|Game(s)||The Legend of Zelda|
Oracle of Seasons
|Other Media||The Legend of Zelda Game Watch|
The Legend of Zelda animated series
Oracle of Seasons manga
Gnarled Root Dungeon
Aquamentus is a recurring boss in The Legend of Zelda series. Though its size may be intimidating, the strategy required to defeat it is simple: with its head, or rather specifically its horn as its prime weak spot, Link must only strike it upon the head to vanquish it in both incarnations.
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda Manual Comment
Aquamentus is fought as a main boss in Level-1 and Level-7 in the First Quest, and returns as the boss of the Level-1 in the Second Quest as well. However, it also appears as a mini-boss in some other labyrinths.
If Link rushes into the creature's whereabouts unprepared, it can be a little challenging. If Rupees are saved up for a shield first, then this enemy can be defeated easily. Aquamentus will periodically shoot three fireballs simultaneously at Link, each of which can dish out plenty of damage, but none will even so much as graze the hero if he blocks them with a Magical Shield. Even without the expensive shield, the fireballs can be dodged easily if Link is not too close. Since it is unlikely that Link will have the Magical Shield, the best strategy is to watch for his mouth opening to see when he is about to fire these beams so they can be avoided, or attack from a distance with Sword Beams or the Bow if possible.
Aside from its projectiles, the only method this beast has of harming the hero is bumping into him. Considering how slowly the bulky dragon moves, his tackles are not very threatening. Link can damage Aquamentus by hitting its horn with Arrows, his Sword, or well-placed Bombs. Bombs can inflict much more damage than Link's Wooden Sword, so these explosives can come in handy during the first fight against this dragon if Link has them.
Oracle of Seasons
Aquamentus is once again the boss of the first labyrinth, known as Gnarled Root Dungeon, a similar dungeon to Level-1. Unlike in his first appearance, Link doesn't have a chance to "buff up" much before fighting this monster. Link can move diagonally and has access to the Spin Attack now, but Aquamentus also has a new attack in the form of a dangerous charge across the screen. After impacting on the far wall, Aquamentus will take to the air using its wings before landing back on the right side of the room and continuing his attack. Since the dragon is larger than it was, it is also slightly harder to hit his horn. Before emitting beams, its horn will glow. When Aquamentus has sustained enough damage, his horn will be removed, his power will wane and he shall be destroyed. Upon the dragon's defeat, Link receives a Heart Container and the first Essence of Nature, Fertile Soil.
- Aquamentus is the first boss to appear in the history of The Legend of Zelda animated series. Despite this, he has only appeared in as many main series games as Digdogger and Patra and is the only boss not to have any related species.
- Aquamentus is based on a unicorn and a dragon.
|Names in Other Regions|
Aquamentus in BS The Legend of Zelda
- "Aquamentus: A Unicorn having lots of attacking power. It emits beams." (The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 37)
- "Fans of the original NES Zelda may experience déjà vu as they confront the Dungeon Boss, the Aquamentus." (The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages Player's Guide (Nintendo of America), pg. 19)
- "Zelda! Help! This monstrous Aquamentus wants me for lunch!" — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 8 )
- "Bombs away!" — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 8 )