is able to damage Dark Beast Ganon.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||光の弓 (Hikari no Yumi)||Bow of Light|
|Spanish||Arco de Luz||Bow of Light|
|SpanishLA||Arco y flechas de luz (ALBW)||Bow and arrows of light|
|French||Arc de lumière||Bow of Light|
|Italian||Arco di luce (ALBW)|
- "In the battle between the Demon King and the spirits, there was a weapon called the Bow of Light... Perhaps it can drive his spirit from your body." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Go to the final temple, the Sand Temple. The Bow of Light is located deep inside." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "You distract Malladus, Link. When I see an opportunity, I'll shoot him in the back with the Bow of Light." — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)